Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Women's World Cup 2023 - Australia/New Zealand

18 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Might be one for the unpopular opinions threads but the pelter for James and the praise for Nigeria are both over the top in equal measure.

Feel like there's probably going to be more pelter to the pelters than actual pelters, and any unecessary pelters will come from fragile men who don't follow women's football anyway. "Beckham got criticism why shouldn't SHE"

It was a rash, idiotic moment that any number of female or male footballers are capable of. Her punishment of 3 games would see her miss the final so she doesn't need any more criticism, she'll feel bad enough when that additional ban comes through and she potentially misses out on England in a World Cup final**

**Yes, yes if we get there etc.

3 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

"It could have been you, Ashley Plumtree it could have been you" lol

On balance it should have been Ashleigh Plumtre. Much as I'm happy to see Ingerland go through, an inch or two lower and that volley would have gone in. Apparently, she's a free agent now after her contract with LCFCW expired in July. Seeing how well she played today, one wonders what the story is there.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, gerblod said:

On balance it should have been Ashleigh Plumtre. Much as I'm happy to see Ingerland go through, an inch or two lower and that volley would have gone in. Apparently, she's a free agent now after her contract with LCFCW expired in July. Seeing how well she played today, one wonders what the story is there.

The departure of most of the out of contract players was announced straight after the season, but her's was a few weeks later which suggests there were negotiations going on.  She had a pretty decent game today, but I think CB (her usual club position) is one where Leicester have needed an upgrade for a while.  Others seem to rate her more highly than I do though.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

We’ll she should of course, but her team mates won the game and as you say her ban is punishment enough.

As mentioned Sarina needs to make statement to say this not acceptable and send her home. She can't play anymore in the tournament, she could have cost her team. Yes learning curve for her but allowing to stick around the camp after that incident just doesn't sit right with me. Yes she was brilliant in those two games but today she just undone and but the ladies game to shame.  She is got a bright future ahead of her, but this not what we want to see from any of our future stars. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

As mentioned Sarina needs to make statement to say this not acceptable and send her home. She can't play anymore in the tournament, she could have cost her team. Yes learning curve for her but allowing to stick around the camp after that incident just doesn't sit right with me. Yes she was brilliant in those two games but today she just undone and but the ladies game to shame.  She is got a bright future ahead of her, but this not what we want to see from any of our future stars. 

That's a great way to keep squad moral up whilst being potentially 3 games away from being world champions. I'm sure they'd all love it if the manager laid in to her and they all had to say goodbye days before the quarter final. Its not gonna happen is it, because it would be hugely counterproductive. Her teammates will support her and want her around to cheer them on even if she can't play. She's more than earnt the right to stick around and be there with them whenever this run ends.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Leicesterpool said:

I think it would be harsh to send her home, especially given that it has not yet been confirmed that she will get a ban longer than one match.

She was frustrated and lost her cool. She's not the first and won't be the last to do so. Banishing her from the squad would send the wrong statement for me.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

James is probably feeling rather relieved .

We got out of jail there .

No ..we held the Lynch mob off..with a professional disciplined performance,except one player…

Both defences excellent…We had fewer chances,but still had them worried,

Why ???  Because we had the solid togetherness,and didn’t break.

Nigerias deserve all the praise they get,enjoyed the game and what they put into it..Skill,fight,and discipline.

End of the day,it was England that broke through and hearts…

How many times have we been in Nigerias position…

Today we weren’t…we were the big bad wolf, who kept the upsurrpers  away…

• Like 2

Well done to the rest of the team for bailing James out. I’ve seen so many people trying to defend her. But for me, you can’t defend that. Obviously very intentional and tried to get it away with it. I’ve just seen Fara Williams claim it’s not a stamp? It’s quite clearly a stamp. 

• Like 1

On 01/08/2023 at 10:14, WigstonWanderer said:

Great from England today. I’m getting more and more impressed with the quality of women’s football.

Improving by leaps and bounds, everywhere but north America  :cry:

Seriously, up until a couple of WWCs ago, there were usually four to eight countries playing what I considered to be very good, enjoyable football.  Nowadays, even the likes of Morocco are worth watching and can spring the big upset. 

14 minutes ago, Bert said:

Well done to the rest of the team for bailing James out. I’ve seen so many people trying to defend her. But for me, you can’t defend that. Obviously very intentional and tried to get it away with it. I’ve just seen Fara Williams claim it’s not a stamp? It’s quite clearly a stamp. 

She was not unbalanced,not a step of uncertainty with her other foot or leg.. it was deliberate,worse a lot worse than Beckhams wild outburst with the leg while on floor…The consequence would not of been in her mind,she is one of our top 3 players “who”

can change or make a difference in a game….

This competition by this action,she has forfeited the right to have a place in or near team..

I said earlier Red card match ban is enough..

Other top International teams players have maybe done worse,but this is England we are more consequent, IMO should set a precedence…and she should be made to understand why…Take the money & plaudits,accept such action leads to the opposite.

Understand something I would love to see her somehow get a way with it…Get to the final,score an Hattrick,with under the table headlines, she shouldn’t have been there…wouldn’t give a wobbled seamed, fcuk…

But manager should tell her you went to far on my shift,and in other player major moments. You can’t now be the headlines,go back to family,go on holiday, otherwise you will disrupt our preparation and major chance,you sold us short.You will be selected after this Worldcup.

