Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Women's World Cup 2023 - Australia/New Zealand

15 minutes ago, Blarmy said:

Was in Rhodes for the quarter final and decided to watch it at the pool bar. Was great to see a lot of other people there watching it, and watching it with passion (lots of “go ons”, shouting, cheering etc).  And not just kids and women.

It felt very much like watching a mens game; I hope the traction continues as I can’t see a single downside to the women’s game developing. Just means more football to watch! Refreshing to see far higher levels of sportsmanship as well. 

What I don’t want is stupid comparisons to the men’s game and ambiguous headlines.  Women’s football is its own thing with its own records, history etc. Just like every other sport.

So suddenly kids and women presence devalues the watching.

Have you ever stood by a group of women & kids…censoring well out of the window

look at, what you wrote yourself your last sentence…but do you still prefer,neither at a real man’s game…

A few wrong words the vibes are different..

17 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

So suddenly kids and women presence devalues the watching.

Have you ever stood by a group of women & kids…censoring well out of the window

look at, what you wrote yourself your last sentence…but do you still prefer,neither at a real man’s game…

A few wrong words the vibes are different..

Not sure I fully understand but:

I didn’t mean kids and women’s presence devalued the situation, I meant that there were men also enjoying the match. Which is good.

I don’t want comparisons because they are, in my opinion, pointless. A battle of the sexes seems destructive and will not promote the women’s game in the right way.

I don’t want ambiguous headlines because I hate clickbait in all forms. I see the attempted manipulation and find it unbearable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stripeyfox said:

Another bonus to embracing the women's game alongside the mens is tournament football EVERY summer. No more fallow years!

Mens Euro 2024

Womens Euro 2025

Mens WC 2026

Womens WC 2027 

etc etc

Great point actually

I've enjoyed this world cup tbh. 

And I'll wave my lil England flag whenever we have a team/person competing at anything. No idea why anyone would ever want us to lose at anything. Seems weird as hell. 

Success breeds success. If the lionesses manage to win it, maybe the lions will try harder. :D

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

I've kind of been pleasantly surprised by how many boozers are saying they're going to open early for this. They've obviously got faith people will turn out.

To be fair kickoff is at 11 when most pubs open anyway, hardly a 7am job. Still good though.

1 hour ago, Blarmy said:

Not sure I fully understand but:

I didn’t mean kids and women’s presence devalued the situation, I meant that there were men also enjoying the match. Which is good.

I don’t want comparisons because they are, in my opinion, pointless. A battle of the sexes seems destructive and will not promote the women’s game in the right way.

I don’t want ambiguous headlines because I hate clickbait in all forms. I see the attempted manipulation and find it unbearable.

Aha..On the same base..

So..fair dues

• Like 1

I’ve been expecting two things in this thread that seemed overdue.

One of them finally showed up:

the misogynistic antics of the oh-so-threatened Tiny **** Brigade   check2.JPG.b42e54a2e14a146ea8c92604223745f9.JPG

But no sign of folks obsessively pointing out another very fortunate England draw in a major tournament.

Haiti (25th in the world going into the WWC) … Denmark (13) … China (14) were a decent if un-threatening group.  But in the knockouts: Nigeria (40th) and Colombia (53rd) ... wow.

Oz were the first top-ten team you faced, and they were 10th.  Spain, 6th in the world going in, are the closest to a top side the Lionesses will have to beat.

That’s a draw even Gareth Southgate would be jealous of.  Of course the Waistcoat would piss away such luck … while Wiegman is a good enough coach (and has good enough players) to get the job done.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, KingsX said:

the misogynistic antics of the oh-so-threatened Tiny **** Brigade   check2.JPG.b42e54a2e14a146ea8c92604223745f9.JPG

But no sign of folks obsessively pointing out another very fortunate England draw in a major tournament.

Haiti (25th in the world going into the WWC) … Denmark (13) … China (14) were a decent if un-threatening group.  But in the knockouts: Nigeria (40th) and Colombia (53rd) ... wow.

