Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ryy

Development/Youth Squads 2023/2024 Thread - U18/U21

12 minutes ago, Foxes96 said:

Think Alves looked better when he moved to the left. Carries the ball very well, like a young Jack Grealish 

Agreed. Briggs pressing centrally made a big improvement too.

That's something the 1st team need to do more and has got slightly improved since Ndidi returned.

28 minutes ago, Foxes96 said:

Think Alves looked better when he moved to the left. Carries the ball very well, like a young Jack Grealish 

14 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Agreed. Briggs pressing centrally made a big improvement too.

That's something the 1st team need to do more and has got slightly improved since Ndidi returned.

I’ve been convinced for a while that Alves’s immediate future lies on the LW, especially under Maresca. Being 1v1 with the oppo fullback and having the shackles off defensively compared to having to be more structured as an 8 suits him massively. 

• Like 2

Just now, GingerrrFox said:

I’ve been convinced for a while that Alves’s immediate future lies on the LW, especially under Maresca. Being 1v1 with the oppo fullback and having the shackles off defensively compared to having to be more structured as an 8 suits him massively. 

There's space for him, Mavididi doesn't really have much competition at the minute.

• Like 2

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/leicester-city-notebook-enzo-maresca-8952951?fbclid=IwAR1ixRqgMdH0EHMm6u01z4HsduD7qmqrH-RzOUuHMxP4GuMikkSGaIHoun8

No plans yet for Marcal and Nelson’s futures

While there remains a solid contingent of homegrown players in the Leicester City squad with the likes of Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall, Hamza Choudhury and Kasey McAteer, that group was bigger at the start of the season. Back in August, Wanya Marcal and Ben Nelson were very much part of the first team too.

Marcal played four games and was starting matches in the Championship, scoring in the win over Cardiff. Meanwhile, Nelson was finally given his debut in the Carabao Cup win at Tranmere.

But they’ve not been seen since. Because of the signings of Yunus Akgun and Abdul Fatawu towards the end of the window, Marcal has not played since August, albeit he was an unused substitute for the recent matches against Sunderland, QPR, and Leeds. Nelson has not been in a matchday squad since the start of September.

There must be thoughts, as January approaches, over whether their immediate and long-term futures are best served at City or out on loan. But Maresca has said there is no plan just yet, and suggested he would like to keep Nelson around so he can learn the City way.

“They are all different cases,” Maresca said. “In the case of Wanya, he started with us, he played some games from the start and he did well. But it was also a part of the season where we didn’t have our wingers. You see him, he scored a goal, he did well. He played two or three games from the start.

“I really like Ben, I think it’s really good for him to be around us. But he’s another young player who needs to be patient. We have Jannik (Vestergaard), Conor, Harry Souttar, we have him, we are using JJ (James Justin). At the moment, there is no plan for them. We’ll see.”

2 hours ago, davieG said:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/leicester-city-notebook-enzo-maresca-8952951?fbclid=IwAR1ixRqgMdH0EHMm6u01z4HsduD7qmqrH-RzOUuHMxP4GuMikkSGaIHoun8

No plans yet for Marcal and Nelson’s futures

While there remains a solid contingent of homegrown players in the Leicester City squad with the likes of Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall, Hamza Choudhury and Kasey McAteer, that group was bigger at the start of the season. Back in August, Wanya Marcal and Ben Nelson were very much part of the first team too.

Marcal played four games and was starting matches in the Championship, scoring in the win over Cardiff. Meanwhile, Nelson was finally given his debut in the Carabao Cup win at Tranmere.

But they’ve not been seen since. Because of the signings of Yunus Akgun and Abdul Fatawu towards the end of the window, Marcal has not played since August, albeit he was an unused substitute for the recent matches against Sunderland, QPR, and Leeds. Nelson has not been in a matchday squad since the start of September.

There must be thoughts, as January approaches, over whether their immediate and long-term futures are best served at City or out on loan. But Maresca has said there is no plan just yet, and suggested he would like to keep Nelson around so he can learn the City way.

“They are all different cases,” Maresca said. “In the case of Wanya, he started with us, he played some games from the start and he did well. But it was also a part of the season where we didn’t have our wingers. You see him, he scored a goal, he did well. He played two or three games from the start.

“I really like Ben, I think it’s really good for him to be around us. But he’s another young player who needs to be patient. We have Jannik (Vestergaard), Conor, Harry Souttar, we have him, we are using JJ (James Justin). At the moment, there is no plan for them. We’ll see.”

Even if we don’t sign a new centre back Ben Nelson really does need to be going out on loan in January anyway

Same with Wanya really

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AjcW said:

Really feel like we shoot ourselves in the foot sometimes. Why on earth didn’t cannon play last night? 

I think he's seen as one more for the future as in next season which is strange given that were likely to be in the Premiership then.

I expect he will get a run out in the new year especially of Daka or Kelechi goes.

42 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

I think he's seen as one more for the future as in next season which is strange given that were likely to be in the Premiership then.

