Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Women's World Cup 2023 - Australia/New Zealand

12 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

If you give the funding and opportunities, I think such a thing happens often. I'm glad that it is.

On a similar note, I really hope this properly kickstarts a groundswell of interest in women's football in England, it's been looked down upon ever since the FA shunted it into the shadows and told the women to get back in the kitchen post-WWI. Long past time that was no longer the case.

Think they have to win on Sunday for her to eclipse Ramsey, but if they do, it would be difficult to argue against.

Wiegiball...

23 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

You end up sounding unintentionally condescending when saying it, but the standard of women's football has improved so much in recent years. The difference in standard now compared to the 2015 world cup is remarkable. 

I think it's the concentration of excellent players at club level in England, France and Spain. They've upped their game in the last four years or so no end. There's also an aggression that wasn't there before. I don't wish to see an emulation of the men's game - with its petulance and constant haranguing of the officials so I hope it remains distinct in style. But it's very difficult now to distinguish a difference in how technically good the two games are.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

If you give the funding and opportunities, I think such a thing happens often. I'm glad that it is.

On a similar note, I really hope this properly kickstarts a groundswell of interest in women's football in England, it's been looked down upon ever since the FA shunted it into the shadows and told the women to get back in the kitchen post-WWI. Long past time that was no longer the case.

Think they have to win on Sunday for her to eclipse Ramsey, but if they do, it would be difficult to argue against.

Maybe but Ramsey never lead England to two finals back to back.

The Sydney Morning Herald makes for some good reading:

The cold, hard truth is the Lionesses were the better side. Stronger on the ball and in the tackle, they had a plan and executed it to perfection. Sarina Wiegman picked apart Tony Gustavsson’s blueprint - and while Kerr helped spark something resembling an answer, her teammates had nothing left to give.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

The Sydney Morning Herald makes for some good reading:

The cold, hard truth is the Lionesses were the better side. Stronger on the ball and in the tackle, they had a plan and executed it to perfection. Sarina Wiegman picked apart Tony Gustavsson’s blueprint - and while Kerr helped spark something resembling an answer, her teammates had nothing left to give.

I will say something for the Aussie sport press. When a side of theirs has simply been outplayed, most of the time they'll say so directly, no excuses. They did the same after the Rugby World Cup win in 2003.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Was actually a pretty good game, quite enjoyed watching it.

Some woeful defending from Aus for a few of the goals mixed with some quality finishing. 

I see they're having a game down the king power in October, hopefully that'll sell well

I think if England win the world cup this well sell out within hours. I remember when i bought tickets for the Luxembourg qualifier which was soon after the euros. I read prior to the final last they said 9k tickets in the morning for stoke by 10pm of that euros final day they sold out. So they sold 15k tickets within 7 hours.

3 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

I think if England win the world cup this well sell out within hours. I remember when i bought tickets for the Luxembourg qualifier which was soon after the euros. I read prior to the final last they said 9k tickets in the morning for stoke by 10pm of that euros final day they sold out. So they sold 15k tickets within 7 hours.

It's already sold out (bar hospitality which hasn't gone on sale yet) looking at it England v Belgium (wembleystadium.com)...tbf only about 6,000 tickets made it to general sale

Edited by LCFCJoe96

5 hours ago, leicsmac said:

I will say something for the Aussie sport press. When a side of theirs has simply been outplayed, most of the time they'll say so directly, no excuses. They did the same after the Rugby World Cup win in 2003.

To be honest,it’s only the UK media…Journos  that have that continual biting,cynical press…Sun,Mail,Star..& British poor pundits.

We / Sorry THEY don’t know when banter,humerous boughting, stops,and sportsmanship steps in, and steps up…

Botham,Gower,Bumble ,Lee , Warnie before the camera were hilarious, but on the days end,or match end would be talking & exchanung experiences ,tips,advice with old,or up & coming  opposition players.Rife through other sports too…

The Mainstream media like little playground kids,just don’t know when to let it go…Hence the pathetic negative punditry through football and onto forums….critic,opinions ,views on players or team on gameday,even 24hrs  later…Then the Line appears and is drawn…Not insesent,insistent grinding out the same crap,then repeating it…Where has that higher education left his past wry,sarcastic wit,that was ready excused when the stage was set  for the excellent accolades and fair sportsmanship..

9 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

You end up sounding unintentionally condescending when saying it, but the standard of women's football has improved so much in recent years. The difference in standard now compared to the 2015 world cup is remarkable. 

