Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

I mean I'm peed off because in my 6 fold accy I would have won a tenner from just 50p if it wasnt for them, but is it just me or are Middlesbrough, who most seem to think are challengers, full of nobodies.

I'm looking at their line up, I think I've heard of the keeper, McNair and Forss and that's it. Maybe it's just me and my ignorance but surely if these are supposed to be among our close rivals for promotion it fills me with optimism. Our team shits all over them. And they're losing to Millwall.

Screenshot_2023-08-05-16-52-32-72_df198e732186825c8df26e3c5a10d7cd.jpg

3 minutes ago, FoxyJim1987 said:

I mean I'm peed off because in my 6 fold accy I would have won a tenner from just 50p if it wasnt for them, but is it just me or are Middlesbrough, who most seem to think are challengers, full of nobodies.

I'm looking at their line up, I think I've heard of the keeper, McNair and Forss and that's it. Maybe it's just me and my ignorance but surely if these are supposed to be among our close rivals for promotion it fills me with optimism. Our team shits all over them. And they're losing to Millwall.

Fry was once tipped for big things, Crooks has been handy for them. Rogers is a young lad from Man City who is sure I’ve heard of or come across before, but I think the majority of peoples opinions are based on the job Carrick did last year.

4 minutes ago, FoxyJim1987 said:

Well we haven't been in the Championship in nearly a decade. I haven't heard of 90% of the players in this division either. 

The only Boro player I've heard of is McNair, assuming it's Paddy McNair.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

"Our team shits over them" doesn't cut it, as we know before. We were tipped to win the league under Sven with all the money and players we had, look where that ended up.

I still struggle to see how we score goals and I wouldn't be surprised if Coventry do what Millwall have done today. Both sides overachieve and know how to grind out wins.

A lot of people being disrespectful are gonna be surprised this season.

Totally agree, and the fact the bookies and "experts" have already given us the title is setting us up to fail. Most of us won't have heard of that many players in the championship as we haven't played in this league for nearly 10 years. Teams will also up their game against us as we will be seen as a scalp. Similar to last season where the bookies and "experts" said we were too good to go down. They don't have a clue about our squad and don't fully understand that many of our players are crap, and that isn't going to change going down a league. I agree with you that we will struggle to score goals unless we can add some creativity before the window closes. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

Totally agree, and the fact the bookies and "experts" have already given us the title is setting us up to fail. Most of us won't have heard of that many players in the championship as we haven't played in this league for nearly 10 years. Teams will also up their game against us as we will be seen as a scalp. Similar to last season where the bookies and "experts" said we were too good to go down. They don't have a clue about our squad and don't fully understand that many of our players are crap, and that isn't going to change going down a league. I agree with you that we will struggle to score goals unless we can add some creativity before the window closes. 

I agree completely that simply predicting that relegated sides will do well automatically is really lazy. We, like every other side, start on zero points and if we want to do well we have to earn it. And it will not be easy.

But I don't agree that many of our players are crap. I don't think we have a single player who has absolutely no chance of being really good this season*.
But they'll need to be used in the right way, with the right other players around them, and those other players also being used in the right way.

And that's the big unknown. Can Maresca do that? None of us have the faintest idea. We'll start finding out tomorrow! Come on Leicester!

*Well okay, I'll be truly astonished if Ward did this...

1 hour ago, FoxyJim1987 said:

I thought the same when looking at all the championship line ups today have u not heard of Mark Mcgree 

Edited by kyleolly

27 minutes ago, Sparrowhawk said:

I agree completely that simply predicting that relegated sides will do well automatically is really lazy. We, like every other side, start on zero points and if we want to do well we have to earn it. And it will not be easy.

But I don't agree that many of our players are crap. I don't think we have a single player who has absolutely no chance of being really good this season*.
But they'll need to be used in the right way, with the right other players around them, and those other players also being used in the right way.

And that's the big unknown. Can Maresca do that? None of us have the faintest idea. We'll start finding out tomorrow! Come on Leicester!

*Well okay, I'll be truly astonished if Ward did this...

I'm basing this on how some of them have performed for the club so far. A drop in league does not guarantee they will improve. 

We have some quality with the likes of Ricardo, Justin, Coady, Iheancho, Winks (hopefully), Doyle (was very good at cov last year), Castagne (although inconsistent).

Hopefully Vardy can score us some goals but him and Albrighton are coming to the end. 

Question marks over Praet, Hamza, Faes, Souttar, Kristiansen, Thomas (although was good for England u21's), KDH (was good at Blackpool and Luton at this level), Ndidi and Daka. 

Mavididi and Hermansen unproven. 

Iversen good at Preston but doesn't seem fancied by Maresca.

Soumare and Vestergaard both crap but the latter seems fancied by Maresca so maybe a change of manager could get the best out of him. 

I just feel that the media think our squad is better than it is. We are still short in certain areas and any injuries to key players and we could really struggle. If we can get 2 or 3 more quality players before the window shuts then ill be happy but if the squad stays like this then it could be a struggle.

Edited by jayfox26
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FoxyJim1987 said:

top scorer is moving to sheffield u and their other 3 best players were on loan. they are nothjng to worry about unless they get archer and ramsey back from villa 

Edited by Lambert09

Can't see ITV breaking viewing records, when replaying highlights of the league's games - as well as the other football league ones - after 23:00.

Edit: Apologies; just saw after posting the above that ITV4 have it on at 21:00.

Edited by Wymsey

4 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Can't see ITV breaking viewing records, when replaying highlights of the league's games - as well as the other football league ones - after 23:00.

Edit: Apologies; just saw after posting the above that ITV4 have it on at 21:00.

It gets repeated on ITV later on in the evening, I believe. No idea why, given everyone has ITV4 with Freeview these days.

• Thanks 1