Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

6 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Ipswich remind me of when we got promoted from League 1 to be honest.

They don't have the talent to push on for automatics but I think they'll go on a decent run at some point to get play-offs.

They’re my outside shout to do well. 

I’ve got a strange feeling Plymouth will flirt with the play offs, no idea why, but just have a feeling they will surprise a few people this season. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pliskin said:

I’ve got a strange feeling Plymouth will flirt with the play offs, no idea why, but just have a feeling they will surprise a few people this season. 

Steven Schumacher is a good manager. They're organised and know their strengths.

Bali Mumba is a great player as well. Can't believe they were able to get him so cheap.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

It's the away form of these teams that will be interesting. Plymouth have got Watford away next.

But Schumacher is a good manager and I never understood why people were naming McKenna on our "next manager" threads but Schumacher never seemed to get mentioned.

15 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

There's a lot of hype around Ipswich. One podcast predicted them to finish 3rd and another predicted them to finish 2nd! I think they will do well but I think they will be like Bournemouth were the last time we were in the championship. If you can remember Bournemouth had just been promoted with Eddie Howe as their manager and looked like they had something about them and that they would go up eventually. It was a year too soon for them but they finished top half. I think Ipswich will finish top half but be a real threat next season. 

I watched their match yesterday and they were extremely lucky to win that 

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

There's been a lot said about Coventry's (and other teams) poor finishing. However when we went up in 2014/15, the main difference I observed was just how lethal top flight teams are in front of goal. That season was especially frustrating as we were dominating a lot of teams but just conceding an insane amount of clinical goals. It doesn't surprise me that the first thing that we're noticing is how less lethal teams are. 

Absolutely this. 

But of course it's only natural players will slightly drop their standards knowing they are much less likely to get punished. And also why a good goalkeeper is essential in the PL. In fairness, Hermansen yesterday did exactly what a PL keeper does and makes goal saving saves. (Also illustrates why we were relegated. Ward. For all our catastrophes last season, had Iversen been selected form GW1, we'd have been 5 or 6 points better off)

Edited by Paninistickers

2 hours ago, Lionator said:

There's been a lot said about Coventry's (and other teams) poor finishing. However when we went up in 2014/15, the main difference I observed was just how lethal top flight teams are in front of goal. That season was especially frustrating as we were dominating a lot of teams but just conceding an insane amount of clinical goals. It doesn't surprise me that the first thing that we're noticing is how less lethal teams are. 

Very true. 

Same happened when we played Blackburn last year. They battered us but were so wasteful in front of goal that it took me by surprise!

I know they beat us 2-1 but we could have equalised towards the end. Obviously Coventry ended up losing and it was largely down to poor finishing rather than us being much good.

It's a nice change from the PL anyway  :D

10 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Right I want to watch the goals from this weekend. Looks like the highlights show is a pile of crap. 

Is there a programme on sky with just the goals/extended highlights or is it a case of watching via YouTube?

Just had a look and there's a 15min segment on Sky Sports Football at 3.15pm tomorrow. 

Maybe they've always done it (never paid that much attention) but looks like they do these segments for Saturday's games on Sunday afternoon on Sky Sports Football. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jaspa said:

EFL have a YouTube page where they've just today uploaded extended highlights of all the games from the weekend, and our Club have put up an even longer video too.

ITV's Saturday night show was a mess.

When I look it’s not all the games on their YT account rather 7 games they’ve picked 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AKCJ said:

We should be looking to go away to Southampton on 15th August as the league leaders to be honest.

Games until then are;

Huddersfield away

Cardiff home

Rotherham away

Hull home

I expect all four of those teams to end up in the bottom 10 or so.

That's a heck of a lot of fixtures crammed into the next 8 days, as well as Burton away...

41 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

I just watched highlights 

Some of the defending is terrible - individual mistakes and the midfield defensive shape awful 

Goalkeepers make so many errors 
I forgot about Keith Stroud 

Three or four pens could have been given as well

Keith Stroud getting surrounded by players was one of the least surprising sights of the weekend lol dreading when we have him, can’t believe he’s lasted this long!