Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sir Shep

So, Players for the Championship rebuild, who do you want?

7 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

this 50% sell on clause makes it interesting, basically works in Aberdeens favour like you say as they'll if for example Duk is worth £3-5m in this market you basically have to double it which you'd be reluctant to do for a player from the Scottish league who isn't playing for Celtic / Rangers. I personally wouldn't want him for more than £5m and that's expensive so would be looking more at £2-3m with add ons personally. 

good for them if they want him to stay. a decent campaign in Europe and he'll be worth even more.

who is Aberdeens scout that's what we actually need.

We’ve no chance of getting him for £2-3m plus add ons. They got £2m plus add ons for Ross McCrorie to go to Bristol City. They’ll want well over double that for Duk. Outside of Kyogo Furuhashi I’d say he’s the most influential attacking player for his side in the league.

If they tank in Europe and Duk has been meh, then maybe they’ll cash in in January but I think he’ll kick on again. It’s a great shout from you,  he’s some athlete and produces special moments. 

To answer your question on the scout - Darren Mowbray (brother of Tony Mowbray I believe) was Head of Recruitment and built a more global scouting network which has been successful and is a refreshing change from the Scottish football and league one free agent bargain bin. He’s headed to Southampton though to replace Martyn Glover so interesting to see how that holds up without him. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dhermon said:

Any takers for Ben Brereton Díaz on a FREE could play LW be a handy replacment for Barnes 

He would be a great addition but I'm sure he's had the Spain move lined up since January. 

2 hours ago, lcfc sheff said:

not being linked with any wingers is a bit odd

We've barely been linked with any attacking midfielders either. I wouldn't worry yet. Even if we were to do away with wingers and play 3 at the back, Maresca will need at least two versatile attacking midfielders, possibly even 3 so I'm not concerned yet.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lcfc sheff said:

not being linked with any wingers is a bit odd

Looks like a definite strategy to get the spine of the team sorted. I imagine we are a goalkeeper away from that being done (Maresca obviously isn't having Iversen by amount/style of keepers we've been linked with).

Once that's done I'd expect 4 or 5 wingers/attacking midfielders in

• Like 1

Just now, LVFox said:

Looks like a definite strategy to get the spine of the team sorted. I imagine we are a goalkeeper away from that being done (Maresca obviously isn't having Iversen by amount/style of keepers we've been linked with).

Yeah I hope it’s just a matter of getting a goalie in and then it’s dealing with the sales and acquisitions of attacking players. There’s a lot to be sorted there

14 minutes ago, LVFox said:

I also think 2 of the players will come from Man City (Borges/Bobb) and possibly 1 from Chelsea so we might be having to wait to get that agreed anyway.

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I also think 2 of the players will come from Man City (Borges/Bobb) and possibly 1 from Chelsea so we might be having to wait to get that agreed anyway.

If that one from Chelsea is Casadei then I'm buzzing with that.

There's also a few conversations to have with current players about where their futures lie. 

If we are to play a back 3, I'm a little concerned about our lack of pace there. My only hope would be that Justin perhaps becomes the 3rd CB.

We don't seem to have much creativity left in central midfield now Maddison and Tielemans have gone. Winks doesn't provide that creativity, as much as I think he will suit Maresca's apparent system.

7 minutes ago, CloudFox said:

If we are to play a back 3, I'm a little concerned about our lack of pace there. My only hope would be that Justin perhaps becomes the 3rd CB.

We don't seem to have much creativity left in central midfield now Maddison and Tielemans have gone. Winks doesn't provide that creativity, as much as I think he will suit Maresca's apparent system.

I agree that we need to add some pace to Coady and Souttar if we play with a 3.

I read Maresca likes to press high-up so we will need the safety off someone with a bit of pace. JJ maybe could perform that role or we need to bring 1 more in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

We've barely been linked with any attacking midfielders either. I wouldn't worry yet. Even if we were to do away with wingers and play 3 at the back, Maresca will need at least two versatile attacking midfielders, possibly even 3 so I'm not concerned yet.

We’ll get the attacking mids, and wingers on loan from the prem

1 hour ago, JimmyC74 said:

I agree that we need to add some pace to Coady and Souttar if we play with a 3.

I read Maresca likes to press high-up so we will need the safety off someone with a bit of pace. JJ maybe could perform that role or we need to bring 1 more in.

Someone tweeted last month that we had scouted Edvin Kurtulus of Hammarby, whether true or not who knows, but he is a type of player that would suit us. Plays as a RCB but can cover as a RB if necessary, he is also one of the best ball playing defenders in Sweden. Would offer good competition for Souttar & Justin if we do go for a back three.

Personally I also think we need a new LCB, Faes can leave and get someone new in. 

26 minutes ago, kingfox said:

Someone tweeted last month that we had scouted Edvin Kurtulus of Hammarby, whether true or not who knows, but he is a type of player that would suit us. Plays as a RCB but can cover as a RB if necessary, he is also one of the best ball playing defenders in Sweden. Would offer good competition for Souttar & Justin if we do go for a back three.

Personally I also think we need a new LCB, Faes can leave and get someone new in. 

If we are going 3 at the back then we have to get a left footed CB in, or maybe Zach Awe is who we're considering as he apparently is both footed and plays anywhere across defence.

