Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

Leeds did what they had to in order to get players to sign deals with them.  

They obviously realised these loan clauses were effective and they did sign a fair few high profile players. But clearly it was a gamble that’s hitting them now. 

With someone like harrison though they knew he was going for free if they didn’t do it, so it’s not the worst move overall. 

I think us losing so many of our stars for free is worse. 

I would be trying something like that with iheanacho tbh. A nice deal but we give him a get out clause if we don’t get promoted… it might hurt if you fail but it’s worth it rather than just letting them get their heads turned mid season and walking for free at the end 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 2

On 11/08/2023 at 15:56, Bilo said:

It does, however, bode well for us if we bounce straight back.

We're better than several of those teams on paper now, let alone after a transfer window once promoted.

As we are I think we would be destroyed and would struggle to score, we learnt last season pretty football alone doesnt keep you up, we have been exposed at the back both games, and EPL teams would have got 3+ goals against us.  The teams considered as dross are still a large step above in front of goal vs the championship, also much better at breaking down play, noticed in both our games that isnt happening very often compared to the EPL.  I am hoping we improve enough that I will be more confident by end of season.  When we went up last time we were lucky we went up with mahrez already in the squad, vardy already in the squad, and kasper in goal, our signings whilst down here were immense.

But this is a problem for another day, we not in the EPL at the moment, what matters now is being competitive in the championship.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

The upshot of buying young unproven players on modest wages with huge potential to quickly improve and flip for big money.

We are so far removed from that model right now it's scary.

agreed. 

7 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

I think it is only players that have left for a transfer fee or loan

And assuming Leeds have loaned out their players then they will have taken loan fees for this season and can take the transfer fees next summer 

so it’s just a headline which you shouldn’t look too closely at ! 

14 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

And assuming Leeds have loaned out their players then they will have taken loan fees for this season and can take the transfer fees next summer 

so it’s just a headline which you shouldn’t look too closely at ! 

Issue is they haven’t got massive loan fees for any of them because of the clauses they allowed to be put in their contracts and they have let most of their best players leave only on loan this season giving them very little to be able to reinvest into the squad now

Still might not get any transfer fees for them next summer either as none of them are obligations, chances are they could end up with more players behaving like Gnonto and Summerville if the club then decide they don’t want to sell

Edited by moore_94

2 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Anyone seen Warnock's presser. Said his scout told him we've got "two teams who could get promoted" lol.

We've barely got one. A Mavididi or KDH injury and we're shagged 

• Like 1