Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

Easy to forget about Southampton but they've been the big winners here.

It may be unlikely but they can tie points with Leeds by winning their games in hand plus at Elland Road. 

20 minutes ago, FOXSE said:

Just remember, Leicester are terrible, but everyone else is brilliant....

Screenshot_20240410_222029_Samsung Internet.jpg

Well seems from the last 6 no one is really hitting the heights. We will be fine, 10 pts from last 6 is okay, would have liked 12 but it isn’t a disaster. 

• Like 1

Thing is if Southampton come to the KP and play us at Enzoball they will lose. We struggle against wanky 11 men behind the ball low block teams, most teams that play, we can beat. We need to find away to beat the low blockers. The good news I guess is we only have one team likely to low block left. 

5 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

It may be unlikely but they can tie points with Leeds by winning their games in hand plus at Elland Road. 

Southampton are dead and buried. They aren’t getting close to autos.

40 minutes ago, Gerard said:

I would suggest that the midweek results were slightly favourable for us, pre match implied chances of winning were:

Leeds 75%

Ipswich 67%

Leicester 58%

Both our rivals failed to win at home to mid table teams, solitary points don't really get the job done when your heavy favourites.

Yesterday we needed 5 wins to guarantee promotion, tonight we now need four. It's another game ticked off and we're still top of the league with a game in hand. Also remember we just need to avoid finishing bottom of this three team mini league, we're still very much in the box seat and have room for error.

Yep. We also effectively have an extra point on Ipswich due to our goal difference. It’s in our hands. 

1 minute ago, shiv said:

Southampton are dead and buried. They aren’t getting close to autos.

To be fair their own form has been as patchy as the top 3 so think this is probably correct. Plus fitting 2 extra games in when everyone is a bit leggy makes it tougher.

Just now, Number 6 said:

To be fair their own form has been as patchy as the top 3 so think this is probably correct. Plus fitting 2 extra games in when everyone is a bit leggy makes it tougher.

Even if they win every game, they are reliant on 2 teams essentially losing every game between now and the end of the season. It’s very unlikely IMO. 

13 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Southampton must be fancying their chanced of getting back amongst it. Our game in hand is going to be tense.

We aren't quite satisfied with throwing away double digits points leads oflver Leeds and Ipswich. We fancy giving Southampton the opportunity to do it over the remaining 6 games of the season. 

• Haha 1

Both of Southampton’s goals yesterday seemed dodgy to me, looked like 2 handballs by Che Adams. Cov also missed a peno.

Big result, but I got the impression it was far from convincing. 

11 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

If they win their last six that puts them on 96pts, that means Leeds would have to win their next three games to finish above them. We would need 8pts from four to beat them on GD.

It's tough but it's doable. 

38 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

Crazy that Southampton have lost fewer games than us and West Brom only 1 more. If that was a sign we chase games and lose at the death I'd be fine with that but sadly that's not the case

this annoys me. I made a post about this earlier… if enzo was a little less gung-ho the easy draws we could have taken would have got us over the line already. Every point counts and that’s something i don’t think enzo gets 

Edited by Lambert09

Ipswich have a very tricky next 3. All three with an outside chance of that 6th playoff place and good teams. You’d hope they’ll all take something from them. 

Leeds have 2 tricky games in their final 4. You’d hope 1 of the two take something from them. 

We need to beat Plymouth, Preston and Blackburn - no excuses. If we can take at least 1 point from WBA or saints - that should have us there on 98 points. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Ipswich have a very tricky next 3. All three with an outside chance of that 6th playoff place and good teams. You’d hope they’ll all take something from them. 

Leeds have 2 tricky games in their final 4. You’d hope 1 of the two take something from them. 

We need to beat Plymouth, Preston and Blackburn - no excuses. If we can take at least 1 point from WBA or saints - that should have us there on 98 points. 

Although the way results are going I wouldn’t be surprised if we beat West Brom and Southampton but drop points to Preston and Plymouth. We just have to take each game as it comes and try to win. There are no easy games at this stage. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Thing is if Southampton come to the KP and play us at Enzoball they will lose. We struggle against wanky 11 men behind the ball low block teams, most teams that play, we can beat. We need to find away to beat the low blockers. The good news I guess is we only have one team likely to low block left. 

Don’t give teams the chance to low block.  Look to get the ball out to the wingers or KDH quickly.  Mixing up the attacks from the default Vestagard plod, stop,

roll the ball, cut back and repeat until it’s blasted into a compacted midfield for the forward to try to flick on. Vardy’s goal against Hull was a great example of a quick direct attack. 

• Like 1

As long as we don’t lose I’m fine. All 3 teams look like they will no longer win every remaining game - this much is true from what we’ve seen. We have to try to win and if we can’t don’t lose. Take the point and move on. Millwall deserved their goal but we should have had enough to grind out an equalizer. Teams that have a champions mentality always find a way.

Appears that us, Leeds and Ipswich are all getting the yips. It's beginning to resemble the Monty Python Silly Olympics sketch. No-one appears to want to or be able to find the finish line. If we come top we'll be forever known as 'The Reluctant Winners' or the team that stumbled over the line.

• Like 1

A let off with the results of Leeds and Ipswich but we've got to improve massively if we're to get over the line. Plymouth are going to be similar to Millwall although they have the added quality of Whittaker so if we play anything like we did against Millwall, we will lose again. So frustrating as we shouldn't even be worrying about how the other teams are doing if we actually just do our own job properly. Should have the title finished by now. Our overall points tally is good. Our performances haven't been for a fair amount of games this season! 

• Like 1