Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

Good week for us despite our usual snails pace in that so many rivals are being weakened.

Hamer to Sheffield United is perfect. Screws Coventry over, won't be enough to keep Sheffield United up, comes to us in a year when we've swapped leagues. We hope.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

Theoretically, is it possible to say 'No, thank you, but no' to automatic promotion?

Are clubs compelled to accept promotion? I'm assuming clubs have to apply to become members of the PL.

I fully understand the whole 'who would be mad enough to turn down that revenue' thing.

If the rules apply the same as elsewhere in the football pyramid, you have to accept your league placing/promotion 

54 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Good week for us despite our usual snails pace in that so many rivals are being weakened.

Hamer to Sheffield United is perfect. Screws Coventry over, won't be enough to keep Sheffield United up, comes to us in a year when we've swapped leagues. We hope.

depends how well he does in the prem:ph34r:

3 hours ago, Daggers said:

Theoretically, is it possible to say 'No, thank you, but no' to automatic promotion?

Are clubs compelled to accept promotion? I'm assuming clubs have to apply to become members of the PL.

I fully understand the whole 'who would be mad enough to turn down that revenue' thing.

This raises an interesting point and if so, it raises the question did we have to accept our relegation or could we have declined this 🤔

can’t be the only one seeing all the stupid money flying around in the premiership and having a feeling this leagues better for us.

112m for a pretty unproven player is completely crazy and 2 clubs are willing to pay that. 

I thought the declan rice fee was bad enough. 

Imagine what prime Kante would fetch these days 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

can’t be the only one seeing all the stupid money flying around in the premiership and having a feeling this leagues better for us.

112m for a pretty unproven player is completely crazy and 2 clubs are willing to pay that. 

I thought the declan rice fee was bad enough. 

Imagine what prime Kante would fetch these days 

Better for us, how in what way?

didn’t seem to see people complaining when the likes of Maguire was going for ridiculous money.

it’s like Brighton have stepped into our shoes and taken it to another level.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

didn’t seem to see people complaining when the likes of Maguire was going for ridiculous money.

in that we can actually compete and enjoy the football again. 

There comes a point where if you can’t compete is it really better to be bottom half year on year? 

The gaps only getting bigger. Of course i want us to go up, but the football will be far more enjoyable for us in this division imo. 

i do wish the super league had actually happened though 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 4

45 minutes ago, Iran said:

"Agreement reached between Lens and Middlesbrough for the transfer of Chuba Akpom for just under 15M € bonus included."

Big blow for Middlesbrough. Obviously Archer had to go back to Villa, but that's a big loss of goals for them. Who else do they have? 

• Like 1

It's getting close to the point now where teams are cherry picking everyone's top talent of our top half rivals to make it easier for us.  

I guess one advantage of having the largest wage bill ever in this division is that noone wants to fork out the wages for our players.

Warnock said in his presser we have two 11s on paper that could run riot over this division.  I have to agree with him.

5 hours ago, The Fosse Way said:

As the Prem kicks off this evening, anyone else feeling like this about life in the Championship?

@BSLBPod

No..we are in the superior league…One has time to try things..create & experiment.

see you only believe in elitism, I bet you are one of those that leave early,so your Rolls Royce doesn’t get scratched in the

commoners traffic and you can have a early barthe, and arrive with your wife and not come like the rest of us

BUT

we are now the grass roots & proud…:P

3 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

It's better as a buyer that we can probably take more gambles like Hermansen and Mavididi, and hopefully some others to follow if the ITKs on here are any good.

I can't say I've missed the PL yet but we have so far beaten Coventry while watching Burnley getting a shoeing on their first game up. People will have to ask me if I miss it when Preston win here.

2 hours ago, StanSP said:

Big blow for Middlesbrough. Obviously Archer had to go back to Villa, but that's a big loss of goals for them. Who else do they have? 

they are in talks with Atalanta striker to sign Emmanuel Latte Lath; so i guess hes coming in to replace Akpom

though some Sheff Utd fans think hes going there.....Lens or Sheff Utd.....one is on the up and in the champions league and the other could be in for a hell of a scrap....

Edited by FrankieADZ

Gnonto situation at Leeds is ludicrous - really pleased we moved on the players we needed to move on quickly and have seemingly put those players who the manager does not consider to have a future at the club up for sale.

Edited by Tuna

2 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

It's getting close to the point now where teams are cherry picking everyone's top talent of our top half rivals to make it easier for us.  

I guess one advantage of having the largest wage bill ever in this division is that noone wants to fork out the wages for our players.

Warnock said in his presser we have two 11s on paper that could run riot over this division.  I have to agree with him.

Lovely advantage that, while we're stuck with the likes of Vestergaard and Danny Ward.

20 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

It's better as a buyer that we can probably take more gambles like Hermansen and Mavididi, and hopefully some others to follow if the ITKs on here are any good.

I can't say I've missed the PL yet but we have so far beaten Coventry while watching Burnley getting a shoeing on their first game up. People will have to ask me if I miss it when Preston win here.

We wasn’t Burnley though was we, we arguably had one season where we struggled.

Whilst one season in the champ as a reset would be enjoyable. I don’t think we can afford to miss the boat as the squad gets overhauled and as the overall quality changes the gulf becomes wider. 

what I won’t miss is the shitty tin pot euro cup that threw the schedule off from Saturday games. It’s nice to play at 3 and hopefully enjoy a weekend with a win/ good performance 

7 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

Whilst one season in the champ as a reset would be enjoyable. I don’t think we can afford to miss the boat as the squad gets overhauled and as the overall quality changes the gulf becomes wider. 

what I won’t miss is the shitty tin pot euro cup that threw the schedule off from Saturday games. It’s nice to play at 3 and hopefully enjoy a weekend with a win/ good performance 

What would you rather? Comfy win at 3 pm in the championship? Or get battered at 8 pm by the likes of man city in the premier league?

2 minutes ago, Mike1983 said:

What would you rather? Comfy win at 3 pm in the championship? Or get battered at 8 pm by the likes of man city in the premier league?

Well you are assuming comfy wins, Coventry wasn’t comfy.

plus you don’t play Man City every week. 

careful what you wish for.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

Well you are assuming comfy wins, Coventry wasn’t comfy.

plus you don’t play Man City every week. 

careful what you wish for.

Agree it won’t be easy to win, but if we get it right the reset of our squad and bloated wages could benefit the club for years, especially with the new training ground and stadium plans. Big if mind, but if it does go well, we could be in a really really good position this time next year

2 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

We've not had much fun since 2016 in all honesty. You've had sporadic runs and obviously early 2019/20 was good but it's either been mediocrity, behind closed doors or outright disaster like last season - and that's not even necessarily a dig at us because we did better than most of our ilk did, it's just the reality of the league.

Disagree enormously on Europe. The only thing bearable post covid. The last three years have been absolutely dog shit for the most part.

6 hours ago, StanSP said:

Well, I for one welcome less competition in the league, haha. lol

Hopefully, Coventry City lose Hamer to sweeten the deal!

(And other league favorites losing their best players...)

• Like 1