It’s like night and day. Apart from the playing standard increasing so much the coaching is so much better. The weaker teams had game plans to stifle the stronger sides and use their own strengths to great effect. Plus a lot of the naivety of these teams has gone and they produced professional performances. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

Maybe but Ramsey never lead England to two finals back to back.

Ramsey had one huge obstacle in his way - the best Brazil team there's ever been and, hence, the best footballing side there's ever been.

Given that, they only lost by one goal in their group game against Brazil - Italy lost by four goals in the final. I honestly believe that no team could have beaten that edition of Brazil - Pele, Tostão, Rivelino, Gerson, Jairzinho, Clodoaldo and Carlos Alberto were all supremely talented footballers.

Sometimes the footballing fates are too strong to fight against. If Wiegman pulls this off, then she deserves a nation's thanks and all the kudos that will be bestowed on her. But 1970 was played at another level - possibly, probably even, the best footballing tournament ever.

5 hours ago, LCFCJoe96 said:

I can’t be arsed to go through the whole thing because you’re obviously a pillock looking for a reaction but no they didn’t “beat the soon to be replaced best team in the world” a mix of current & former Wrexham players beat a team of retired ex US players (+ a random goalkeeper whose 5th choice at some team in the states) in a 7 a-side match 😂…but that’s not as headline grabbing as “women bad football, man laugh now”

I think the Chloe Kelly penalty has really given the stone-agers who feel the need to maintain a very fragile male superiority pov a lot to ponder. There are questions about the context of the claim that it is the fastest struck goal of the English season but, that a woman can strike a ball that hard, is proof that the gap is not as wide as is generally believed and that the huge psychological barrier women's potential has struggled against is being breached.

It's often about questioning the propaganda one has been fed since childhood by those who have something to gain from suppressing ones potential.

• Like 1

The womens game is coming on very fast and that is great to see.  One of the things against it years ago was the lack of atmosphere, and wow the crowd were up for it yesterday!

Technically much improved too, and while still some way to go the games I have seen the past week or so have been fun to watch.

I still really wish the BC would have a separate section for womens football though - it drove me nuts when looking for City news last year, and now during the Womens WC I have to filter through lots of dull transfer rumours to find anything!  Painful!

• Like 1

Really looking forward to the final, the build up will be great and hoping to head to a pub to watch it, too. I really enjoy national events that bring people together. Those who choose to isolate themselves to it are, of course, more than welcome to.

They have been a great tournament team. Not overly impressive every game but getting the job done. That's all you need to do to win a world cup sometimes. Let's see if they can finish it off.

I do have an issue with the seeming need to compare two things which to me are entirely different. England Women and the Women's game are very different entities to the men's game and should be treated as such. I genuinely don't see the benefit or need to lump both into one big "all time England goalscorer list" for example.

The game is coming on leaps and bounds on its own accord. It's had a push but it is storming to prominence on its own merit, thanks to the national team. I was looking at how we've performed at last world cups on wiki and saw that in 1995 we were playing in front of 700 people for matches. The progression is astounding.

Think where it'll be in ten years time. I really hope it can stand on its own two feet financially, too. The only real shame about the women's game was how some of the big teams have essentially coopted it by pumping it with money. I'd have loved to have seen it structured a lot more equally, but if nothing else their setups will just improve standards.

I can't even imagine what this will do for the game if we win, really hoping for at least the same number watching on TV as the Euro final. Attendance figures will continue to rise.

Bring on the final and the beers.

• Like 3

I'll be honest, I'm surprised it's taken this long for the discussion to move this way - I'd expected it earlier. Like when Murray made Wimbledon finals, and with about the same amount of prejudice.

That being said, as per earlier, I'm interested, not derisory, in such viewpoints because I want to understand them, especially as such viewpoints are the reason the women's game was thrown into the gutter by the FA a century ago and hasn't really caught the public consciousness since.

Comparing the two achievements if England win it is a bit like comparing achievements in different eras in sport, or who is a bigger club depending on what aspect, such as recent success or fanbase or historic trophies, is more important to suit your own narrative.

Better way of enjoying it is just to watch it as it is and not get sucked into the acheivement comparison the media love dragging the public into for engagement.

Changed my plans and costly travel arrangements to make sure I could watch it, looking forward to it.

Edited by Nalis
  • Like 3