Hopefully the keeper situation is sorted early in the week with Maresca either bringing in Steffen/Trafford or publicly backing Iversen.

Then he can look at bringing in at least 3 attacking players, another cb, maybe 2 if we can move on faes, and a centre forward.

Wouldn't mind us getting in a proper bullish dm too and get rid of ndidi n soumare. 

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

If we are going 3 at the back then we have to get a left footed CB in, or maybe Zach Awe is who we're considering as he apparently is both footed and plays anywhere across defence.

A few LCB’s that I’ve been looking at that tick the ball playing element. 

Siebe Van Der Heyden - Union SG

Valdemar Lund Jensen - Copenhagen

Konstantinos Koulierakis - PAOK 

Gil Cohen - Ashdod 

Out of those if we can get him for under £10 million, Koulierakis is the guy for me, a bit raw but so much potential. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingfox said:

A few LCB’s that I’ve been looking at that tick the ball playing element. 

Siebe Van Der Heyden - Union SG

Valdemar Lund Jensen - Copenhagen

Konstantinos Koulierakis - PAOK 

Gil Cohen - Ashdod 

Out of those if we can get him for under £10 million, Koulierakis is the guy for me, a bit raw but so much potential. 

Jacob Greaves would be my pick

4 hours ago, CloudFox said:

Can see him dropping JJ into the back three on the right similar to how Pep sometimes deploys Walker. Would give us the pace we need to mop up. Only question then is who gets the nod out of Souttar and Faes. Souttar would be my preferred option as he can actually defend, however he's not the quickest of cats so Faes might be a contender. The other option might be to put Souttar in the Stones role and bring Kristiansen in on the left side. Would give us the option out of possession for Souttar to drop into the back 4 and Kristiansen to push out wide. 

• Like 1

Just now, ian__marshall said:

Can see him dropping JJ into the back three on the right similar to how Pep sometimes deploys Walker. Would give us the pace we need to mop up. Only question then is who gets the nod out of Souttar and Faes. Souttar would be my preferred option as he can actually defend, however he's not the quickest of cats so Faes might be a contender. The other option might be to put Souttar in the Stones role and bring Kristiansen in on the left side. Would give us the option out of possession for Souttar to drop into the back 4 and Kristiansen to push out wide. 

Souttar is far quicker than Faes. It's actually astonishing how slow he is. Souttar covers the ground quickly once he gets going.

Just now, Ric Flair said:

Souttar is far quicker than Faes. It's actually astonishing how slow he is. Souttar covers the ground quickly once he gets going.

Yeah I've noticed that he does cover the ground well on occasions and agree he is quite deceptive. The only thing I think Faes has on him is his ability to turn. I think Souttar isn't the most agile which could potentially go against him. For the record I hope we find a way of keeping Faes out of the side, to be quite frank I think he's useless as a defender.

Actually come to think of it, I wonder if he could play the Stones role 🤔. He's not bad on the ball, can pass, but just doesn't have the awareness/positional intelligence to play CB. 

10 minutes ago, ian__marshall said:

Yeah I've noticed that he does cover the ground well on occasions and agree he is quite deceptive. The only thing I think Faes has on him is his ability to turn. I think Souttar isn't the most agile which could potentially go against him. For the record I hope we find a way of keeping Faes out of the side, to be quite frank I think he's useless as a defender.

Actually come to think of it, I wonder if he could play the Stones role 🤔. He's not bad on the ball, can pass, but just doesn't have the awareness/positional intelligence to play CB. 

I'd be quite happy to see Faes leave, offers nothing apart from the occasional 60 yard pass. Can't see anyone wanting to buy him, maybe a loan to serie a or ligue 1

• Like 1

On 01/07/2023 at 11:28, LCCFox96 said:

Will take a mega offer (in SPL terms) to get him out of Aberdeen. 

When he was signed from Benfica he did so on a no fee agreement with Benfica holding a 50% sell on clause for his next transfer. Worth it for Aberdeen to get a youth talent of his ability and Duk is a big part of their recent success getting back into European football and scouting on the continent (Miovski, Ramadani too).

But because of their 50% clause situation you’d need to essentially double the valuation so they get what they want. They’ll want a similar fee to Calvin Ramsay’s Liverpool transfer in their pockets so I’d say this has the potential to be an 8-figure fee. 

Could we afford it? Yes. Would Aberdeen lie down and accept it? No. Is the player a big risk? Yes - he’s a talented boy and the most exciting player I’ve seen in an Aberdeen shirt since I started watching them in the mid-2000’s but very mercurial. I’d want to see him for another season replicate his form and then he’s worth that kind of fee.

It’s widely accepted in Aberdeen that a repeat of last season for Duk means he’ll be sold next summer when he has a year left. Aberdeen CEO Alan Burrows basically said he’s going nowhere this summer and the player is happy to commit to the hard won European football project. Currently with their squad on pre-season camp in Portugal. (Family Aberdeen fans if you’re wondering where that came from 😂).

Good knowledge. 👍 

Agree with you, he needs another year to see if he can replicate last season. 

He's not ready to jump into a top of the table championship 1st eleven at the moment. 

With a bit of luck Mowbray"s leaving present will be the Slovennian striker scoring +15 goals alongside Duk and Bojan. 

• Thanks 1