Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

15 minutes ago, ramboacdc said:

How BBC are reporting it, they say he was on borrowed time.  He turned them round pretty well didn't he? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cpvg3kz91ngo

Norwich City have sacked boss David Wagner less than 24 hours after their crushing Championship play-off defeat by Leeds.

BBC Sport understands the Canaries have acted following Thursday's 4-0 semi-final second-leg loss which left them facing a third successive season in the second tier.

Arsenal coach Carlos Cuesta is of interest as a replacement having worked with sporting director Ben Knapper when he was loans manager at the Gunners.

Wagner was on borrowed time after Knapper replaced Stuart Webber in November but managed to guide the Canaries to a sixth-placed finish.

An official club statement is expected later on Friday.

He had a dodgy spell but as you say they did fine I thought.

Seems they wanted promotion and nothing else ?

It's weird really, I don't think anyone predicted Norwich to finish in the playoffs this season, but they did. However, they were absolutely hopeless last night and were genuinely one of the worst teams to have come to our place. 

The way they set up and played in the first leg at home I think it's probably justified. Seemed to be so negative and had no urgency to get forward or to try and take the game to Leeds. Knowing that the away leg at Elland Road was going to be difficult they had to try and nick something at home but he seemed happy to just avoid defeat.

• Like 1

Not strange at all. He is far to a defensive manager. Worked okay at Huddersfield, massively overachieved there, but with Norwich it's totally different.

I know a lot of their fanbase haven't been happy all season. Don't forget he was under pressure early on given their early season form.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

I wonder if Norwich will make a push to try and get Mark Robins. Though wouldn't be surprised if it's Gary Rowett. 

I would be astonished if it’s Gary Rowett lol 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Langston said:

I would be astonished if it’s Gary Rowett lol 

I'd be astonished if it were Robins too.

Both don't seem to fit the type of manager they would want.

6 minutes ago, lcfc278 said:

Wouldn't surprise me if they try and get Rosenior in. Got close with Hull and I think if he hadn't been sacked he would have got play-offs next season at least.

A good shout, I thought he done an excellent job for his first managerial appointment.

Norwich don't have much money so he be a great choice.

I always liked Norwich. Even more when Delia put all her money in to save them. 

I hope they do well next year.

On 16/05/2024 at 14:01, FrankieADZ said:

isnt just us in the shit then

There have been articles about this before, sounds like more of a cash flow issue than a PSR one.

Where exactly were Norwich expecting to be finish this season? 

Besides getting up staged by Ipswich he's not done much wrong. 

They're objectively worse than Leeds, Leicester and Southampton. What exactly are they expecting. They seem to be the only club that haven't gotten the message this season just straight up isn't fair for most of the Championship. 

• Like 3

Fans never really took to him, was closely linked to the previous director of football who was very unpopular.

I don't think the new manager will do significantly better, though.

7 hours ago, lcfc278 said:

Wouldn't surprise me if they try and get Rosenior in. Got close with Hull and I think if he hadn't been sacked he would have got play-offs next season at least.

He has just turned down the Plymouth job … can see him going to Norwich or Sunderland 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Where exactly were Norwich expecting to be finish this season? 

Besides getting up staged by Ipswich he's not done much wrong. 

They're objectively worse than Leeds, Leicester and Southampton. What exactly are they expecting. They seem to be the only club that haven't gotten the message this season just straight up isn't fair for most of the Championship. 

Norwich brother in law says that the football was broadly boring, had no major feel or sustainability to it and was largely propped up by Sara and Sargarets goals 

Edited by CosbehFox

Wagner going seems like one of those they outsiders will look and slate Norwich without having a clue. We have been there ourselves. 

It’s not necessarily to do with entitlement that they expected to go up. They just seem to roll over in big games and not even have a go. Must be really frustrating for their fans.

Fair play to them for being decisive.

16 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Godammit.

8qllw2.jpg

I'd take the one on the right every day. The crying pricks. I still remember them complaining to the league when we got promoted after the takeover and we started using Mendes to get us players. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Bear said:

I'd take the one on the right every day. The crying pricks. I still remember them complaining to the league when we got promoted after the takeover and we started using Mendes to get us players. 

Mate 99.9% of football thought that was absolutely ridiculous. You had Champions League footballers in the second tier. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Mate 99.9% of football thought that was absolutely ridiculous. You had Champions League footballers in the second tier. 

That's over egging the pudding. We got two highly rated young players from CL teams. Ruben Neves was the big one, having captained Porto in the Champions League at a young age, but he still wasn't a regular starter for Porto.

Diogo Jota was sent out on loan by Atletico Madrid before he came to us and was just a good young player with potential.

Jimenez wasn't any kind of star outside of Mexico and didn't have a great goal record at Benfica, plus we didn't sign him until we got promoted the season after any way. 

Plus you didn't go complaining to the PL and EFL and tweeting how unfair it was unlike Radrizzani at Leeds. 

Edited by The Bear