2 hours ago, KingsX said:

Seriously, up until a couple of WWCs ago, there were usually four to eight countries playing what I considered to be very good, enjoyable football.  Nowadays, even the likes of Morocco are worth watching and can spring the big upset. 

It’s certainly been a tournament where the big teams don’t automatically win and I like that. I think there’s every possibility that African nations will come to dominate women’s football in the future.

At least it's more competitive than women's hockey 

3 hours ago, KingsX said:

There's always women's hockey :D

12 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

She was not unbalanced,not a step of uncertainty with her other foot or leg.. it was deliberate,worse a lot worse than Beckhams wild outburst with the leg while on floor…The consequence would not of been in her mind,she is one of our top 3 players “who”

can change or make a difference in a game….

This competition by this action,she has forfeited the right to have a place in or near team..

I said earlier Red card match ban is enough..

Other top International teams players have maybe done worse,but this is England we are more consequent, IMO should set a precedence…and she should be made to understand why…Take the money & plaudits,accept such action leads to the opposite.

Understand something I would love to see her somehow get a way with it…Get to the final,score an Hattrick,with under the table headlines, she shouldn’t have been there…wouldn’t give a wobbled seamed, fcuk…

But manager should tell her you went to far on my shift,and in other player major moments. You can’t now be the headlines,go back to family,go on holiday, otherwise you will disrupt our preparation and major chance,you sold us short.You will be selected after this Worldcup.

Absolute nonsense. In a moment of frustration she lightly stepped on her opponent, who was completely unhurt. Like Beckham’s flick, it was petulant and provocative but not violent. The Nigerian player said afterwards she was completely unhurt and there were no hard feelings.

Kicking her out of the squad would be a hysterical overreaction to what was moment of petulance from a young player. It would also be completely self-defeating. Of course FIFA may still end her tournament, but if they don’t extend the ban or only extend it by one game, Lauren James could still have a major role to play at some point.

Edited by ClaphamFox

4 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Absolute nonsense. In a moment of frustration she lightly stepped on her opponent, who was completely unhurt. Like Beckham’s flick, it was petulant and provocative but not violent. The Nigerian player said afterwards she was completely unhurt and there were no hard feelings.

Kicking her out of the squad would be a hysterical overreaction to what was moment of petulance from a young player. It would also be completely self-defeating. Of course FIFA may still end her tournament, but if they don’t extend the ban or only extend it by one game, Lauren James could still have a major role to play at some point.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Raj
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Raj said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Laugh all you want. Describing it as a ‘stamp’, as many media reports have, is insane. If it was a stamp it would have hurt, but it clearly didn’t. Ironically one of the most sane responses has come from the ‘victim’ herself. From the BBC:

“Nigeria's Alozie, who was the player James stood on, said: "It was good for us to have her taken out of the game. 

"I was a little bit surprised by her reaction to the tackle. I don't think it was really needed. I'm fine, my butt is fine from her stepping on it.

"I was kind of confused initially. I didn't understand what was going on at first. There's no hard feelings, it's just a game."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Then I stay hysterical and OTT,where do you want to start to clean up the game..

Whether light or heavy is immaterial..she stepped on someone’s back “who was on the floor”

And because a macho opponent said she wasn’t hurt..doesn’t mean she wasn’t…

Jesus try to argue it was only a small step on the back of a defenceless opponent..you was 14k away,the action was deliberate,intended OTT. Same as a two footed tackle,opposition gets a broken leg,or comes out of it OK…Totally irrelevant..

plus I said,I hope James come of lightly,and scores an Hattrick in final….You didn’t back that statement…:rolleyes:

17 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Laugh all you want. Describing it as a ‘stamp’, as many media reports have, is insane. If it was a stamp it would have hurt, but it clearly didn’t. Ironically one of the most sane responses has come from the ‘victim’ herself. From the BBC:

“Nigeria's Alozie, who was the player James stood on, said: "It was good for us to have her taken out of the game. 

"I was a little bit surprised by her reaction to the tackle. I don't think it was really needed. I'm fine, my butt is fine from her stepping on it.

"I was kind of confused initially. I didn't understand what was going on at first. There's no hard feelings, it's just a game."

A stamp isn't dictated by how much the other player was hurt. 

It was a stamp. A light one. But a clear one. 

A sane response indeed, though. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

I agree with you, it wasn't a stamp at all, it was a dick move though, purposefully standing on a player and putting your weight into 6 studs deserves a red.

People calling it a stamp are just wrong though.

The literal definition

"bring down (one's foot) heavily on the ground or on something on the ground."

It's the same as when someone pushes someone in the face, you get the same wronguns trying to claim the player "hit" the other player.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I agree with you, it wasn't a stamp at all, it was a dick move though, purposefully standing on a player and putting your weight into 6 studs deserves a red.

People calling it a stamp are just wrong though.

The literal definition

"bring down (one's foot) heavily on the ground or on something on the ground."

It's the same as when someone pushes someone in the face, you get the same wronguns trying to claim the player "hit" the other player.

The definition you've quoted pretty much matches with what you described. 'putting your weight into 6 studs'. 

Is that not heavily putting her foot into the back of the player? 

7 minutes ago, StanSP said:

The definition you've quoted pretty much matches with what you described. 'putting your weight into 6 studs'. 

Is that not heavily putting her foot into the back of the player? 

I don't know why builders keep hitting stuff with a hammer when they can just put the hammer on the nail and push their weight on it.