Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sir Shep

So, Players for the Championship rebuild, who do you want?

On 17/06/2023 at 14:00, Bluearmyfox28 said:

Personally what I would like to see is:

CB - Evans (Extension)

CB - Ronnie Edwards (Permanent £8m)

CDM - Okay Yokuslu (Permanent £5m)

CM - Tom Cairney (Permanent £4m)

CM - Gustavo Hamer (Permanent £10m)

CAM - Ilias Chair (Permanent £10m)

CAM - Oscar Bobb (Loan)

RW - Palmer or Mebude (Loan)

RW - Tahith Chong (Permanent £4m)

LW - Carlos Borges (Permanent £10m)

LW -  Conor Chaplin (Permanent £5m)

ST - Jerry Yates (Permanent £4m)

Total spending £60m

I know it’s probably completely out of reach but would love for us to add some serious competitive depth to the side and balance the squad completely.

Someone's playing career mode.

• Haha 1

On 16/06/2023 at 19:13, emmo1987 said:

Liam Delap has to be worth a shout now Maresca has come in, he scored 24 goals under him at Man City U23 level. Also Cole Palmer scored 13 in 20/21

Delap had 2 loan spells in the Championship last year and didn’t impress. At this stage he seems like a player who relied heavily on physical attributes at youth level, now in the man’s game is found technically lacking 

• Like 2

I still think some don't understand the extent of decline our players have experienced. The best comparison would be the way we dispatched Brentford in the Cup, when they were a top Championship side, to how Blackburn dispatched us, when they were an average Championship side. 

The standard of coaching this summer will arguably be more important than our recruitment, as currently, even if we kept the rest of the squad for next season, I don't see us getting top 2, not even top 6, because our fundamentals as a side are so so poor. We haven't been a decent side for about 3 years, we've been reliant on some individual brilliance, and now we've lost so much of that. We're not going to handle a "Cold tuesday night in Stoke" unless we become something we haven't for years, a team.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jazzy_Jeff said:

Wonder if Bournemouth would consider a loan for David Brooks?

played a bit following his all clear from cancer but probably needs some game time. Always thought he was a cracking player. 

The thought of loaning someone from Bournemouth after they virtually relegated us though :ill:

On 17/06/2023 at 20:05, FrankieADZ said:

one for @Ric Flair  sadly id doubt he come to us

...back in the day, that price would have been a steal!!!

With his talents why would you be looking to offload, unless there was an injury problem or he has lost his mojo.

Tete looked as if he had gone off the boil at his previous club and no doubt Blas has gone the same. Leon Bailey should have been a sensation here aswell as Ziyech for Chelsea and you wonder if the league just does not suit them, or it is much harder work applying yourself in order to compete here.

Edited by sacreblueits442
Spelling error.

10 hours ago, FoxyLeon said:

I still think some don't understand the extent of decline our players have experienced. The best comparison would be the way we dispatched Brentford in the Cup, when they were a top Championship side, to how Blackburn dispatched us, when they were an average Championship side. 

The standard of coaching this summer will arguably be more important than our recruitment, as currently, even if we kept the rest of the squad for next season, I don't see us getting top 2, not even top 6, because our fundamentals as a side are so so poor. We haven't been a decent side for about 3 years, we've been reliant on some individual brilliance, and now we've lost so much of that. We're not going to handle a "Cold tuesday night in Stoke" unless we become something we haven't for years, a team.

Hindsight would be a great thing but at this stage with a new Manager and unknown players coming in then sixth in the League and play offs would be an acheivement.

10 hours ago, FoxyLeon said:

Comparison of two teams in a cup contest doesn't make sense as it's just a one off game, which is why cup upsets happen every season. I don't think losing to Blackurn in the FA Cup shows how far we've dropped. We played 38 league games and finished in the bottom three, that's the biggest indication of our decline.

• Thanks 1

@ACF suggested it, but the more i look in to Alex Robertson from Man City, the more this is the most obvious move of the summer (maybe even more so than Bernabe).

Robertson did well under Maresca in the 2020/21 U23 season, he's progressed and recently made his debut for Australia and his contract is up this summer. I can't find out any news (as of last week) what's happening in that regard. I can see a low fee agreed with them if he indeed wants to move on.

Looks good from the clips I've watched.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

@ACF suggested it, but the more i look in to Alex Robertson from Man City, the more this is the most obvious move of the summer (maybe even more so than Bernabe).

