Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

40 minutes ago, Matt said:

But as I was saying Friday(?) they shoot, if it takes a deflection and goes in so be it, meanwhile we are constantly trying to score the perfect goal.

You're not going to get deflected goal if you don't shoot in the first place, you have to make your own luck.

Equally, similar goes for late goals, Ipswich and Leeds throw everything at it, flood players forward, making attacking changes!

Us? To focused and emphasising 'control', 1-0 down on Friday, 90th minute and were still passing on the edge of our own box, you're not getting any luck playing like that.

Perhaps Ipswich and Leeds are a little too gung-ho, there's a balance to be had either way but the comparisons are one extreme to the other and I personally would side with their mentality's than ours.

This is bang on. Now that we are third (Ignore game in hand), maybe we might actually adjust our play. I wish...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KFS said:

And no offence, but that says absolutely everything…

None taken. Morsy is what he is. But what ever that is is very effective. However yesterday Saints put 2 players on him which held him back a bit.

Why does every Ipswich game have a minimum of 7 minutes added on at the end? I don't think we ever get that amount if time added on, other than perhaps the 2 games against Ipswich 🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FrankieADZ said:

helps when you get 8mins added on every home game tbf

@jayfox26

Why does every Ipswich game have a minimum of 7 minutes added on at the end? I don't think we ever get that amount if time added on, other than perhaps the 2 games against Ipswich 🤣

Does that not equally give the opposition time to score too then?

I seem to remember first game the season v Cov, the added time was something like 10, 12, 15? minutes, the sighs, moans and groans, confusion, anxiety was palpable.

Added time for our matches;

Coventry - 11 minutes.

Huddersfield - 6.

Cardiff - 8.

Rotherham - 9.

Hull - 4.

Southampton - 8.

Norwich - 9.

Bristol City - 5.

Blackburn - 9.

Preston - 5.

Stoke - 5.

Swansea - 10.

Sunderland - 6.

QPR - 8.

Leeds - 8.

Middlesbrough - 5.

Watford - 8.

Sheff Wednesday - 7.

West Brom - 7.

Plymouth - 6.

Millwall - 7.

Birmingham - 6.

Rotherham - 5.

Ipswich - 6.

Cardiff - 7.

Huddersfield - 6.

Coventry - 5.

Ipswich - 5.

Swansea - 7.

Stoke - 9.

Watford - 7.

Sheff Wednesday - 4.

Middlesbrough - 5.

Leeds - 7.

QPR - 6.

Sunderland - 5.

Hull - 10.

Bristol City - 6.

Norwich - 6.

Fair amount of +7 to +10's there for ourselves (19 matches with 7 minutes or more added for the record), however in of the games with more added minutes we've conceded more crucial goals rather than scored.

7 x 7 minutes added.

5 x 8 minutes added.

4 x 9 minutes added.

2 x 10 minutes added.

1 x 11 minutes added.

Goals scored in added time:

Cardiff +2

Watford +5

West Brom +4

Stoke +8

Norwich +3

Goals conceded in added time:

Sheff Wednesday +3

Millwall +3

Ipswich +3

Coventry +4

Swansea +5

Leeds +4

Edited by Matt

We really do need to finish top two because the 3v6 playoff semi is the same night as the Quickly Kevin final show in London that I've got a ticket for, and I'd quite like to go to it instead of an agonising, future defining football match

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

It's genuinely unbelievable. The "they make their own luck" thing is just wrong. The ball falls 6 inches either side of where it did and he doesn't score. That's pure chance, IE luck.

But given the situation would we shoot or would we pass.

Would we even find ourselves in that position, attacking, with that many players forward in the first place?

Hypotheticals but there's a debate to be had.

10 minutes ago, Lionator said:

You will get absolutely obliterated in the premier league if you don’t address that. The only team to concede more were Norwich in 2018/19 and the season after, they conceded 75 goals in the Prem and were relegated by 15 points. 

Probably. But this time last year we were literally playing Forest Green. Getting to the promised land of th EPL and using the money sensibly is where it is at for us. Small steps. Oh, and enjoying the ride of course.

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

But given the situation would we shoot or would we pass.

Would we even find ourselves in that position, attacking, with that many players forward in the first place?

Hypotheticals but there's a debate to be had.

None of the first bits make the fact it fell right as his foot anything other than luck though.

• Like 1

Ipswich have got their fair share of very late goals, whether they're deflections, off the shin or other. Kind of related to Ferguson's Manchester United side, who regularly scored in injury time to win a game. It's not by accident and it's a good habit to get into, shows the desire of the team to keep going and never give up. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

None of the first bits make the fact it fell right as his foot anything other than luck though.

