Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ryy

Development/Youth Squads 2023/2024 Thread - U18/U21

2 minutes ago, Holly B said:

No

He had England involvement, trained with our first team and some evidence to suggest Liverpool didn’t exactly play by the rules so he won’t be cheap. If the last point is proved they could be in deep shite 

I think you’ll find its liverpool so it means more Holly …….  I’m prepared to consider a whole box of curly wurlies ! 

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-city-enzo-maresca-youth-8909850

Leicester City youngsters on difficult ride as they prepare for Enzo Maresca call
Latest Leicester City news as we look at how the Foxes youngsters are preparing for Enzoball under new manager Maresca

ByLuke Pawley Midlands Football Writer
07:00, 17 NOV 2023

Leicester City are now playing football the Enzo way, as the terraces will tell you whenever the Foxes are in action.

The fruits of his work are already clear to see in the Championship, as Leicester sit top of the league with 13 wins from 16 games. But Maresca's 'idea' is one that needs spreading throughout the club, including the under-21 and under-18 teams.

Maresca spent time with those sides' coaches in pre-season, briefing them on his 'idea' and what he expects from his young teams. While they are implementing the ideas, the progress has not been quite so smooth. But with the idea new to coaches and players alike, it is an understandable by-product of change.

What is clear is that Enzoball is not working for the under-21s against senior opposition. In their three EFL Trophy group stage games, they scored two goals and conceded 11. In a 4-0 defeat to Fleetwood Town's first team last Tuesday (November 7), City's youngsters had 40% possession and completed just 75% of their 161 passes.

Three days later, the young Foxes lost 1-0 to Brentford B, but the statistics painted a much different picture. Leicester were dominant, particularly in the second half, and created an abundance of chances. City had 70% of the possession in that game, according to coach Ben Petty.

Those contrasting games show the inconsistency of working to implement a new system. Leicester under-21s are currently 20th in the Premier League 2, and the under-18s are eighth in the 13-team U18 Premier League South.

While results are an important factor at that level, they are not crucial. What's key here is that the players adapt themselves so they are ready to play for the first team under Enzo Maresca when called upon. Those who watch the young teams regularly can already see evidence of that happening.

In the coming years, there are plenty of young players who could be ready to do just that. City have some bright attacking talent coming through the ranks, particularly in the under-18s group.

Attacking midfielder Kirsten Otchere, 16, has scored five goals and assisted two more in nine appearances for the under-18s this season. He has already represented England at under-15 level. His teammate Jake Evans, also 16, has made one start and three substitute appearances, scoring three goals.

Bobby Amartey, 17, and Kaleb Dyke, 16, have also impressed in the defensive central midfield role, which is pivotal to how Maresca sets up his teams. Former Manchester City full-back Jayden Joseph, 17, is already adapting to the inverted full-back role.

The young players will continue their important work with their coaches. First team coach Danny Walker does a lot of work with younger players, and that is set to continue. Youngsters will also get opportunities to train work with Enzo Maresca during international breaks.

So while results are perhaps not reflective of an exciting next generation at Leicester City, there is plenty of evidence that good work is being done to develop players for the Enzo way.

• Like 1

...the trick is not implementing Maresca ball but playing the players in their right positions!!!

We have always come off second best to  league teams, it is no surprise, what we do not want, is players being shunted around in different positions to make up a team.

Edited by sacreblueits442
Spelling error.
  • Like 1

U18’s beat Stoke 4-0 in the Premier League Cup.

City: Bausor; Neale, McAlinney, Amartey; Aluko (Thomas 80'), Joseph (Toure 63'), Dyke (Khela 80'), Ali; Briggs; Loureiro (Ononaye 64'), Otchere.

Sub not used: Donohue.

Goals: Otchere 34', Joseph 43', Ali 71, Ononaye 73'.

• Like 2

https://maidstoneunited.co.uk/2023/11/25/leicesters-appiah-arrives-on-loan/

Paul Appiah has joined the Stones on loan from Leicester City.

The 21-year-old signed for the Foxes’ Development Squad during the summer of 2022, following time at Aston Villa’s Academy.

After featuring for Chelsea’s under-18s in 2017/18, the centre-back moved to Villa, where he appeared regularly for the Academy and in Premier League 2 between 2018 and 2022.

A warm welcome to Paul who will be with us until the end of December and our thanks to Leicester City for their help in arranging the loan.

19 minutes ago, davieG said:

https://maidstoneunited.co.uk/2023/11/25/leicesters-appiah-arrives-on-loan/

Paul Appiah has joined the Stones on loan from Leicester City.

The 21-year-old signed for the Foxes’ Development Squad during the summer of 2022, following time at Aston Villa’s Academy.

After featuring for Chelsea’s under-18s in 2017/18, the centre-back moved to Villa, where he appeared regularly for the Academy and in Premier League 2 between 2018 and 2022.

A warm welcome to Paul who will be with us until the end of December and our thanks to Leicester City for their help in arranging the loan.

About his level tbh. 

3 hours ago, GingerrrFox said:

About his level tbh. 

...when I first saw him in his first pre-season he looked impressive, I thought we had a real player on our hands!!!

He was calm and assured in the defence and could carry the ball forward with adept ball skills. I was looking out to see if he would be brought into the group to train with the first team but he did not have that breakthrough I anticipated.

AS time wore on, he and the whole club became worse and his play had deteriorated to the point of him being seen as a liability. I am still amazed that someone could become so poor in such a short space of time.

I hope he can turn this all around in a new environment because from what I originally witnessed, he does have the ability to do very well within the game.

51 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...when I first saw him in his first pre-season he looked impressive, I thought we had a real player on our hands!!!

He was calm and assured in the defence and could carry the ball forward with adept ball skills. I was looking out to see if he would be brought into the group to train with the first team but he did not have that breakthrough I anticipated.

AS time wore on, he and the whole club became worse and his play had deteriorated to the point of him being seen as a liability. I am still amazed that someone could become so poor in such a short space of time.

I hope he can turn this all around in a new environment because from what I originally witnessed, he does have the ability to do very well within the game.

Same here. Couldn't understand why he was getting slaughtered on here - other than that everyone ended up playing poor last year.

• Like 1