Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ryy

Development/Youth Squads 2023/2024 Thread - U18/U21

8 minutes ago, lcfcell said:

Popov was doing very well about 18 months ago wasn’t he? Is he another who’s had rotten injury luck. 16 goals in 22 for the U18s during the 21/22 season but barely played since then. Still only 19 

Played a bit with the under 21s leading up the World Cup last year but then picked up an injury in December 2022 I believe and was then out for a few months

Came back and then got another injury from a bad tackle on him which required surgery

• Like 1

You’d assume Alves gets minutes against a league side in Fleetwood on Tuesday which is good, given the game was cut short. 

Great to see him scoring and running forward like that. Could be absolutely perfect timing for him as it’s the skill set we’re missing at present 

• Like 1

On 03/11/2023 at 21:59, moore_94 said:

What was Alves’ goal like?

You've seen it now but yes, lovely individual goal. Everyone was pleased to see him back and scoring. Good to see that so far his injury doesn't seem to have adversely affected him. 

Braybrooke was watching. Hope he's back soon.

With Nelson captaining, it'll be great to have the three of them playing together again. Just need Wormleighton to get fit. 

Though I wouldn't be surprised to see Nelson out on loan in January if his contract situation is resolved in time. 

• Like 2

...would love to see Wormleighton back in the team!!!

As we do not use Fullbacks in the traditional sense, it will be difficult to encorporate him in the way that we play. He previously played as a winger and I  wonder if there could be an opening for him right there. 

To get through to the first team he will have to excel and I  can't see Petty being enlightened enough to bring him through as a winger. If we maintain the way we play under Maresca, Wormleighton is not going to fit, long term.

6 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Would that be a bit too early?! 

Depends if he's being viewed as a 1st team player or still an academy player. Both Ricardo and Justin only made 1 appearance for the academy to blow the cobwebs away and then were on the bench for the 1st team.

Alves has played at least 1 behind close doors friendly, 30 mins for the U21s on Friday and I'd hope will play a good chunk of Tuesdays game vs Fleetwood. 

1 hour ago, Devonfox1884 said:

The future is Fatawu and Alves on the wings, I hope he gets a chance soon.

We know Alves can play on the wings and in the 10 role. I suspect Maresca might try him in the 8 role. Hopefully the club playing him a while back as a DM in the development squad will now turnout to be a useful thing rather than madness as it seemed at the time. 

An 18 y o playing as an 8 in enzo’s formation …….

Don’t see it for someone who isn’t of a physical size - can’t see him having strong enough upper body strength for another year or two. He’s clearly worked on it but would expect to see him tried out wide unless enzo decides to have a fiddle in formation at some point when a game is safe and play a 10 or a false 9. 

12 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Don’t see it for someone who isn’t of a physical size - can’t see him having strong enough upper body strength for another year or two. He’s clearly worked on it but would expect to see him tried out wide unless enzo decides to have a fiddle in formation at some point when a game is safe and play a 10 or a false 9. 

Not sure being an absolute unit is a requirement.

Being able to move and willing to drive forward with the ball and get into the box are whats required.

Seems to tick those boxes to me. Makes sense for him to get that experience at this level.  For me, Yunus has looked more impressive in the 8 role instead of out wide as well. Alves strikes me as a player similar to Yunus.

• Like 2

On 05/11/2023 at 17:24, st albans fox said:

Winks is quite slight.

43 minutes ago, An Away Move said:

Winks is quite slight.

The way we play he doesn’t have a lot of physical pressing to do - add in the control we have on the ball means winks usually has a first time option to play so rarely has to battle in possession 

our eights are asked to press and recover the ball - they are our engine and you can see the drop off since wilf hasn’t been available