Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

5 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

That's always been the brilliance of the Championship. I think statistically, it's the most competitive league in the world. Do you remember the absolute hell it was the last time we were here? Having the best squad in the division is irrelevant, it's a great test of mental strength. Not a surprise for me that our team that won the league had their wills forged in this division and the disappointment of Deeney Day.

It's great we are 2 wins out of 2, but it's not that hard to see in either game us losing both. Luckily we've got that quality to see us through.

I think our manager is a great pick for this division. With the amount of possession we have, we limit the other teams to the number of chances they will make. That will make us a consistent team. We need a lot of work upfront, but as today and the Coventry game showed, we've got players that can make things happen out of very little, a trait other teams in the division can only hope for.

Yep, I  also think it stood us in good stead when we won the prem. when people were saying we wouldn’t handle the pressure or have the stamina to sustain our spot at the top of the table I think it was mark albrighton who said something along the lines of “this isn’t pressure,  last season is pressur (great escape)” and regarding staying the course we’d just come through as champions two years previously from a 46 game season, the squad was physica and mentally prepared to deal with it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

That's always been the brilliance of the Championship. I think statistically, it's the most competitive league in the world. Do you remember the absolute hell it was the last time we were here?

And probably every season since. I think it speaks volumes to how competitive it is (not necessarily the best quality) when you have about 9 teams all vying for the last play-off spot right up til March. And even then, the 5 spots above them aren't always set until very, very late in the season. It's a slog, it's a grind but wins like today make it more satisfying and only builds on belief that we can do it. 

What a bin fire of a football club.

There's always at least one side who flops like Denis Thatcher's cock, and I think it's a safe bet to say it'll be Leeds this season.

FB_IMG_1691859331864.jpg

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Spiritwalker said:

Players going on strike is bang out of order and the rules should be changed so clubs can fine

these players more than 2 weeks wages.

Disgusting thing to do really. I would support placing a transfer embargo on any such player so they couldn't move until the next transfer window.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Feels like its going to be an entertaining championship season. Hope we're in the mix come may

I want us to have it sorted ASAP like last time we were here.

The last thing I want is for my arse to be like a rabbit's nose against Blackburn on the last day.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bilo said:

I want us to have it sorted ASAP like last time we were here.

The last thing I want is for my arse to be like a rabbit's nose against Blackburn on the last day.

Yeah me too but I don't think we'll storm it personally. It's nice to actual feel something towards games again after the last couple of seasons of dross. Today was bonkers at times lol

Just now, foxfanazer said:

Yeah me too but I don't think we'll storm it personally. It's nice to actual feel something towards games again after the last couple of seasons of dross. Today was bonkers at times lol

Two main questions for me as to whether we can storm it based on last season.

1) Are we better than Burnley were last season?

2) How does this season's league compare to last season's? 

On paper, we're as good as they were at least. However, they didn't have to beat teams who were as good as Southampton, Coventry and Ipswich are likely to be. 

2 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

That's always been the brilliance of the Championship. I think statistically, it's the most competitive league in the world. Do you remember the absolute hell it was the last time we were here? Having the best squad in the division is irrelevant, it's a great test of mental strength. Not a surprise for me that our team that won the league had their wills forged in this division and the disappointment of Deeney Day.

It's great we are 2 wins out of 2, but it's not that hard to see in either game us losing both. Luckily we've got that quality to see us through.

I think our manager is a great pick for this division. With the amount of possession we have, we limit the other teams to the number of chances they will make. That will make us a consistent team. We need a lot of work upfront, but as today and the Coventry game showed, we've got players that can make things happen out of very little, a trait other teams in the division can only hope for.

Stressful, but much more entertaining than the EPL. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, bovril said:

Stressful, but much more entertaining than the EPL. 

Even when we were in the Premier League I would have said that in terms of entertainment, the average Championship match is more fun than the average Premier League match. I haven't seen it yet, but the 2-2 with Leeds last week and now the 4-4 with Southampton surely proves that.

The quality isn't there, but the passion from both fans and players really is.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Even when we were in the Premier League I would have said that in terms of entertainment, the average Championship match is more fun than the average Premier League match. I haven't seen it yet, but the 2-2 with Leeds last week and now the 4-4 with Southampton surely proves that.

The quality isn't there, but the passion from both fans and players really is.

Which goes to show that there's more to enjoyable football than technically brilliant players. Two evenly matched teams going for it and you can have a fantastically enjoyable match whether it's World Cup final, an under-9 game or anywhere in between.

They say every cloud has a silver lining. The silver lining to not being in the Premier League? Not being in the Premier League.

• Like 2