Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sir Shep

So, Players for the Championship rebuild, who do you want?

13 hours ago, Ryy said:

Apparently Enzo was impressed by  Raphael Holzhauser in our match vs OHL purely due to his set peaces ability. Don’t think it will happen but 🤷🏼‍♂️

Christ I read that Leuven thread and they all hate him lol 

Not the best injury record for the last 12-18 months, but could be an option for #10

Wouldnt say I necessarily 'want' him because of that record, but if other deals don't work on maybe he could come in. 

• Like 1

Would be disappointing if, after bring in Maresca and man city u21's coach, we dont bring in 2-3 more players from Man City's youth team.

The talent they have there is absolutely unreal, to the point where it almost feels like having an extensive number of scouts in the Netherlands, Belgium etc is a waste 

Edited by honeybradger

We don't actually know if it's unreal though do we? Most of them haven't played anywhere near the level that their fees are commanding and they're going on the basis they look good against u23 sides or League 1 etc. The premium on potential from Citeh (that ok?) is huge.

Don't get me wrong, I'm quite happy to pluck players from them if there's the opportunity and Marseca is game, but I'm not arsed if we don't. Either their prices are too high for their proven standard or Maresca doesn't think he can use them or they're simply out of our reach.

We got one. Good enough.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

If we don't it'll be because we aren't interested in the £15m fees and buy back clauses they insist on.

I dont think youre going to get better value with eredivisie clubs.

For me 15 mil for players like carlos borges and mebude who are the complete package as young talents seems cheap. They are fast, two footed, technically gifted, can pick a pass, can finish etc. I dont think the eredivisie or belgian leagues have any young talent like this, correct me if im wrong. If they do theyre certainly not going to sell them for 15 mil or less.

Look at Sinisterra for example, he's a good all round player but slow for a winger and he still went to leeds for 20 mil.

44 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

I dont think youre going to get better value with eredivisie clubs.

For me 15 mil for players like carlos borges and mebude who are the complete package as young talents seems cheap. They are fast, two footed, technically gifted, can pick a pass, can finish etc. I dont think the eredivisie or belgian leagues have any young talent like this, correct me if im wrong. If they do theyre certainly not going to sell them for 15 mil or less.

Look at Sinisterra for example, he's a good all round player but slow for a winger and he still went to leeds for 20 mil.

But they aren’t. 

They have zero experience of senior football. They’ve been collecting goals and assists at a level of football which is below League 1/2 standard judging from their performance in the EFL Trophy last season. 

Edited by CosbehFox

Zach Awe (ex Arsenal) and Axel Tuanzebe (ex Man Utd) are both available for free.  Both would be excellent replacements for Vestergaard.  Tuanzebe has experience of Championship promotion while on loan at Villa and Awe is an England youth international.  If we are able to get a few million for Vesty this could make excellent financial sense.  And both are young enough that if either do well for us, we could sell on for a healthy profit.

2 minutes ago, Sussex Fox said:

Zach Awe (ex Arsenal) and Axel Tuanzebe (ex Man Utd) are both available for free.  Both would be excellent replacements for Vestergaard.  Tuanzebe has experience of Championship promotion while on loan at Villa and Awe is an England youth international.  If we are able to get a few million for Vesty this could make excellent financial sense.  And both are young enough that if either do well for us, we could sell on for a healthy profit.

Both of them are good shouts and probably not a risk financially 

11 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

But they aren’t. 

They have zero experience of senior football. They’ve been collecting goals and assists at a level of football which is below League 1/2 standard judging from their performance in the EFL Trophy last season. 

It's one of those situations where within half a season in the championship they go from 10-15 mil players to 25-30 mil players ie. Harwood bellis or mcatee. When the ability is so clear to see, the performances in senior football are almost a forgone conclusion, but once they do start performing in the football leagues it becomes much harder to get them.

3 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

It's one of those situations where within half a season in the championship they go from 10-15 mil players to 25-30 mil players ie. Harwood bellis or mcatee. When the ability is so clear to see, the performances in senior football are almost a forgone conclusion, but once they do start performing in the football leagues it becomes much harder to get them.

But ultimately it’s a gamble for a Championship club for the significant lay out. Even at £15m

Edited by CosbehFox

44 minutes ago, Sussex Fox said:

In the last 5 years, Tuanzebe has been injured something like 650 days and missed over 100 games. 

You just have to look at how Southampton have got on with their Man City purchases. Bazunu, Edozie, Larias all done nothing (not ready) or been shite. And then there's Lavia who has done well. 41million Euros for those 4. It's not a golden ticket.

Edited by JimJams
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, JimJams said:

You just have to look at how Southampton have got on with their Man City purchases. Bazunu, Edozie, Larias all done nothing (not ready) or been shite. And then there's Lavia who has done well. 41million Euros for those 4. It's not a golden ticket.

From a quick look it doesnt seem like edozie and larias were rated highly at u23 level before their moves. Lavia on the other hand was highly rated, which translated into being a good PL level player who could be on his way to Liverpool. 

I dont think it's fair to look at a couple misplaced transfers and write off the actual gems that city have in their academy.

2 hours ago, honeybradger said:

I dont think it's fair to look at a couple misplaced transfers and write off the actual gems that city have in their academy.

That's not what I've done. I've pointed out that a club that took 4 players off of Man City last season has ended up with 1 good player. So the clamour to just hoover up anything that played in sky blue is probably not the best recipe for assumed success. If Man City youngsters were such a sure thing they wouldn't be wasting their time coming to the championship.

25 minutes ago, JimJams said:

That's not what I've done. I've pointed out that a club that took 4 players off of Man City last season has ended up with 1 good player. So the clamour to just hoover up anything that played in sky blue is probably not the best recipe for assumed success. If Man City youngsters were such a sure thing they wouldn't be wasting their time coming to the championship.

Yes, but 2 out of 4 of those players were not highly rated even before their transfers, hence why they were misplaced. Southampton picking the bad apples from man city's youth team and them failing to impress doesnt mean we should avoid the ones that are highly rated.