Robertson did well under Maresca in the 2020/21 U23 season, he's progressed and recently made his debut for Australia and his contract is up this summer. I can't find out any news (as of last week) what's happening in that regard. I can see a low fee agreed with them if he indeed wants to move on.

Looks good from the clips I've watched.

Oscar Bobb and Carlos Borges are the two I desperately want.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...back in the day, that price would have been a steal!!!

With his talents why would you be looking to offload, unless there was an injury problem or he has lost his mojo.

Tete looked as if he had gone off the boil at his previous club and no doubt Blas has gone the same. Leon Bailey should have been a sensation here aswell as Ziyech for Chelsea and you wonder if the league just does not suit them, or it is much harder work applying yourself in order to compete here.

Last year of his contract probably plays a part in it 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

Sadly Rick like with a lot of these very well researched suggestions, we just know Brighton will sign them next week and loan them out. We can all but hope 

Hahaha true, still absolutely baffles me how Sheffield Utd got Anel Ahmedhodzic for about £3m in the Championship. I live in hope.

54 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Hahaha true, still absolutely baffles me how Sheffield Utd got Anel Ahmedhodzic for about £3m in the Championship. I live in hope.

It’s funny as not even statisticians but people on Twitter or football forums seem to find these players like Ahmedhodzic or a more recent one like Odin Thiago Holm (who’s going to Celtic), we determine they’ll cost £2-3m but we can all see after their next move going to a club in the limelight they’ll be £15m players at least. I don’t get why we as a club didn’t cast our net wide like Brighton I really don’t. We’d have more sellable assets or potential players to come in and refresh us in the championship after having seasons on loan elsewhere. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lcfc sheff said:

It’s funny as not even statisticians but people on Twitter or football forums seem to find these players like Ahmedhodzic or a more recent one like Odin Thiago Holm (who’s going to Celtic), we determine they’ll cost £2-3m but we can all see after their next move going to a club in the limelight they’ll be £15m players at least. I don’t get why we as a club didn’t cast our net wide like Brighton I really don’t. We’d have more sellable assets or potential players to come in and refresh us in the championship after having seasons on loan elsewhere. 

Is Holm going there? FFS

It was the same with Oscar Gloukh last season, you just know he moves on from Salzburg in the next 18 months for £25m or more.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Is Holm going there? FFS

It was the same with Oscar Gloukh last season, you just know he moves on from Salzburg in the next 18 months for £25m or more.

Seen us linked with Adedire Mebude from Man City do you know much about him?

6 minutes ago, Ryy said:

Seen us linked with Adedire Mebude from Man City do you know much about him?

He had a very good season last year, what's interesting is Man City U21's don't play with inverted wingers. Borges is a left footed LW and Mebude a right footed RW. Oscar Bobb is the left footed player who has the free role and plays across all 3 areas.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lcfc sheff said:

What's even worse is that just like Brighton, we have a Belgian club we can use to get around EU complications. Brighton brought Caceido, loaned him to Union-SG and then brought him back when he's ready. We are doing that with Opoku, but there are a lot of players we could and should be doing it with. If we spent 10M a season doing this, I bet we'd see far superior results to signings like Daka and Soumare.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Sebastian Nanasi

Good shout Ric 👍🏻

One of the best talents in Sweden right now.

Like Burnley last season, we need to sign players like this who will probably cost £5 mill or less.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

What's even worse is that just like Brighton, we have a Belgian club we can use to get around EU complications. Brighton brought Caceido, loaned him to Union-SG and then brought him back when he's ready. We are doing that with Opoku, but there are a lot of players we could and should be doing it with. If we spent 10M a season doing this, I bet we'd see far superior results to signings like Daka and Soumare.

I’ve got a good feeling we’re going to be doing this going forwards, Leuven have just signed a very promising Dutch u18 player and like you say with Opuku there seems to have been at least some attempt of thinking about the future. Agree completely with you about Daka and Soumare. We can find far better players to develop at Leuven or other teams on loan but just need to pluck them early enough. Say £3-£5m bracket kind of finds 

On 18/06/2023 at 17:04, Jazzy_Jeff said:

Wonder if Bournemouth would consider a loan for David Brooks?

played a bit following his all clear from cancer but probably needs some game time. Always thought he was a cracking player. 

It's a yes from me. I don't care if he's shit.