Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Women's World Cup 2023 - Australia/New Zealand

On 16/08/2023 at 13:23, leicsmac said:

On a similar note, I really hope this properly kickstarts a groundswell of interest in women's football in England

Likewise. But equally, hopefully not just in England. Also in Australia, Spain, Sweden, Nigeria, Colombia, New Zealand...

And indeed everywhere people might have been watching.

2 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/fa-considering-wiegman-southgate-replacement-30727134

As much as id love to see this, i dont think the fa would dare nick the female manager for mens team.

I think we have more of chance of Emma Hayes becoming England mens manager.

Would be good to see a woman manage a men’s team but not the England job, she has zero experience in managing at a high level or any level for that matter in the men’s game. So gaining experience in the men’s game before taking on such a job is vital. 

14 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Seems Spain have done very well to get to the final despite a lot of in house fighting and lack of trust between the squad and manager.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66470730

On pure talent nobody comes close to what Spain have produced the last 5 years ish

Competent manager and a complete squad and they win the Euros last summer (were already a tough opponent without Alexia and with the infighting issues in the knockouts then) and probably walk the World Cup this summer, fact they’ve got this far without arguably the best defender in the World in Mapi Leon and a bunch of other world class players is nuts

• Like 1

Infantino needs binning off. His latest quotes are just weird and bizarre. When the women's game should be celebrated on the eve of its biggest game in decades, he's come out with some proper bullshit. Comes across as trying to be some kind of hero or beacon of what women can achieve but instead just being an absolute knob. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StanSP said:

Infantino needs binning off. His latest quotes are just weird and bizarre. When the women's game should be celebrated on the eve of its biggest game in decades, he's come out with some proper bullshit. Comes across as trying to be some kind of hero or beacon of what women can achieve but instead just being an absolute knob. 

He'll never go and I guarantee he works to end term limits before his time expires in 2027 (I think it's 2027 anyway).

He's just another cult, like Blatter, loving the fact that giving football's biggest tournaments to despots and oil rich states means he becomes a pally pal to them, gets lots of perks and treated like a king.

FIFA at the top hasn't been fit for purpose since Havelange cheated his way into power in 1974. But it'll never change. Once Infantino goes aged 94 or whatever he'll be replaced by another useless person who lets power go to his head and works to look after himself and his organisation rather than actually looking after football.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corky said:

There is no physical reason why Wiegman couldn't manage the men's side but I just cannot see it happening. Anyway, who is to say she would want the job?

John Herdman did the switch here from managing our women's national team to the men's team. Of course that's not exactly the same thing, but there was a lot of people here concerned with the move at the time.

13 minutes ago, spacemunky said:
17 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

Anyone think Wiegman will leave for the USA job after the final?

Who'd wanna manage that lot? lol

Someone who's won everything they can win in their current job, fancies a change, and likes the sound of being paid enormous amounts of money to rebuild a squad that has loads of good players available?

No idea whether she'd fancy it or not, but it's hardly a ridiculous idea.

2 hours ago, Corky said:

There is no physical reason why Wiegman couldn't manage the men's side but I just cannot see it happening. Anyway, who is to say she would want the job?

I think Wiegman would turn down the job if honest, you have to remember she hasn't been in the job that long despite having so much success. Less than two years.

1 hour ago, Sparrowhawk said:

Someone who's won everything they can win in their current job, fancies a change, and likes the sound of being paid enormous amounts of money to rebuild a squad that has loads of good players available?

No idea whether she'd fancy it or not, but it's hardly a ridiculous idea.

I was more referring to all the political stuff that's been ongoing with the US women's squad. 

Certainly it would offer a challenge and yes, there's always a plethora of good upcoming US players on the women's side.

• Like 1