You could extend this reasoning to most, if not all, goals scored though. Take KDH's goal yesterday, the cross from Faes is cut out but then fell right back to him/Ndidi who then did the business with the cross just like Sarmiento did the business with the good poked finish albeit past the worst goalkeeper the second tier has ever seen.

2 minutes ago, Torten said:

You could extend this reasoning to most, if not all, goals scored though. Take KDH's goal yesterday, the cross from Faes is cut out but then fell right back to him/Ndidi who then did the business with the cross just like Sarmiento did the business with the good poked finish albeit past the worst goalkeeper the second tier has ever seen.

Those two goals are not the same and you know it lol 

23 minutes ago, Matt said:

Does that not equally give the opposition time to score too then?

I seem to remember first game the season v Cov, the added time was something like 10, 12, 15? minutes, the sighs, moans and groans, confusion, anxiety was palpable.

Added time for our matches;

Coventry - 11 minutes.

Huddersfield - 6.

Cardiff - 8.

Rotherham - 9.

Hull - 4.

Southampton - 8.

Norwich - 9.

Bristol City - 5.

Blackburn - 9.

Preston - 5.

Stoke - 5.

Swansea - 10.

Sunderland - 6.

QPR - 8.

Leeds - 8.

Middlesbrough - 5.

Watford - 8.

Sheff Wednesday - 7.

West Brom - 7.

Plymouth - 6.

Millwall - 7.

Birmingham - 6.

Rotherham - 5.

Ipswich - 6.

Cardiff - 7.

Huddersfield - 6.

Coventry - 5.

Ipswich - 5.

Swansea - 7.

Stoke - 9.

Watford - 7.

Sheff Wednesday - 4.

Middlesbrough - 5.

Leeds - 7.

QPR - 6.

Sunderland - 5.

Hull - 10.

Bristol City - 6.

Norwich - 6.

Fair amount of +7 to +10's there for ourselves (19 matches with 7 minutes or more added for the record), however in of the games with more added minutes we've conceded more crucial goals rather than scored.

7 x 7 minutes added.

5 x 8 minutes added.

4 x 9 minutes added.

2 x 10 minutes added.

1 x 11 minutes added.

Goals scored in added time:

Cardiff +2

Watford +5

West Brom +4

Stoke +8

Norwich +3

Goals conceded in added time:

Sheff Wednesday +3

Millwall +3

Ipswich +3

Coventry +4

Swansea +5

Leeds +4

Please don't come at me with facts, I'm happy in my bitter little bubble where i just see Ipswich as lucky and don't want to give them any credit 🤣

I agree it has gone past a point where you can point to luck when it happens so often. 

It is clear Ipswich are going up. Sometimes it is just written and you can tell the outcome. Fair play to them. 

It is about who can hold their nerve out of us and Leeds to join Ipswich automatically as both of us will not fancy our chances in the playoffs!

• Like 2

Think some of this late drama is mentality to be fair. McKenna been in and around that Utd set up and worked with Ole. It annoyed the hell out of me in the nineties but that Utd side would always score late, they just believed they could and so they did.

Can’t see anyone winning all their remaining games so a few twists and turns yet.

We are the team most capable of putting in a turd of a performance though so depends which Leicester turns up for the rest of the season

11 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

I agree it has gone past a point where you can point to luck when it happens so often. 

It is clear Ipswich are going up. Sometimes it is just written and you can tell the outcome. Fair play to them. 

It is about who can hold their nerve out of us and Leeds to join Ipswich automatically as both of us will not fancy our chances in the playoffs!

I thought the same until I saw Ipswich's remaining games. They will drop points. Question is, will they drop more than us and/or Leeds? I think Norwich will beat them

1 minute ago, Finn Claw II said:

Can’t see anyone winning all their remaining games so a few twists and turns yet.

We are the team most capable of putting in a turd of a performance though so depends which Leicester turns up for the rest of the season

We play like we did yesterday, we win out. We play like we did at Bristol C, we finish 3rd. 

41 minutes ago, Torten said:

When did Danny Ward sign for Southampton?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

I thought the same until I saw Ipswich's remaining games. They will drop points. Question is, will they drop more than us and/or Leeds? I think Norwich will beat them

Depends if a different Norwich to yesterday show up! And yeah I know you’d hope so being a Derby and all, even without their own ambitions involved.

How often do we keep saying they will drop points though? It just isn’t happening. They may draw a game but I just can’t see them dropping more than 5 points maximum. 

1 hour ago, jayfox26 said:

Why does every Ipswich game have a minimum of 7 minutes added on at the end? I don't think we ever get that amount if time added on, other than perhaps the 2 games against Ipswich 🤣

They keep playing until they score, simple as.

Ipswich have a horrific record against Norwich, I fully expect them to drop points. If they get all 3 at Carrow Road then the stars are aligning for them. Will feel like our Man City away win in 2016.