Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

I'm sure this is a dumb question, and it doesn't matter at this stage of course, but several teams won 2-1 this weekend and have been ordered as such in the table...

Ipswich

Southampton

Blackburn

Leicester

Norwich

Is the order just randomised at this stage? Presumed it would default to alphabetical all else equal.

2 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

I'm sure this is a dumb question, and it doesn't matter at this stage of course, but several teams won 2-1 this weekend and have been ordered as such in the table...

Ipswich

Southampton

Blackburn

Leicester

Norwich

Is the order just randomised at this stage? Presumed it would default to alphabetical all else equal.

Ok answered my own question...away in alphabetical, then home in alphabetical. Weird.

2 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Ipswich

Southampton

Blackburn

Leicester

Norwich

The teams that won 2-1 away from home are ranked above. The others go in alphabetical order. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Corky said:

Are QPR really that bad? Their squad doesn't seem terrible.

Mates a QPR season ticket holder and he put £10 on them to be relegated after they lost 5-0 to Oxford in a pre season friendly a week ago. Martin Allen vibes from their manager 

9 minutes ago, alanf0x said:

Mates a QPR season ticket holder and he put £10 on them to be relegated after they lost 5-0 to Oxford in a pre season friendly a week ago. Martin Allen vibes from their manager 

That is what I mean. Is it the squad or the manager?

There's a lot of hype around Ipswich. One podcast predicted them to finish 3rd and another predicted them to finish 2nd! I think they will do well but I think they will be like Bournemouth were the last time we were in the championship. If you can remember Bournemouth had just been promoted with Eddie Howe as their manager and looked like they had something about them and that they would go up eventually. It was a year too soon for them but they finished top half. I think Ipswich will finish top half but be a real threat next season. 

• Like 1

There weren't too many big surprises on the opening weekend then. Most of the fancied teams did pretty well, Leeds probably the biggest upset amongst the favourites. Middlesbrough too, though Millwall were a reasonably decent team last season. Got to take advantage of the fixtures we have this month and set a really good foundation.

26 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

There's a lot of hype around Ipswich. One podcast predicted them to finish 3rd and another predicted them to finish 2nd! I think they will do well but I think they will be like Bournemouth were the last time we were in the championship. If you can remember Bournemouth had just been promoted with Eddie Howe as their manager and looked like they had something about them and that they would go up eventually. It was a year too soon for them but they finished top half. I think Ipswich will finish top half but be a real threat next season. 

Danger for them is losing their manager. On paper that's not a top half side. But the manager is a class act. 

56 minutes ago, Corky said:

That is what I mean. Is it the squad or the manager?

He said the recent Maori war dance at training sums them up at present (the manager). Similar to Allen worrying about the colour of the flowers at the training ground…but overlooking the issues with the team! 

7 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

a bit like us then 😂

Leeds' fortunes (unlike ours, I think) depend mostly on what they do in the rest of the window.  They completely dominated Cardiff - 72% possession and 25 shots, could easily have had 5-6 goals,  Apart from lacking a true striker they have dynamic talent up front and it was on display yesterday, but will the likes of Gnonto and Summerville still be there next month?  Almost all their traffic has been one-way (outbound), with only Ampadu added.  Unlike Leicester their squad depth is already non-existent - they need to add 3-4 more players minimum even without any more outgoings.

OTOH, they have something special in Gray.  Normally you'd say he'd be gone within a year or two but given his incredible family legacy with the club, who knows.

10 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Just dawned on me how favourable our first 5 fixtures are. Really got to be taking 11/13 points from these games and staking an early claim.

When the fixtures came out I said we should be taking maximum points this month.

Coventry was always gonna be the tougher home game out of Cardiff/Hull/Bristol City who are all poor sides and we should be beating. Next month looks more difficult away from home (Southampton/Norwich).

14 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

Ipswich are likely to get punished for their endeavour. If we get firing they’re a team we could comfortably out to the sword. I think they’re an exciting team, but I do question how they will do against better sides with better attackers.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Just dawned on me how favourable our first 5 fixtures are. Really got to be taking 11/13 points from these games and staking an early claim.

We should be looking to go away to Southampton on 15th August as the league leaders to be honest.

Games until then are;

Huddersfield away

Cardiff home

Rotherham away

Hull home

I expect all four of those teams to end up in the bottom 10 or so.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Ipswich are likely to get punished for their endeavour. If we get firing they’re a team we could comfortably out to the sword. I think they’re an exciting team, but I do question how they will do against better sides with better attackers.

Ipswich remind me of when we got promoted from League 1 to be honest.

They don't have the talent to push on for automatics but I think they'll go on a decent run at some point to get play-offs.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Lionator said:

There's been a lot said about Coventry's (and other teams) poor finishing. However when we went up in 2014/15, the main difference I observed was just how lethal top flight teams are in front of goal. That season was especially frustrating as we were dominating a lot of teams but just conceding an insane amount of clinical goals. It doesn't surprise me that the first thing that we're noticing is how less lethal teams are. 

Massive difference is the taking of chances.

When we were in the PL there were a select number of players that just need that once chance to score when being put through. Kane being the main one. I remember Man Utd away last season, we failed to take chances at 0-0 yet the first chance they had they scored (Rashford). I think teams coming to our place this season will feel the same way as we did against the top teams in the PL. Cov could/should have been 3 up before we even scored one yesterday.