Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

7 hours ago, shiv said:

Even if they win every game, they are reliant on 2 teams essentially losing every game between now and the end of the season. It’s very unlikely IMO. 

If Southampton won every game they would likely go up as they’ll have taken points off us and Leeds. As someone said above, if they won their games in hand and Leeds, they are level with them. Winning their games in hand would also put them 4 points behind us and I’d be surprised if we don’t throw at least 4 points away from our other games so I’d be certain they’d go up if they won all their games.

But they won’t so moot point really!

It's going to be horribly close, unfortunately we've faltered already and now the pressure is really on its extremely difficult not to slip up but tough shit, we simply have to get 10 points from our remaining 5 games and it should be enough.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

It's going to be horribly close, unfortunately we've faltered already and now the pressure is really on its extremely difficult not to slip up but tough shit, we simply have to get 10 points from our remaining 5 games and it should be enough.

For the title, yes, but I don't think it'll be that close for the automatics in the end.

11 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I think the fact we could be 6 points clear of Ipswich by the time they play next after this weekend, could potentially make it a lot less tense. This is assuming we win all our games in this time of course and Ipswich win this weekend, if they lose this weekend and we do win all of ours we could have it all but wrapped up.

39 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I remember when the going was good earlier on in the season, someone on the pod (perhaps a few of you) said “if anyone can **** it up from here it’s us.” There’s literally a thin sheet of bog roll between the sides. Someone needs to get down the cash and carry and invest heavily in bog roll because whoever does go up is going to have some nervous trips to the trap. 

26 minutes ago, Muzzy_no7 said:

How on earth did they find over 5 added minutes when no one scored in the Ipswich fixture? 

8 subs in the second half is 4 minutes and of course there’ll have been a minute elsewhere without even looking at the game. I don’t think that one needs overthinking to be fair!

2 minutes ago, Nolucklcfc said:

I think if we beat Plymouth and one of them two lose their next game, it’s almost done 

Think our only hope is that Ipswich only pick up another 4-6 points, which is possible looking at their remaining fixtures!   I have no confidence in our lot getting anymore than another 6 points, Plymouth is a must win and maybe we'll beat Blackburn. WBA, Southampton and Preston away are games we could quite easily bottle.

4 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Think our only hope is that Ipswich only pick up another 4-6 points, which is possible looking at their remaining fixtures!   I have no confidence in our lot getting anymore than another 6 points, Plymouth is a must win and maybe we'll beat Blackburn. WBA, Southampton and Preston away are games we could quite easily bottle.

Correct or we could win them all because we have the quality to do it. You just don’t know with this team and the championship in general 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Nolucklcfc said:

Correct or we could win them all because we have the quality to do it. You just don’t know with this team and the championship in general 

Especially when you consider we’ve beaten 4/5 of our remaining opponents by at least 3 goals earlier in the season….

• Like 2

Thing is, if we can somehow stop being shit and win our next two games it puts us in an incredible position…… because then we play Southampton and then Preston one being a game in hand and one being an early kick off. The next three weeks are the most important. If we can win 3 from 3 or even win 2 and draw 1, I think it’s done. But I just don’t trust Enzo to get it right. 

I’ve got a feeling Cov will do us a massive favour. Get our results right from here, and we could be promoted if Ipswich fail to beat Cov. 

Edited by Pliskin

40 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Not saying you won’t be right necessarily about the outcome but West Brom and Southampton are at home. Only Plymouth and Preston left away.

37 minutes ago, KFS said:

one thing I’m certain of is that the loser of this mini tournament gets so badly winded that they crash out of the playoffs in the first round

In a normal Championship season I always feel like the play-offs momentum is with the teams that finish 5th/6th as it's almost like a bonus chance for glory and you're riding on a high from finishing in those positions and getting in there.

This season, with the points tally for the top 3 being so high (even 4th as Southampton are likely to finish on an abnormally high total as well), you would imagine it's going to feel like a massive blow to whoever ends up finishing 3rd. It will take a massive regroup.

I feel Ipswich would be able to do it and be up for it, however us and Leeds, after probably expecting to be going up, it would be a hard one to swallow. 

Brighton apparently looking to poach Russell Martin of Southampton this summer, as they expect De Zerbi to get snapped up.

Apparently talks took place during the last international break—not ideal for Southampton going into their run in!

3 minutes ago, CloudFox said:

Brighton apparently looking to poach Russell Martin of Southampton this summer, as they expect De Zerbi to get snapped up.

Apparently talks took place during the last international break—not ideal for Southampton going into their run in!

Log term thats great news for Southampton. Slightly worrying appointment for Brighton :) 

• Like 2