Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Women's World Cup 2023 - Australia/New Zealand

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

I agree with you, it wasn't a stamp at all, it was a dick move though, purposefully standing on a player and putting your weight into 6 studs deserves a red.

People calling it a stamp are just wrong though.

The literal definition

"bring down (one's foot) heavily on the ground or on something on the ground."

It's the same as when someone pushes someone in the face, you get the same wronguns trying to claim the player "hit" the other player.

It is a relative definition though. Guess it depends on whether you consider body weight to be "heavily" or not.

2 hours ago, Raj said:

Intent.

end of.

Nobody is disputing the fact that James intended to step on her opponent. But surely you realise there's a difference between intending to step on somebody without any force and intending to stamp on them in order to cause harm? Just as there's a difference between giving somebody a light shove in the chest vs punching them in the face - in both cases there's 'intent', but two very different kinds of intention.

And by the way, 'end of' is a thought-terminating cliché that only serves to reveal the user's complete lack of confidence in their own argument. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

Laugh all you want. Describing it as a ‘stamp’, as many media reports have, is insane. If it was a stamp it would have hurt, but it clearly didn’t. Ironically one of the most sane responses has come from the ‘victim’ herself. From the BBC:

“Nigeria's Alozie, who was the player James stood on, said: "It was good for us to have her taken out of the game. 

"I was a little bit surprised by her reaction to the tackle. I don't think it was really needed. I'm fine, my butt is fine from her stepping on it.

"I was kind of confused initially. I didn't understand what was going on at first. There's no hard feelings, it's just a game."

3 hours ago, filbertway said:

I agree with you, it wasn't a stamp at all, it was a dick move though, purposefully standing on a player and putting your weight into 6 studs deserves a red.

People calling it a stamp are just wrong though.

The literal definition

"bring down (one's foot) heavily on the ground or on something on the ground."

It's the same as when someone pushes someone in the face, you get the same wronguns trying to claim the player "hit" the other player.

Not to split hairs, but while it wasn’t a STOMP, it was still definitely a stamp.

41 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Nobody is disputing the fact that James intended to step on her opponent. But surely you realise there's a difference between intending to step on somebody without any force and intending to stamp on them in order to cause harm? Just as there's a difference between giving somebody a light shove in the chest vs punching them in the face - in both cases there's 'intent', but two very different kinds of intention.

And by the way, 'end of' is a thought-terminating cliché that only serves to reveal the user's complete lack of confidence in their own argument. 

End.

Of

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, StanSP said:

A stamp isn't dictated by how much the other player was hurt. 

It was a stamp. A light one. But a clear one. 

A sane response indeed, though. 

Level-headed response. She seems a class act, in and out of the field.

Edited by NaijaFox

Just got in from the Colombia vs Jamaica game, a hell of a lot of fun. Colombia do lack a touch of quality in the final third but they’re tough as nails. Won’t be easy.

17 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

Now i cant decide who i want to play France or Morroco?.... big name Vs amazing passion

edit... nah.. cmon Morrocco :)

I think you jinxed them!

22 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Harsh, but it's exactly what i expected. At least it gives her a faint hope of playing again in the tournament - however, I'm not overconfident about England sticking around long enough for that to happen...

Edited by ClaphamFox

On 07/08/2023 at 18:32, Bert said:

Well done to the rest of the team for bailing James out. I’ve seen so many people trying to defend her. But for me, you can’t defend that. Obviously very intentional and tried to get it away with it. I’ve just seen Fara Williams claim it’s not a stamp? It’s quite clearly a stamp. 

More a mild press, but she was c certainly looking to get a dig in. We forget, in our admiration for their footballing skills, that aggression and competitiveness is part of their componentry and that kind of behaviour takes discipline to keep under control. In one moment of indulging herself she's damaged her rep. and England's chances.

3 hours ago, Super_horns said:

Shame it was on at such an early kick-off European time.

Would have affected rating badly for a game between 2 of the best teams in the world. 

Spain have bounced back well from that Japan game. 

Same as the Netherlands Ro16 game, because the US were arrogant enough to think they'd walk the group and through the knockouts, so negotiated those games to be prime time slots for US TV

• Like 1

Another sold out match...huge success this has been.

also...
It has been reported that Kelly struck the ball harder than any goal scored at the FIFA Women's World Cup so far and that it was actually harder (more powerful?) than any goal scored during the 2022/23 season of the English Premier League.

https://www.newsweek.com/mwas-womens-world-cup-penalty-powerful-epl-goal-1818555

1 minute ago, ozleicester said:

Another sold out match...huge success this has been.

also...
It has been reported that Kelly struck the ball harder than any goal scored at the FIFA Women's World Cup so far and that it was actually harder (more powerful?) than any goal scored during the 2022/23 season of the English Premier League.

https://www.newsweek.com/mwas-womens-world-cup-penalty-powerful-epl-goal-1818555

she must have a foot like a traction engine!

• Haha 2