Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Edwam1972

Has Dean Smith gone then

3 hours ago, Quorndon_Fox said:

I really hope we don’t keep him and his team on. Nothing against the guy, he was brought in to do a job and didn’t succeed. 

We’re not going to get another opportunity like this to clear out the back room and bring in a squad they want.

Who are "they"?

The board? Top? Susan? They know less about "bringing in a squad" than most of us on here.

I think they'll be a club statement first. Probably an assessment of how we have performed despite relegation. What won't help deanos cause was that manner of the Fulham defeat.

Played: 7 Won: 2 Drew: 2 Lost: 3

Edited by Leicesterpool

1 hour ago, EnglishOxide said:

Don't get the dislike for him. He took the job when nobody else dared. 

His results weren't great but they weren't shit either. People seem to forget that he was brought in too late to make a real difference which was not his fault. 

Last 7 games under Smith: 9 points

Last 7 games under Bodgers: 1 point

Would have been lauded if Maddison bagged his pen against Everton or Castagne completed a smash and grab at Newcastle. He was also unlucky to lose Kelechi for a stint meaning we had to rely on Vardy and Daka who have had tragic seasons. 

There was a stint halfway through the first half yesterday where the team started sitting off and not pressing and he got stuck into them, you could visibly see the effect on the players as he wouldn't allow them to lose intensity. 

I think he's the right character to have in charge of the team for next season. We are not a Prem club anymore, we cannot be picky and we need strong leadership. We do not need another bollockless little twat like Brendan who only takes the job because he thinks it's a stepping stone to something greater. 

This 100%. 

But who? Is Smith the man? Not sure, when you read comments from Villa fans. He might have kept them up but then his style of football resulted in another struggle and eventual dismissal.

If he does us proud in the Championship and we get promoted (unlikely), will he be the man to take us upwards in the PL? Equally as unlikely as his CV isn't impressive enough and won't attract the players needed for PL survival.

He is not a manager that could attract ambitious players. 

• Like 1

I think a total clear out is required of the immediate first team coaching staff which would be Dean Smith, John Terry, Shakespeare, Sadler, Stowell(been around a long time, knows the club etc but it's time for him to go), Knudsen (set piece coach), matt reves (head of fitness and conditioning) 

With a new manager it would be preferable in my opinion whoever it is starts with a clean slate and possibly takes part in bringing in their own people to fill these roles.

And then other coaches as well in supporting roles such as strength training,  performance analysts, masseurs, physiotherapists, doctor, kit manager etc I would expect a majority of them will stay as it would be too much to dismiss and hire replacements in the short time frame.

Edited by Molson Canadian
Thracian said so

His results weren't great but they weren't shit either. People seem to forget that he was brought in too late to make a real difference which was not his fault. 

Would have been lauded if Maddison bagged his pen against Everton or Castagne completed a smash and grab at Newcastle. He was also unlucky to lose Kelechi for a stint meaning we had to rely on Vardy and Daka who have had tragic seasons. 

There was a stint halfway through the first half yesterday where the team started sitting off and not pressing and he got stuck into them, you could visibly see the effect on the players as he wouldn't allow them to lose intensity. 

I think he's the right character to have in charge of the team for next season. We are not a Prem club anymore, we cannot be picky and we need strong leadership. We do not need another bollockless little twat like Brendan who only takes the job because he thinks it's a stepping stone to something greater. 

Come on now. Comparing him with Rodgers is not a good idea. If Rodgers got 1 point in 7 games that suggests you couldn’t really do worse.

Smith didn’t do worse, but he still didn’t get the best out of our players. Looking at the individual games does not do him any favours. The Everton game in particular showed him up as tactically inept and a poor motivator - we looked scared, passive and would have been battered by a side who could finish better. Iversen performed miracles. 

I say it on every thread: We need to start having standards if we want to be successful. Smith is not up to standard. He will be sacked in the next 12 months if we keep him. It would be a hideous appointment akin to Shakespeare.

There are so many talented young managers out there if we are willing to scout and conduct a proper interview process. We won’t, but obviously I’m talking about what we should do, rather than what we will do.

• Like 3

Couldn't agree more, I don't know what people expected from him with the catastrophically bad squad he had to work with.

Should be sticking with him and giving him a fair go in the champ.

Hope he goes. Happy to keep Shakey in the back room but get rid of the Rodgers crew and Smith then start again. We need a upcoming manager who can build a game bunch of players on low wages and raw ambition. Otherwise we will be mired in debt and always needing to see our best players on. I'd rather see a load of fresh faces on a 5 year rebuild that have the rotting Rodgers leftovers.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

Come on now. Comparing him with Rodgers is not a good idea. If Rodgers got 1 point in 7 games that suggests you couldn’t really do worse.

Smith didn’t do worse, but he still didn’t get the best out of our players. Looking at the individual games does not do him any favours. The Everton game in particular showed him up as tactically inept and a poor motivator - we looked scared, passive and would have been battered by a side who could finish better. Iversen performed miracles. 

I say it on every thread: We need to start having standards if we want to be successful. Smith is not up to standard. He will be sacked in the next 12 months if we keep him. It would be a hideous appointment akin to Shakespeare.

There are so many talented young managers out there if we are willing to scout and conduct a proper interview process. We won’t, but obviously I’m talking about what we should do, rather than what we will do.

I mean I’m not defending the way the clubs dealt with this season but still.....

“What we should do rather than what we will do” 😂.

You don’t even understand the very basic footballing concept of “two banks of four” never mind the intricate workings of a professional football club so wind your neck in.

He did a lot better then Rodgers but his brief was survival and it wasn't achieved.

We could well be struggling under him in the Championship next season 3 months in. Imagine how sour the mood is going to turn should that happen on the back of the last 8 games.

I was initially encouraged by his reinstatement of Soyuncu but the bizarre handling of Souttar (including not playing him against Everton,) the blind faith in Ndidi, Mendy rotting on the bench, KDH rotting on the bench and the complete binning off of VK is a real concern. On top of that the performance against Fulham alone is enough for me to say that Deano’s tenure should not be extended. 

• Like 3

Did what he could with a poisoned chalice. Look at it in isolation and that form would have just about kept us up - we'd have ended up with 38 over the season.

Is it good enough? Not even close given where we've been, and tactically got it wrong against Everton and Fulham which ultimately cost us our PL status. And I agree we should look for a truly blank slate next season.

But if they're going to persist, best to get it over with and let the clear-out of the playing staff start ASAP. I'll back them even if it's not the most inspiring outcome.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fox1970 said:

No way.  I still can't see how he could consistently select Soumare over Mendy

For me it was Ndidi over Mendy that was the issue. Soumare wasn’t perfect but he was way better than Ndidi. Sadly Ndidi was an absolute shambles in every match he played under Deano. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, EnglishOxide said:

Still rubbish 9 in 7 …..has to go imo 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

I was initially encouraged by his reinstatement of Soyuncu but the bizarre handling of Souttar (including not playing him against Everton,) the blind faith in Ndidi, Mendy rotting on the bench, KDH rotting on the bench and the complete binning off of VK is a real concern. On top of that the performance against Fulham alone is enough for me to say that Deano’s tenure should not be extended. 

Post of the day 

• Like 1