Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ryy

Development/Youth Squads 2023/2024 Thread - U18/U21

Just now, davieG said:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/vardy-alves-fatawu--leicester-9034949

• 12:46, 15 JAN 2024
  • UPDATED13:04, 15 JAN 2024

Will Alves is slowly getting closer to a position where he can push for a first senior outing under Maresca. The manager said on the teenage attacking midfielder last week: “Will is back with us, doing part of the session, but he’s not full training with us.”

As we are not playing until Monday you would think that tonights under 21 game would be suitable for him to play to get some minutes in his legs

According to Fotmob

Young 

Cover Godsmark-Ford Cartwright Wormleghhton

Briggs Wilson-Brown

Maswanhise Lindley Marcal-Madivadua

Thomas

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, davieG said:

According to Fotmob

Young 

Cover Godsmark-Ford Cartwright Wormleghhton

Briggs Wilson-Brown

Maswanhise Lindley Marcal-Madivadua

Thomas

Is luke thomas being put in the shop window, by getting him some goals? 

Edited by Lambert09

Just for a bit of context Man City are bottom of the PL2 having won one game all season 

This only relevant if results are your main driver rather than getting young players through into your first team squad

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Holly B said:

Just for a bit of context Man City are bottom of the PL2 having won one game all season 

This only relevant if results are your main driver rather than getting young players through into your first team squad

Bit of a transition season for them, everyone half decent  is either out on loan, sold for FFP or in the first team. 

I just cannot get my head around why the club don’t replace Petty with someone more competent. 

It’s a very important role within the club and this guy clearly isn’t up to it. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Salieri said:

I just cannot get my head around why the club don’t replace Petty with someone more competent. 

It’s a very important role within the club and this guy clearly isn’t up to it. 

Out of interest how are you measuring if he is good or bad at his job

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ramadaone said:

Don't even know where to start with this question

Edited by AjcW

Generally speaking...

- Plays a similar style/tactic to first team manager

- Play players in their actual positions to aid development (i've still not got over seeing Alves at DM last year)

- Consistently bring U18's through when the talent is clearly there, exposing them to a higher level earlier

- Encouraging powers that be to release anyone over the age of 21 who hasn't yet had a 1st team appearance

- Not signing other clubs cast offs to fill squad, insist we promote U18's and below to assist with this, or where neccessary aid first team returners with injuries by giving them minutes.

It's not all on him, the structure is a joke given the infratructure, we're wasting precious years at our new facility.

It's no surprise most of those who have made the first team or gone on to be a success have pretty much skipped the U21 stage and gone out on loan or into the first team. 

13 hours ago, Holly B said:

I wouldn’t say the results bother me per-say but certainly the nature of some of the results bother me

Not been much of a thing for the under 21s so far this season (until last night) but the under 18s are starting to develop a very bad habit this season of throwing away results by conceding goals very late on

• Like 1

Last night (aged 20+)

Brad Young - 21 (Sent back by a national league side as couldn't even become their 3rd choice keeper....)

Brandon Cover - 20 - If he's any good, why no loan?

Wormleighton - 20 - Been injured 

Godsmark Ford - 20 - No sign of a loan?

Raikhy - 21 - Villa cast off.... god knows why....

Wanya - 21 - Had a taste of first team, contract caused issues - Has to go out on loan this month if we're serious about his future

Maswanhise - 21 - Feels like he's been an U21 forever, yet again, no loan to speak off, what's our plan? Keep until 22 then release? 

It's just ridiculous to be honest. It's not fair on the lads either, if they're not good enough (majority above never will be) set them free to the lower leagues!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Last night (aged 20+)

Brad Young - 21 (Sent back by a national league side as couldn't even become their 3rd choice keeper....)

Wanya - 21 - Had a taste of first team, contract caused issues - Has to go out on loan this month if we're serious about his future

Maswanhise - 21 - Feels like he's been an U21 forever, yet again, no loan to speak off, what's our plan? Keep until 22 then release? 

It's just ridiculous to be honest. It's not fair on the lads either, if they're not good enough (majority above never will be) set them free to the lower leagues!

Are they bothered though? So many young players at Premier League and Championship clubs happy to keep playing on under 23 contracts for as long as they can. 

2 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Are they bothered though? So many young players at Premier League and Championship clubs happy to keep playing on under 23 contracts for as long as they can. 

Exactly... the only way of counteracting that though is having internal protocols, such as moving people on at age 22 if they've shown no signs of making the first team.

We are in control of this after all, can end contracts as we wish within reason. 

It's all comfy comfy here, just like the manager and his staff, he knows first hand how long the last spanner was allowed to be in charge, and now he's being afforded exactly the same grace lol 

14 hours ago, Holly B said:

I think when a large chunk of the squad is aged 19-21 then it's not just that its a young side being fast tracked earlier and therefore results in the short term aren't important. We've been relegated 2 out of 3 seasons but for a stay of execution.

We've got better from when Beaglehole was in charge in getting players in the the U21s (was U23s back then) in to that level earlier but presumably we also retain academy players to make the line ups competitive to help enable those who have a chance of making it here prosper in the environment.

Our U21s going on loan has dropped off a cliff, possibly because we got relegated and Enzo wants to keep Nelson, Wanya etc but still should have some of them on loan this season.

1 hour ago, AjcW said:

Last night (aged 20+)

i’m a firm believer in loans, but I don’t think you can read too much into the age of the pro.

If the right deal isn’t there, it hinders the development. McAteer at FGR is a great example of that. 

Same with some of Nelson’s early moves. 

KDH didn’t go on loan until he was about 22.  There are some just kept around to make up the numbers, but there’s still some argument that certain players will develop more in a development squad than a lower league loan. Maswanhise could be a good example of that. Not sure he’s the type of player that would learn from long balls and getting smashed everytime the ball comes near him in league 2. Maybe we develop him until he’s ready for league 1 and his game benefits more. 

Everyone’s different. I do absolutely think we should be having more players on loan and we’re not doing good enough. But what’s more concerning, is that without any of our prospects out on loan… our under 21s are still awful. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ramadaone said:

Same as you would any other coach/manager. Is he getting the best out of the players at his disposal, performing at least as well as can be expected in the league/cup competitions, showing signs of improvement and progression along the way? 

I may be wrong and there are plenty more qualified and knowledgeable than me to make that call, but in my humble opinion, I’m sure we could and should be doing better and if that means a change then so be it. 

Underachieving isn’t accepted at senior level so why should complacency be allowed in the youth set up?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AjcW said:

Last night (aged 20+)

Not a fan of Petty but they're are not his fault even the Villa influx won't be totally down to him and with the number of youths turning up in the 1st team I'd guess the club would assume it's a success hence by default he must be doing ok.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, davieG said:

Not a fan of Petty but they're are not his fault even the Villa influx won't be totally down to him and with the number of youths turning up in the 1st team I'd guess the club would assume it's a success hence by default he must be doing ok.

Take a look at the ones we've brought through in detail. The majority have been nurtured by loans are by being involved with the 1st team almost straight from 18's level. U21 level has had minimal say in their dev.