Oz were the first top-ten team you faced, and they were 10th.  Spain, 6th in the world going in, are the closest to a top side the Lionesses will have to beat.

That’s a draw even Gareth Southgate would be jealous of.  Of course the Waistcoat would piss away such luck … while Wiegman is a good enough coach (and has good enough players) to get the job done.

I did think this before with the way the draw fell too

It feels like the day of the 2019 Cricket World Cup final for me, it's not as country-stopping as a Mens' FIFA World Cup final would be, but certainly enough eyes will be on it, especially from those who wouldn't normally bother with the game. I'm a bandwagon jumper, yes, but much like listening to LCFC Women stay up last season, I'm really looking forward to the big game feel.

Edited by Mike the Metal Ed

2 hours ago, KingsX said:

I'm sure the thread covered the fortune of how the draw opened up perfectly for England and was a huge opportunity to reach the latter stages tbf (because of the so-called better teams being dog muck and getting knocked out I might add)

2 hours ago, KingsX said:

Things also fell nicely as the top ranked teams in the bottom half (namely Germany and Brazil) completely blew it, which gave a much easier path to the final. 

Also it’s sometimes just how it falls. Looks at France’s route to the last World Cup final, England were the only decent side they played. 

Edited by Lionator
  • Like 1

Started watching Women's football during the Euro 2017 and really enjoy it.  The progress since then is unbelievable really.  From last world cup to this the standard has risen all around the world.  Can see more and more investment and time being poured into the women's game and its really coming on leaps and bounds.  

Its interesting people often state they don't like the comparisons to the men's game.  Ive found most of that comes from people talking down the women's game and telling everyone how they don't watch it. Bizarre.  If you don't watch it why feel the need to tell everyone that.  The game isn't rammed down our throats when you consider the all consuming nature of the media on the men's game.  They certainly do advertise and push it more then they use to but its not excessive at all.

Anyways onto the Lionesses.  They've approached the tournament quite well.  Missed some key players and so have probably been a tad safer in possession and in attack.  The thought process seems to be to control the game as much as possible and put pressure on the other team defensively.  We've definitely got better over the duration of the World Cup.  Reckon we beat the Spanish but I think its going to be a very very close game.  Lauren James coming of the bench to score a last minute winner would be quite the redemption story.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Vlad the Fox said:

What I also like is how much the girls enjoy a win, they are so happy and seem to have so much fun. I should imagine there’s an absolutely fantastic team bond there that only the men could dream of. 

The men have reached semi finals and finals in recent years. The bond is not an issue with that squad any more.

9 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

Really looking forward to the final, the build up will be great and hoping to head to a pub to watch it, too. I really enjoy national events that bring people together. Those who choose to isolate themselves to it are, of course, more than welcome to.

They have been a great tournament team. Not overly impressive every game but getting the job done. That's all you need to do to win a world cup sometimes. Let's see if they can finish it off.

I do have an issue with the seeming need to compare two things which to me are entirely different. England Women and the Women's game are very different entities to the men's game and should be treated as such. I genuinely don't see the benefit or need to lump both into one big "all time England goalscorer list" for example.

The game is coming on leaps and bounds on its own accord. It's had a push but it is storming to prominence on its own merit, thanks to the national team. I was looking at how we've performed at last world cups on wiki and saw that in 1995 we were playing in front of 700 people for matches. The progression is astounding.

Think where it'll be in ten years time. I really hope it can stand on its own two feet financially, too. The only real shame about the women's game was how some of the big teams have essentially coopted it by pumping it with money. I'd have loved to have seen it structured a lot more equally, but if nothing else their setups will just improve standards.

I can't even imagine what this will do for the game if we win, really hoping for at least the same number watching on TV as the Euro final. Attendance figures will continue to rise.

Bring on the final and the beers.

I agree about it standing on its own financially but I don't see how it happens without raising prices of tickets etc which is a good differential currently from the men's game.