Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

Stoke City's André Vidigal has to be the bargain of the season in the Championship. They've paid £500k to Maritimo for him and he's already got 4 goals in all competitions for Stoke. Looks like they have unearthed a gem!

• Like 2

So the only two 100% records after 2 games have stayed after 3. 

Ipswich look like they’ll have a good season as tipped to. It made me think whether there start is more impressive than ours. Yes they came up and we came down but then they have that positive momentum and a settled manager and team whereas we are rebuilding. I suppose if anything, their momentum might settle down and they could tail off whereas surely we will get better and better as we go on.

9 hours ago, EFL View said:

Town fan here. It was easily our worst performance of the season today and QPR deserved a point on the balance of play. I don't normally agree with the "sign of a good team is winning without playing well" thing but I'm not overly concerned with what happened today given that we've played well in our other games. What's impressed me most about our form since March is that we're winning games in different ways. We had a slump in early 2023 when we were keeping possession for the sake of it and became predictable (we had a similar problem at times today) but McKenna has adapted and in the tougher games we've learnt to play without the ball. Our counter attacking at Sunderland was superb. 

I'd be highly surprised if we stay the course at the top (I predicted 13th at the start of the season) but it's nice for us to be up there for now. Like half of the Championship, we need another striker and a left centre-back so it'll hopefully be a busy end to the window. If we come unstuck it'll be because there are a few positions in the side where the gap between the first and second choice options is very wide.

I'd be beyond delighted if the top 2 were the top 2 end of the season. Think we'll be in the playoffs and you boys just shy of them. 

2 hours ago, LCFCJohn said:

So the only two 100% records after 2 games have stayed after 3. 

Ipswich look like they’ll have a good season as tipped to. It made me think whether there start is more impressive than ours. Yes they came up and we came down but then they have that positive momentum and a settled manager and team whereas we are rebuilding. I suppose if anything, their momentum might settle down and they could tail off whereas surely we will get better and better as we go on.

It's an interesting one to ponder.

I'd suggest that Ipswich's form is the more impressive, for now. Positive momentum is incredibly important, but they have gone up an entire division and are still showing the quality needed to compete. That's in contrast to us, who by coming down from the Premier League should have a higher chance of doing well, because to compete in the top division we (in theory) needed higher quality players than normally frequent this division.

10 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Sinclair Armstrong at QPR looks pure sauce. Reminds me of a young Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink in his shooting technique.

We should be after a striker at Reading goes by the name of Kelvin Ehibhatiomhan would be a great third option for us when Daka leaves.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, EFL View said:

Town fan here. It was easily our worst performance of the season today and QPR deserved a point on the balance of play. I don't normally agree with the "sign of a good team is winning without playing well" thing but I'm not overly concerned with what happened today given that we've played well in our other games. What's impressed me most about our form since March is that we're winning games in different ways. We had a slump in early 2023 when we were keeping possession for the sake of it and became predictable (we had a similar problem at times today) but McKenna has adapted and in the tougher games we've learnt to play without the ball. Our counter attacking at Sunderland was superb. 

I'd be highly surprised if we stay the course at the top (I predicted 13th at the start of the season) but it's nice for us to be up there for now. Like half of the Championship, we need another striker and a left centre-back so it'll hopefully be a busy end to the window. If we come unstuck it'll be because there are a few positions in the side where the gap between the first and second choice options is very wide.

A great start for you guys.  I think you've got a really good manager there. 

On a side note how you looking from s FFP perspective? I note that Mark Ashton is your Sporting Director.  He is despised at Bristol City,  as the architect of the financial troubles that they've been in, for which Pearson had basically had to asset strip the club over the last 3 years.

Giving out long contracts on silly money to average players, and then letting them run down to the final year (sounds a bit like Rudkin...).

Hope he's learned his lessons / been reined in as I would hate to see any other clubs suffer under that smooth talking charlatan. 

10 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Sinclair Armstrong at QPR looks pure sauce. Reminds me of a young Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink in his shooting technique.

Very raw although looks like a prospect. Big, strong quick and powerful. Sort of Palace signing where they’ll turn a huge profit in 18 months

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone hit the ball as effortlessly hard as Hasselbaink. Great player. 

• Like 1