Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

Guest Col city fan

Personally I think anyone getting above Southampton this season may well win the league. 
But it’s massively early to tell.

What it is is a hugely competitive league this year. Getting some sort of winning run together will be so important to get one of the automatic promotion spots.

6 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Personally I think anyone getting above Southampton this season may well win the league. 

What it is is a hugely competitive league this year. Getting some sort of winning run together will be so important to get one of the automatic promotion spots.

Not if Southampton finish 3rd or below :whistle:

4 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I think the opposite, really, in terms of automatic promotion. 

Our squad and Southampton's are both far superior to anything else in the league, IMO. 

Leeds next, then after that it becomes competitive in terms of who gets in the play-offs. 

But really, ourselves and Saints have no excuses to not get promoted. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Pete52 said:

Our squad and Southampton's are both far superior to anything else in the league, IMO. 

Leeds next, then after that it becomes competitive in terms of who gets in the play-offs. 

Losing Ward-Prowse is a huge loss for Southampton, that's going to put a massive dent into their promotion push

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Pete52 said:

I actually agree with this.

It's competitive in the sense that most teams could finish anywhere between 3rd and 24th, but there's clear daylight between the rest of the league and us/Southampton in terms of first XI, squad depth and resources. 

Coventry were a PK away from the Premier League last season but they look unlikely to match us over a 46 game season.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bilo said:

I actually agree with this.

It's competitive in the sense that most teams could finish anywhere between 3rd and 24th, but there's clear daylight between the rest of the league and us/Southampton in terms of first XI, squad depth and resources. 

Coventry were a PK away from the Premier League last season but they look unlikely to match us over a 46 game season.

Best performing team that didn’t get promoted last season was Middlesborough with 75 points. We are daylight clear of the rest of those teams on paper.

12 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Best performing team that didn’t get promoted last season was Middlesborough with 75 points. We are daylight clear of the rest of those teams on paper.

Only underperformance and poor management from Maresca and Martin are likely to stop the two teams from being well in the hunt. 

Unless Rotherham get taken over by mad Saudi who pays Mbappe £5m a week to move to South Yorkshire. 

3 hours ago, Bilo said:

Foxestalk had them down as gaining 138 points this season and being European champions by 2026 after the first 30 minutes.

Don't make me break out that matchday thread graphic again lol

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Pete52 said:

I think this. Maybe I’m writing Leeds off too easily and may stand corrected but it feels like one of those seasons where it could be a really tight title race, like a flip of a coin but with a clear gap down to the play off positions.

As others have said, only mismanagement from us and Southampton really would get in the way.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bilo said:

Foxestalk had them down as gaining 138 points this season and being European champions by 2026 after the first 30 minutes.

They were that good on Friday they should have got 4 points for the win

Will Smallbone for the Ballon d’Or

Southampton are a better bet than us at the moment purely on the basis that they've actually got a balanced squad. We're 3 attacking players from having that same balance.

Once injuries and tiredness settle in, we'll really struggle for goals as the season goes on if we don't bring in more bodies capable to creating good chances.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, filbertway said:

Southampton are a better bet than us at the moment purely on the basis that they've actually got a balanced squad. We're 3 attacking players from having that same balance.

Once injuries and tiredness settle in, we'll really struggle for goals as the season goes on if we don't bring in more bodies capable to creating good chances.

Our three designated strikers , 12 goals last season. They would need to score at least 40 between them this season to get promotion. A very big jump indeed. We need another striker.

9 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

and yet still have a pretty decent squad available… they are going to be really strong when they get some of these players back. 

I can't see beyond the three relegated clubs at this stage. All three only have to perform at par (as we did Sunday) to occupy the top three spots. 

Usually the relegated clubs contain one or two 'championship' clubs - Norwich, west Brom, Sheff Utd ....this season all three relegated were established and particularly with us and saints have the well established infrastructure around wages and scouting and training to outdo championship teams 

17 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Our three designated strikers , 12 goals last season. They would need to score at least 40 between them this season to get promotion. A very big jump indeed. We need another striker.

Really not worried about the striker situation personally, we can only play 1 in our system anyway. We are desperate for another 2 wide men at the very least and at least 1 more creative midfielder that can play that other 8 role alongside KDH.

18 minutes ago, AjcW said:

I desperately need someone to explain the Southampton love in too me.

Bunch of kids, about to lose their leader, hired an absolute charlatan, goalkeeper is absolutely diabolical, only signings this year have been another youngster and a mate of the managers. 

They looked poor in Friday but scraped a win, and they got battered last night with 6 or 7 first teamers playing. 

They’ll struggle and have a new manager by January IMHO. 

Obviously might be completely wrong, but the amount of hype for them on here is just odd. 

blasph-3.jpg

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, AjcW said:

I desperately need someone to explain the Southampton love in too me.

Bunch of kids, about to lose their leader, hired an absolute charlatan, goalkeeper is absolutely diabolical, only signings this year have been another youngster and a mate of the managers. 

They looked poor in Friday but scraped a win, and they got battered last night with 6 or 7 first teamers playing. 

They’ll struggle and have a new manager by January IMHO. 

Obviously might be completely wrong, but the amount of hype for them on here is just odd. 

Recently , they keep beating us. Even after the 9-0 thrashing , they came to the King Power and wiped the floor with us. Only a mug would underestimate them.

Just now, An Sionnach said:

Recently , they keep beating us. Even after the 9-0 thrashing , they came to the King Power and wiped the floor with us. Only a mug would underestimate them.

So on the basis of us potentially giving them six points this season they will walk the league? 

They did the double on us last season… wasn’t exactly a big achievement lol 

Just think they’ll struggle against some of the more established championship sides who have been building their squads up over the last few years. 

2 minutes ago, AjcW said:

So on the basis of us potentially giving them six points this season they will walk the league? 

They did the double on us last season… wasn’t exactly a big achievement lol 

Just think they’ll struggle against some of the more established championship sides who have been building their squads up over the last few years. 

Maybe , but I am not underestimating any team in this division. Too many on here call the opposition shit and end up mighty disappointed.