Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxile5

Tielemans to Villa

Youri would have decided to let his contract run down in 21/22 expecting to leave in the summer of 2022, seemingly no moves materialised so he flew too close to the sun. Instead he's had two seasons of crap performances and the reward for that is an upper midtable Villa side and an ECL spot.

With the volume of games he's played combined with his spina bifida athleticism I can see him declining very, very sharply. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

He was convinced of the "project" here. At his age he doesn't need a project he needs the finished article. He's signing a contract that'll take him through his prime, he was supposed to build his reputation here and then move to one of Europe's big clubs.

To be honest, I'm genuinely a little surprised that still hasn't happened. The perception of him on this forum is wildly bollocks compared to the reality, he's definitely got the ability to play consistently for a Champions League side. 

But is it really though ? Youri is meant to be world class - but he has never performed consistently. We have had consistent CL performers in our team before, Mahrez and Kante (and Vardy). If we swapped Mahrez for Youri - we dont go down. If we swap Kante for Youri, we dont go down. If we swap every version of PL JV apart from last season with Youri, we dont go down. Youri is a good technical player but in some parts well over rated. He has flashes of brilliance but consistency is why his last two teams have been Monaco and Leicester and Not Real Madrid and Man City. Remember this is the guy who Vincent Kompany dragged across to Pep Guardiola and to tell Pep how great he is, Pep hasnt given him a sniff. 

Youri is a good player at times. Consistency and fitness are a major concern. Mid-table PL and perhaps a Spurs but he is significantly over rated on this forum by some  and if he ends up at Villa it further supports that view and that the majority of the PL big boys thing the same. 

Shame it has to be them that he moves to (if this goes through) but it's out of our control, really. His ambitions to go to a CL club diminished fairly quickly as the club sank and he still failed to perform to his best to get us out of it.

But ultimately, he'll still gain from it. He'll probably do well in an attacking Villa side, like he did with ours when he first joined and before we went overly cautious and passive and defensive. Emery is also the kind of coach that will get him playing to his best. And he'll be playing in Europe.

His form in the last couple of years has cost him the Champions League club he probably thought he would get.

He would have lost a fair bit of money too as he could have signed a lucrative new contract with us two years ago. 

Its just all a bit funny that he wouldnt sign a contract with us because we were only in the europa league .... so that he can go and join villa in the conference league. 

He found out fast that nobody in europe would pay the wages we were and villa were probably the only ones willing to match it. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Family man, won't have to move house etc

Gets to work with a world class manager

Villa likely to be challenging top 6 again next year.

Sounds like a great move for him.

what i thought too

people are mocking saying its Villa, but they are in europe, a very good manager in charge too, plus he doesnt have to uproot his family either

a decent move for him tbf

1 minute ago, FrankieADZ said:

what i thought too

people are mocking saying its Villa, but they are in europe, a very good manager in charge too, plus he doesnt have to uproot his family either

a decent move for him tbf

I assumed he wanted to play for a champions league side, embarrassing how he’s going to end up at villa or Brighton or something 

1 minute ago, AmarteyAndChill said:

I assumed he wanted to play for a champions league side, embarrassing how he’s going to end up at villa or Brighton or something 

well thats like most players then, lets face it, he could go there he might not

either way i guess its wherever he feels he'll be playing on the reg etc

1 hour ago, AjcW said:

Family man, won't have to move house etc

Gets to work with a world class manager

Villa likely to be challenging top 6 again next year.

Sounds like a great move for him.

Us challenging the top 4 for two season wasn't enough to keep him happy 

As others have said late into this thread, he doesn't have to move his home/family.  Young kids at school etc.

Regarding the football side of matters, Villa are hardly a bad option at the moment.  Good chance they'll be pushing for top 6 next season.

Negative comments is just sour grapes really.  Good move if true and I wish him well.

It’s a good move for him not sure why people are actually bothered? Didn’t sign a new contract with us but he didn’t have to either. His goal won us the fa cup and that’s more than enough in my eyes for him to leave without getting bitchy reactions from fans 

It’s a good move in terms of what options he has. Interested to see how he’d fit in with Villa. Emery likes to press which Youreh can’t do. But he’d have Kamara, McGinn and Buendia happy to do that ala peak BrendanBall here