Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

57 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

We will be there cup final.

I ****ing hate this, such an arrogant and complacent view. We’re not even that good, to be getting out worked because ‘it’s their cup final’ is ****ing pathetic

3 hours ago, It'sblueupnorth said:

I ****ing hate this, such an arrogant and complacent view. We’re not even that good, to be getting out worked because ‘it’s their cup final’ is ****ing pathetic

Isn’t it just because we share a commonality in Nige? Their cup final would be either an actual cup final or playing Rovers I assume.

The goal at the start of the season was to win the league, the goal remains now to win the league. We are currently top of the league and have been pretty much all season.

There are 4 outstanding teams in this division, who have all had exceptional runs of form, and wobbles just occurring at different times. Ours looks worse because we were the team who jumped out the blocks early, but being on 82 points from 37 games is a fantastic effort and would normally pretty much have a promotion place in the bag now. 
We do have 3 other teams that are also in the race and having great season. 
So in this context, whilst the goal remains to win the league, I’ll still be one of those happy clappers jumping up and down going mad if we sneak into second on the final day.

Context does matter! And for context one, potentially two of the teams who have had outstanding season will not be going up. So yeah, whilst not quiet the goal, the bigger picture is we need to go up this season.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Finishing 2nd having been so far ahead would feel tainted and I'm fascinated by those who proclaimed we'd piss the league whilst also trying to stick up for how crap we've been in recent weeks. I see you. 

However, this league is a horrible slog and although it's par for the course for us to go up it still could have or may not happen as we were an absolute bin fire when Enzo took over.

If we'd done what many anticipated which was start slowly and then get better, if we finished on 97-98 points and grabbed 2nd then we'd be far more content than what appeared a procession to get the record points total and now in the balance to even get to 100 points. Context is everything in that regard and unfortunately we've historically started very well and dropped off over the years more than the other way around.

Enzo's inexperience is showing currently but I'd not be surprised to see us regroup and go on to get 7 wins and win the league, equally if we did blow it the warning signs have been there since as early as January.

It will be massive to have Ricardo, Ndidi and Vardy all fit and playing for the rest of the season (with the other important spine too).

tbf i think the players seem a bit fatigued; so the international break is coming at a good time for us, and the fact Ricky P, Ndidi and Vardy should be fitter too will help as well, plus a rest and a refocus for the last push should help imo;

think either way we'll see some shock results from our rivals in the run in

Edited by FrankieADZ
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Kasey Keller said:

Leicester are currently 7/1 to end up in the playoffs…..

gonna lump a silly £150 on to soften the blow when we inevitably fvck it up

like printing money???

IMG_0397.png

Might do the same. Lump a juicy 500 on. If we end up top 2, it'll be 500 well spent. Basically just doubling my season ticket. Worth every penny. 

**** it up, a tasty 3.5k compo.

Edit, I did the same prior to Burnley away in the last promotion campaign. Worth every penny.

Edited by Paninistickers
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Kasey Keller said:

like printing money???

IMG_0397.png

We were as high as 28/1 only three weeks ago in this market! £150 on that would have been quite some softener ! 

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Finishing 2nd having been so far ahead would feel tainted and I'm fascinated by those who proclaimed we'd piss the league whilst also trying to stick up for how crap we've been in recent weeks. I see you. 

However, this league is a horrible slog and although it's par for the course for us to go up it still could have or may not happen as we were an absolute bin fire when Enzo took over.

If we'd done what many anticipated which was start slowly and then get better, if we finished on 97-98 points and grabbed 2nd then we'd be far more content than what appeared a procession to get the record points total and now in the balance to even get to 100 points. Context is everything in that regard and unfortunately we've historically started very well and dropped off over the years more than the other way around.

Enzo's inexperience is showing currently but I'd not be surprised to see us regroup and go on to get 7 wins and win the league, equally if we did blow it the warning signs have been there since as early as January.

It will be massive to have Ricardo, Ndidi and Vardy all fit and playing for the rest of the season (with the other important spine too).

Wonder how certain it is that Ricardo will be available after the international break?

54 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Might do the same. Lump a juicy 500 on. If we end up top 2, it'll be 500 well spent. Basically just doubling my season ticket. Worth every penny. 

