Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

1 hour ago, RonnieTodger said:

What a job Cifuentes has done at QPR

Just needs a win against Leeds for the cherry on top! In all seriousness though they could be targeting a much higher finish next season with how they've gone under him.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

A lot of our fans spewing the same nonsense that was spoken about us in 2016

They should take it as a compliment. Nobody would be bothered if they were 11th.

2 hours ago, Harpenden Fox said:

By a country mile. Very happy to see different teams reaching the Prem. Ipswich are a splendid club who upset the apple cart in the 80s, introduced glamorous continental players like Thijssen and Muhren. The Ipswich fans I know are all splendid people, and I’d be delighted for them to go up automatically, ideally with us!

Not sure I'd be so enthusiastic to see Ipswich promoted, if say they scored a 99th minute winner in their last game, putting us into the play-offs, which we then lose, and a club 20 points below us in the final league table goes up instead. That would be extremely hard to stomach.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smudger63 said:

A double deflection, it was incredible wasnt it, in a  game where the ref didnt send their bloke off for a blatant second yellow, and denied KDH a stonewall pen.

Yep, id say that was damn lucky.

Even their goal down here took a slight deflection off of a defenders boot, from the initial shot to wrong foot Mads, which meant when he saved it, he pushed it out in front of him, straight to their bloke who scored, instead of to the side and safety.

Casadei  had enough of a chance to stop this shot . Nacho didn't even try to run back and Ricky could have closed down more. Very preventable from our point .

Our goal at home was an own goal after a deflection so by definition lucky

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Gazza3 said:

Casadei  had enough of a chance to stop this shot . Nacho didn't even try to run back and Ricky could have closed down more. Very preventable from our point .

Our goal at home was an own goal after a deflection so by definition lucky

All goals are preventable to be fair. You can always find fault somewhere.

Someone who gave the ball away, someone who didn't track a run, someone who didn't pick his man up.

Even the long range pile drivers that go in the top corner, are usually the fault of someone not closing down the player taking the shot, and of course not playing Danny Ward in goal would make a lot of goals preventable. 

1 minute ago, Stinkenzo said:

Hasn't Robins spent like 30m+ this season? Gotta be seen as a failure if they don't atleast get play offs surely. Think they get an easy ride because of where they've come from 

Think that's really harsh on Robins. He lost his 2 best players for big money in the summer, players that he picked up very cheaply, and then invested that money very well on bringing in a number of new signings to strengthen the squad overall.  With the amount of changes he had to make, it took them a while to come good this season, but I think they've been one of the most impressive teams we've played for sure. 

Right, I'm off to have a shower having made so many positive comments about Cov!!

15 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Think that's really harsh on Robins. He lost his 2 best players for big money in the summer, players that he picked up very cheaply, and then invested that money very well on bringing in a number of new signings to strengthen the squad overall.  With the amount of changes he had to make, it took them a while to come good this season, but I think they've been one of the most impressive teams we've played for sure. 

Right, I'm off to have a shower having made so many positive comments about Cov!!

Sure he's obviously done a good job there and the fans are probably still behind him, I'm just playing devil's advocate. If you spent 30m in this league you should probably be getting top 6. I've never heard any mention of them being big spenders this season so they're probably still running with the "little old penniless Cov" mantra 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, String fellow said:

Not sure I'd be so enthusiastic to see Ipswich promoted, if say they scored a 99th minute winner in their last game, putting us into the play-offs, which we then lose, and a club 20 points below us in the final league table goes up instead. That would be extremely hard to stomach.

But that’s deffo happening 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Not championship but forest winning comfortably - win tonight they stay up as Luton are hopeless. Only silver lining if we don’t get promoted now not looking likely. Any danger of a result going our way anytime soon 

Btw at what stage have we been 17pts clear this season? Keep seeing that number banded about. We could have gone 17pts clear of Leeds in 3rd the first time we played them, 2 games later it was 8pts. It's increased since but never to 17 I'm sure!?

3 minutes ago, Stinkenzo said:

Btw at what stage have we been 17pts clear this season? Keep seeing that number banded about. We could have gone 17pts clear of Leeds in 3rd the first time we played them, 2 games later it was 8pts. It's increased since but never to 17 I'm sure!?

We were 17 points ahead of Leeds on 1st Jan.

17 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

What a job Cifuentes has done at QPR

Speaking of QPR. Have a listen to Les Ferdinand on the stick to football podcast. The similarities between their position with FFP and ours is striking. Likely to be our future!

Edited by Fox 4 Life

28 minutes ago, TheGoldenGod said:

https://www.efl.com/news/2024/april/03/efl-awards-2024--shortlists-revealed/

EFL End Of Season Awards shortlist

Manager: Kieran McKenna, Daniel Farke, Liam Rosenior (???)

Player: Kiernan Dewsbury Hall, Crysencio Summerville, Sammie Szmodics

Young Player:  Archie Gray, Jon Rowe, Jordan James 

Hard to justify how Enzo and Fatawu don't make that shortlist.

Enzo has a win % here of nearly 70% and has 60 games as a professional manager. Its an incredible record.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, kenny said:

Enzo has a win % here of nearly 70% and has 60 games as a professional manager. Its an incredible record.

farke and enzo or neither of them should be up for this.  i like rossenior but dont understand why he's nominated ahead of others

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, kenny said:

Especially when you consider Farke is on there who has a squad very similar in calibre to ours and wouldn't say he's done a much better job or Rosenior with Hull who also has a VERY good squad. I'd be going more for Cifuentes at QPR or Corbs at WBA over those two.

But suppose it's futile because McKenna deserves to win it if they go up!

Edited by TheGoldenGod
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

farke and enzo or neither of them should be up for this.  i like rossenior but dont understand why he's nominated ahead of others

I agree neither Enzo nor Farke should be on there.

McKenna is obvious. I do agree Rosenior on there though. Who else would you have on? I think of Wednesday manage to stay up, Rohl should have been. 

I notice the QPR manager mentioned above which is a good shout albeit they were massively underperforming with Ainsworth.

Begs the question how these things can be shortlisted for with 6/7 games left and so much to play for!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Super_horns said:

I’d go for McKenna , Summerville (maybe Szmodics  and Gray.

Sorry !

Has Gray done much yet? 2 assists and no goals isn't POTY material even if he has just turned 18.

48 minutes ago, TheGoldenGod said:

https://www.efl.com/news/2024/april/03/efl-awards-2024--shortlists-revealed/

EFL End Of Season Awards shortlist

Manager: Kieran McKenna, Daniel Farke, Liam Rosenior (???)

Player: Kiernan Dewsbury Hall, Crysencio Summerville, Sammie Szmodics

Young Player:  Archie Gray, Jon Rowe, Jordan James 

No Brussell!?!? Presume Enzo doesnt make because of the poor form of late.

KDH will win the player for sure, but doesnt deserve it. Will do wonders for his sale value though.

Edited by Chelmofox