I expect he will get a run out in the new year especially of Daka or Kelechi goes.

Surely all the more reason to make use of the U21 league rules that mean he can play? 🤷‍♂️

Edited by AjcW

3 hours ago, AjcW said:

Surely all the more reason to make use of the U21 league rules that mean he can play? 🤷‍♂️

Yes I agree, I just don't see Enzo playing him anytime soon while we have 3 first team strikers.

Which is very likely to change in January.

16 hours ago, st albans fox said:

If we are set on getting up and staying up then neither of them look to be good enough for a top half premier league squad imo 

it might seem harsh but that’s what I see 

Ben Nelson has the potential IMO. We'd certainly want to retain him and progress him, even if he turned out to be a Championship standard player only he'd be worth several million with the right development and pathway. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Assume the usual wanting more money or guaranteed minutes?

I imagine at this stage in his career it's about believing the pathway is there to first team football. He's still only 19 so first team opportunities at CB are going to be limited but he's wasted in the 21's.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, westernpark said:

I think him and Nelson will both be better than Alves.

It's quite curious the content and interaction the club and the likes of the Leicester Mercury have with Alves. Clubs tend not to get involved in hype but I've never known an academy player not currently cemented in the 1st team get the coverage that Alves gets.

I think they view him as the jewel in the Crown but it doesn't always work out that way.

All three are class IMO, really hope they all make it. There's a few others ticking over nicely too, despite the negativity around performances and results in the U18s and U21s.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

It's quite curious the content and interaction the club and the likes of the Leicester Mercury have with Alves. Clubs tend not to get involved in hype but I've never known an academy player not currently cemented in the 1st team get the coverage that Alves gets.

I think they view him as the jewel in the Crown but it doesn't always work out that way.

All three are class IMO, really hope they all make it. There's a few others ticking over nicely too, despite the negativity around performances and results in the U18s and U21s.

For me the main disappointment regarding Nelson is that he’s not gone out on loan this season. It’s instinct rather than any sort of thorough assessment but I believe he is the only one out of three that could slot into our side at the moment, albeit he wouldn’t be as good as Vestegaard/Faes currently . Our strength in depth at centre back, clearly points to the necessity of a loan this season. Obviously I may have a different opinion had the injuries not hit Braybrooke and Alves. For Braybrooke, I think he has the ability to play Winks’ role but I think we underestimate how street wise his(Winks) play is at times, something that I think he(Braybrooke) could do with a loan to somewhere in league one. Alves, you’re right regarding the hype, I remember pre going for a night out in January 2022, making my mates watch Bournemouth vs Leicester U18s just so we could watch Alves, I think we scored 4? that night. However, every time I see him, I’m not sure where he fits into men’s football. Strange statement I know but perhaps until he finds his feet, he won’t be completely accommodated into the side. I think perhaps a flexible role on the left of a front three but that’s just lazy thinking on my part. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, westernpark said:

For me the main disappointment regarding Nelson is that he’s not gone out on loan this season. It’s instinct rather than any sort of thorough assessment but I believe he is the only one out of three that could slot into our side at the moment, albeit he wouldn’t be as good as Vestegaard/Faes currently . Our strength in depth at centre back, clearly points to the necessity of a loan this season. Obviously I may have a different opinion had the injuries not hit Braybrooke and Alves. For Braybrooke, I think he has the ability to play Winks’ role but I think we underestimate how street wise his(Winks) play is at times, something that I think he(Braybrooke) could do with a loan to somewhere in league one. Alves, you’re right regarding the hype, I remember pre going for a night out in January 2022, making my mates watch Bournemouth vs Leicester U18s just so we could watch Alves, I think we scored 4? that night. However, every time I see him, I’m not sure where he fits into men’s football. Strange statement I know but perhaps until he finds his feet, he won’t be completely accommodated into the side. I think perhaps a flexible role on the left of a front three but that’s just lazy thinking on my part. 

I think the lack of a loan was down partly to Nelson's contractual situation (out of contract summer 2024) and partly Enzo wanting to have a look at him. He's certainly been consistently training with the first team, featured on the bench at the start of the season and got his debut when JJ picked up an injury. I hope the contract situation is resolved in time for him to go out on loan in Jan if the right opportunity can be found.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, westernpark said:

Can't disagree with any of this. Pretty much my feelings too. I just get the sense it's sooner rather than later that Alves gets to where they all expect him to be.

I really do hope Alvez makes it into the 1st team and the others too. At the moment there are solid 1st team players still sitting on the bench so I’m really not sure what Enzo’s plan is at the mo. He seems very vague when questioned about it. At some point we need to see fresh impetus especially when we have games where we are struggling but hey easy for me to say I’m not Enzo. He coukd do what we all ask for and if it goes pear shaped we’d be on his back straight away lol.

• Like 1

On 05/12/2023 at 16:02, Ric Flair said:

Game of cat and mouse on their contract situation from what I gather.

That seems to have resolved itself...

<<<Deal done.