**** it up, a tasty 3.5k compo.

Edit, I did the same prior to Burnley away in the last promotion campaign. Worth every penny.

Problem with doing this kind of thing is that you eventually start wanting it to happen!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kasey Keller said:

like printing money???

IMG_0397.png

Like a waste of money. 

Listen, I can’t give anyone advice about betting. I had a stupid idea at the beginning of the 2015/16 season. I thought, ‘What if we carry on winning like we did at the end of the Great Escape Season - we might win the league!’. I opened an account with an online bookies, saw Leicester at 5000:1. Put £5 in the box and hovered my finger over the mouse about to press click to lay the bet - and then a terrible thing happened. Rational thinking. ‘This would just be a waste of a fiver’ I thought - so I closed the browser. True story. 

• Sad 2

11 minutes ago, CheeseHead said:

Problem with doing this kind of thing is that you eventually start wanting it to happen!

This is why I could never, ever bet against the club I support.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

You’re not wrong at all that finishing second (even though it’s achieving the initial aim) would feel a bit of a negative given we were top for so long. I still think there would be plenty of positives to take from achieving the initial aim despite a drop (if we do actually drop). 

1. very few really good teams who drop, go up plain sailing and even fewer go up straight away. West Ham, Reading, Wigan (fa cup winners), Villa and even Harry’s QPR team struggled in this league and some for a few season. Some haven’t recovered! To do it first time, given the events of last year and the rebuild that is far from complete IS a huge achievement. There is also evidence of those bigger, better teams on power struggling down here and then doing far better once up.

2. Enzo is in his infant management years as a manager - as you say there are parts of that inexperience showing. I use Arteta rather than Kompany. He will only get better.

3. The squad is so far from being good for what Enzo will do, a couple of players out and a couple in will do wonders next year. A PL status will help us get the better technical player to fit Enzo’s style. 

4. As a manager he is learning far more about these players than in any of the previous months. That’s huge. 

5. In any other season, forget third, the team that finishes 4th would be clear and run away leaders of this league. All four teams know that. All players know that. Compete at that level for 46 games for all four teams will sit them in good stead IF they finish on the right side of the line. 

6. I think, regardless of finish, when the dust settles all the remaining will have strong finishes - once they are able to assess that come the close season and provided the aim has been achieved, that can be used as momentum next season. 

It’s a ridiculously tough league and any other season, we are already up. It’s just 4 top teams slogging it out this year as to why we are not. Maintaining (or in our case, regaining) high standards can and will be momentum next year. 

Personally, I think Leeds will win it. Farke’s experience might show through. But I genuinely believe we have the guy with a far greater ceiling long term. 

• Like 4

It's mad to think that at least 1, possibly 2 teams will get 90+ points and not get automatic promotion. I can't think of many teams over the years in this league, that have got that many points and not got automatics. 

6 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

It's mad to think that at least 1, possibly 2 teams will get 90+ points and not get automatic promotion. I can't think of many teams over the years in this league, that have got that many points and not got automatics. 

90 points is the highest 3rd place finish i believe. Sunderland in the 90s? 

2 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

90 points is the highest 3rd place finish i believe. Sunderland in the 90s? 

Luton finished 3rd last season on 80 points and we've already exceeded that, and Leeds and Ipswich will do soon, closely followed by Southampton. Definitely fair to say, this league is much tougher this season than it was last season.

On 08/03/2024 at 00:29, bovril said:

A revolutionary tactic I'm sure we'll all agree

ie. winning in games where the opposition score, as opposed to winning games when their opponent fail to score.

smart arse.

9 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Just reading how Plymouth fans want their manager gone. Could really do with him picking up a couple of results and keep him in situ for our game he has changed their style and playing young on loan premier league loan players that are out of their depth in the championship…. Under pressure for sure 

2 hours ago, weller54 said:

Wonder how certain it is that Ricardo will be available after the international break?

Let's hope it's just the month we were told, if so should be back for the run of games over Easter.

12 hours ago, Kasey Keller said:

like printing money???

IMG_0397.png

Ughh, I think I'll probably do this. 

I did the same last season - Bet on us to be relegated when we were 5/1. It was the first time I'd ever bet against us...wasn't proud of myself lol

I thought we were the worst team in the league last year so bet accordingly - I do actually think that we'll still finish in the top two this year though so it would just be insurance!