Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

2 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

You have been in worse leagues and  situations.

I know you have had great success in recent  seasons but don’t turn into a Leeds type club who think anything but PL is beneath them ( at least you have won stuff to justify such thoughts though!)

I just have an irrational hatred for the championship…… like wind, I have an irrational hatred for wind too, no reason for it and completely unjustified……

• Haha 4

17 hours ago, Phube said:

Remember when we were the worst team ever to play football in the league when we didn’t beat Rotherham 7-0 by half-time, look at what’s happening to the “best team in the league (TM)”:

IMG_5079.jpeg

Norwich losing Omobamidele so late to Forest can only be good for us. 

1 minute ago, lcfcsnow said:

So strange how that’s still being dragged out, credit to most of the teams we’ve played who haven’t bothered.

I know, it's like we refuse to move on. All it does for me personally is to remind me of the past, 2-3  years ago which frankly I'd rather forget. Move on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, CloudFox said:

It's really not about you though, is it. It's about taking a stand (or in this case, knee) for a few seconds to remind people of the struggles certain groups of people contend with every day. It's also not something of the past—the issue they are addressing continues to this day.

I really can't fathom why it gets on anyone's nerves.

Apart from the very relevant and positive impacts you have mentioned, it also outs the snowflake haters and RWNJS and gets them all whinning...so many positives indeed. lol 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lcfcsnow said:

So strange how that’s still being dragged out, credit to most of the teams we’ve played who haven’t bothered.

I think it’s vitally important it carries on.

I know of 6 racists who have been completely changed by 22 millionaires bending on 1 knee for 3 seconds before kick off. If everyone knows 6 racists that have changed because of it then there must be millions less across the world.

If it stops will the racists slip back into old negative behaviours? Who knows but I don’t think it’s worth the risk.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, CloudFox said:

It's really not about you though, is it. It's about taking a stand (or in this case, knee) for a few seconds to remind people of the struggles certain groups of people contend with every day. It's also not something of the past—the issue they are addressing continues to this day.

And yet players who do it then have no problem going to play in Saudi Arabia one of the most repressive poor human rights regimes in the world. For the £millions. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nalis said:

The weekend's results is so championship. 

Two of the goals in the Cov Watford game were hilarious lol

Hoedt's own goal will be on a blooper reel, then Coventry's mistake for Watford's third tried to outdo it lol 

2 hours ago, CloudFox said:

Because there lives are so sh1t they HAVE to get p1ssed off by little things like this🤣🤣🤣.

It's hilarious!!

• Haha 1

There does need to be a conversation about whether it’s actually worth it now. It’s three years on from when it was a very valid gesture. Three years on there is still racist incidents at football games. Less gesture, more action. 

I say that as someone who is totally behind it and wouldn’t booed if it continues.

Has there actually been any appropriate action? Has any consultation happen with players recently l? 

1 hour ago, TamworthFoxes said:

I know!! You would think they wouldn’t have time to let it bother them, what with the great lives their white privilege gives them.

These will most likely be the offspring of the ones who used to boo black players in the 80's and who hated "us lot" coming over.

Nowadays it's all very subtle, but WE know😏.

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Patrick said:

Because it's a completely pointless gesture that has now gone on for 3 years and achieved absolutely nothing, I can imagine many ethnic minorities would find it patronising to suggest that getting down on one knee for a few seconds before a football match in any way reflects their struggles or does anything to stop racism. Many black players don't agree with it either, Hull not joining in was very telling when considering their manager Liam Rosenior is very outspoken on issues around race and representation.

Pointless and yet...here we are talking about it, and its point: To acknowledge racism in sport and show solidarity with those affected.

It's not intended to reflect struggles or "do" anything about racism. There is only so much players can "do" about racism while they are on the pitch. Its the players choosing to acknowledge that racism is still a part of sport, and remind fans accordingly. The fact we are talking about it at all shows it still has meaning, and is worth doing. If we all forgot what it was for, then it becomes a meaningless or pointless gesture. And again, it is the players' choice, on an individual level. Re: not all black players agreeing, of course not, that is their right and choice. Quite rightly some don't feel it's necessary, in part because they themselves exist as evidence of the problem, because they've been subjected to it. It's an individual's decision, regardless of ethnicity. So even if a captain or coach requested the team do it or not, there is no obligation. I seriously doubt Rosenior would be upset with players for doing it based on their own beliefs, regardless of his.

2 hours ago, Fazzer 7 said:

And yet players who do it then have no problem going to play in Saudi Arabia one of the most repressive poor human rights regimes in the world. For the £millions. 

You're conflating a few issues here. That hypocrisy is awful, I agree. Poor human rights and racism aren't the same thing though. And taking a knee is about racism in sport, not repressive human rights by a regime across its entire country.

2 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

There does need to be a conversation about whether it’s actually worth it now. It’s three years on from when it was a very valid gesture. Three years on there is still racist incidents at football games. Less gesture, more action. 

I say that as someone who is totally behind it and wouldn’t booed if it continues.

Has there actually been any appropriate action? Has any consultation happen with players recently l? 

Completely hear you, and agree with some of the sentiment. The players may well be taking action privately/separately, but they can't exactly do that on a football pitch each week, watched by thousands (in our case) and even millions (across the whole sport each week). The taking of the knee is an acknowledgment and a reminder, seen by the thousands-to-millions watching the sport. As I said above, if we forgot what it meant then it becomes pointless. For as long as people remember what it means, it has purpose. That purpose then needs to be built upon, as you say—not just by footballers, but by fans, clubs, organisations and...so, so many others.

Edited by CloudFox
  • Like 2

Hadn't really paid much attention to Preston's results, great start for them.

Yesterday was a wild ride. As annoying as our result was, I am loving the batshit madness of the whole thing and the fact that anyone can beat anyone.

Boro stinking up the league so far after most of the 'championship experts' tipped them to be up there in the hunt for automatics is a bit funny for what it's worth. Comfortably beaten by a QPR team written off by the same 'experts' as doomed before a ball was kicked. Fun! 

Edited by OntarioFox
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Pliskin said:

It’s precisely what makes it a bad one.

All of these bizarre score lines are down to a complete lack of quality. I shudder every time I remember we’re in this dross league, it’s an absolute farmers league.

Yesterday was rancid, to go from a European semi final, to losing to Hull, vile stuff. I hope this is the only blip this season…… I’ve had to have several showers I feel filthy. 

We drew 0-0 to Hull in March 2015 before the run of W7 D1 L1, the following season then only lose 3 games where we couldn't play Hull. We then play them as Champions in the first game of the season In 2016 and lose. Hull are a bogey team that the past shows we usually go on a run after dropping points to.

Edited by Beachyboy