Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

On 19/08/2023 at 10:03, Suzie the Fox said:

Can't say i follow Leeds to much tbh, my comment was based on what i have read on various sites, the following just one example. 

https://www.birminghamworld.uk/sport/football/west-brom/leeds-united-v-west-brom-injury-news-as-thirteen-ruled-out-and-six-doubts-4256885

Wasn’t disagreeing, I don’t follow Leeds at all but it’s in my face. Anything I say about them could be wrong. 

3 hours ago, StanSP said:

Rowe seems very good. Norwich have a found a gem in their ranks.

I thought he'd have done well last season but like many Norwich players they were underwhelming. Got a capable squad and a manager who's got out of this league before and history on their side.

Will be very well placed to go up, but probably need a better striker for top two.

7 hours ago, Happy Fox said:

We should be after a striker at Reading goes by the name of Kelvin Ehibhatiomhan would be a great third option for us when Daka leaves.

A moment's silence for the shirt printers in the club shop please

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Brizzle Fox said:

A great start for you guys.  I think you've got a really good manager there. 

On a side note how you looking from s FFP perspective? I note that Mark Ashton is your Sporting Director.  He is despised at Bristol City,  as the architect of the financial troubles that they've been in, for which Pearson had basically had to asset strip the club over the last 3 years.

Giving out long contracts on silly money to average players, and then letting them run down to the final year (sounds a bit like Rudkin...).

Hope he's learned his lessons / been reined in as I would hate to see any other clubs suffer under that smooth talking charlatan. 

McKenna's going right to the top. We just need to hope he gets to the Premier League with us rather than him getting poached, which will inevitably happen at some stage.

FFP wise we're in a reasonable position. We had the highest losses last season in League One but unlike in the Championship, the financial rules there only cover wages rather than fees. We were sensible enough to spend decent fees on players who would be capable of the step up into the Championship such as Harry Clarke, Nathan Broadhead and Leif Davis, last season as that money doesn't count towards our limit this year. 

For where we were at the time, Ashton was the right man to come in. Under our previous ownership it had been managed decline and we were in desperate need of somebody with a footballing background with the drive to bring the club forwards. We know how things went at Bristol City with the spending and there's still plenty of time for things to go wrong but it seems like he's learned his lesson fairly well. We pulled out of the Ellis Simms deal and weren't willing to match the £3.5m rising to £8m that Coventry paid, so we aren't going crazy. The window's been slower than we expected and when we've spent we've only committed modest fees, such as the £1.5m to yourselves for Hirst and a similar amount for Jack Taylor. Wouldn't surprise me if we double our spend in the last week of the window, but even then it wouldn't be silly money. 

The other thing with Ashton at Bristol City was that Covid threw the spanner into the works of their model. He got some decent fees for players (he got £20m for Adam Webster, a year after buying him from us for £3.5m and somehow managed to rinse Middlesbrough for £8m for Aden Flint) but once the market dried up it became a lot harder to replicate this success so cuts had to be made. I guess it wasn't too dissimilar to what happened to yourselves in the Premier League, when the Mahrez/Maguire/Chilwell conveyor belt which paid for the previous seasons' incoming transfers stopped running. 

If we can get into the top half this season it would be an exceptional effort. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fightforever said:

I've been visiting OwlsTalk every week after they sacked Darren Moore, its hilarious to watch the meltdown.

There was a bit of back and forth between our fans and theirs last year. In February when they were 10 points clear they started a "which League One players shall we buy when we're in the Championship" thread and included half the Town squad in their list. 

A couple of ours dragged it back up once we'd overtaken them in April and tried to join the forum to take the p1ss but they blocked all new accounts. The site crashed the evening of their 4-0 playoff defeat. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jaspa said:

Hull spending alot of money, early season performances have got their fans quite excited. Tough game in a couple of weeks.

Saw today that reportedly they were looking into signing both Keinan Davis and Jaden Philogene from Aston Villa.

A bit scared to face if I'm being honest and afraid that the team will drop points for the first time in the season to Hull.

On 22/08/2023 at 01:34, Iran said:

Saw today that reportedly they were looking into signing both Keinan Davis and Jaden Philogene from Aston Villa.

A bit scared to face if I'm being honest and afraid that the team will drop points for the first time in the season to Hull.

Yeah Hull, Southampton and Norwich looking like a tough stretch.

Although we should have a couple of right wingers in before Hull which should help

• Like 1