Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thebluefox85

If Rudkin gives Dean Smith the job permanently!

52 minutes ago, Thebluefox85 said:

I’m surprised that a quite a few fans would take smith maybe im seeing something different but I think he didn’t do alot at all really and as ridiculous as it sound I think Rodgers would of got the same amount of points as smith managed in those games and I wanted Rodgers out for a long time! I do think the club need to take a risk and appoint a manager that’s young and hungry and actually wants to be here and make a name for himself and not the pay packet 

The not wanting Smith thing is on the back of him being manager for 8 games with a pathetic bunch of players who - after bottling it several times over the last 4 years - finally bottled the season. There was very little else he could get from those players but again if Brighton don't roll over for Everton, the points he got keeps us up. Don't get me wrong, I think we need a bright new manager but in a sense this guy has already done a pre-season 8 match workout and knows what's already here. If in the end they stick with him, fine. Deano's Blue & White Army it is. I've seen this shizzle enough times to realise the bloke the fans want will normally turn out to be shite and the guy we're dubious of at first gets us promoted.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

All this about being excited by an appointment. It means nothing. Nigel Pearson was the least exciting appointment ever in League One. 

And in the early nineties, Brian Little did not enthuse the fans with hope. He was the board's fourth choice for the club, and he built a promotion-winning team with pennies.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Verumex said:

heir relationship was the reason Rodgers was afforded more influence around the club than any manager previously, particularly on other appointments. Rudkin had an unwavering commitment to Rodgers’ training methods, message and playing philosophy, which were no longer effective with the same group of players. The alternative, to bring in fresh players, was not feasible.

...it is pretty significant, that Tanner, in all this, absolves Rodgers and only attributes the lack of new ears to take up Rodgers's football philosophy as the failure that has sent us down!!!

Everything he has laid at Rudkin's door, all down to Rudkin being enamoured by Rodgers and giving him far too much leeway and failing to act in time.

Much of this I do not believe in regards to the friendship between Rodgers and Rudkin. It is a convenient spin by Tanner, someone who was missing in action, and as a supposed journalist failed to report the facts and attempts to now rewrite history.

I wonder if it would be possible for the Athletic to take a look at his performance this season as he has not reported the truth, of all that has transpired this season.

42 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...it is pretty significant, that Tanner, in all this, absolves Rodgers and only attributes the lack of new ears to take up Rodgers's football philosophy as the failure that has sent us down!!!

Everything he has laid at Rudkin's door, all down to Rudkin being enamoured by Rodgers and giving him far too much leeway and failing to act in time.

Much of this I do not believe in regards to the friendship between Rodgers and Rudkin. It is a convenient spin by Tanner, someone who was missing in action, and as a supposed journalist failed to report the facts and attempts to now rewrite history.

I wonder if it would be possible for the Athletic to take a look at his performance this season as he has not reported the truth, of all that has transpired this season.

Nah, Tanner has been quite scathing of Rodgers too. That exerpt was only one small part of a much larger piece, and he's been critical of Rodgers in others. 

It took him a while to come around to that way of thinking, but he has eventually. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pete52 said:

Tbf, Leeds haven’t done anything yet either, and although Southampton have got Martin coming in, they haven’t actually got him there yet to start cracking on with making things happen yet. 

Southampton have a relatively ready squad for the championship I'd say, they just need to get the manager and 1 or 2 key signings right. Us and Leeds are more of a shambles

1 hour ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Southampton have a relatively ready squad for the championship I'd say, they just need to get the manager and 1 or 2 key signings right. Us and Leeds are more of a shambles

Not sure I fully agree - I think 5-6 of their best players will still leave and they'll command smaller fees than Maddison and Barnes - they will be left with a very mediocre Championship squad and won't be able to attract the quality that we will.

Plus they're getting David Brent Todger Rodgers 2.0 - I'd rather be a shambles than that. 

Can’t be Smith. He genuinely doesn’t have what it takes to sort this out. He came in for a reason and it didn’t materialise. 

I don’t think it will be anyway. I think we are just taking some time to make sure it’s the right decision. 

• Like 1

Dean Smith lacks the grit needed for The Championship, and the finesse needed for the Prem. 

He’s a very ordinary manager, but a decent bloke. Not very inspiring, or exceptional.

If he gets the job, you’ll see several seasons of mediocrity, until Leicester becomes an established Championship club, and very much a ‘former’ Premier League team.

23 minutes ago, Jamie Vard-on said:

Dean Smith lacks the grit needed for The Championship, and the finesse needed for the Prem. 

He’s a very ordinary manager, but a decent bloke. Not very inspiring, or exceptional.

If he gets the job, you’ll see several seasons of mediocrity, until Leicester becomes an established Championship club, and very much a ‘former’ Premier League team.

Got Brentford to 9th, went to Villa and took them from 18th to play-off winners with a 17 match unbeaten run including 10 wins in a row at the end of the season. Villa then stayed up in the Premier League and got to the League Cup final.

The Premier League stuff is frankly irrelevant anyway. We're not a Premier League club anymore. His job will be to get promotion. People say they want a manager with Championship or EFL experience but then say not Smith, a guy who's spent most of his career there and had a reputation at Walsall and Brentford for playing decent attacking football. I'm happy to entertain any ideas for the new manager but let's not hammer the one we've got because he was handed a bunch of mentally weak, complacent shirkers.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

If he or any of the following get appointed it clearly shows we have no ambition to bounce straight back. Parker, Gerrard, Lampard. 

Tbf I would rather have Parker than the other 2. He got both Fulham & Bournemouth promoted in his first season at both clubs. 

• Like 1

The only game he really majorly forked up on was Fulham. In Hindsight he may have been best to park the bus in at least the 1st half of away games them go for the counter in the 2nd half, but we didnt really know parking the bus was going to work until Newcastle, we possibly could have parked the bus against the scousers too. That 2 points difference could have been huge, but with  8 games it was always a difficult ask to turn the Titanic with many big holes. In hindsight id have made Rodgers stay, so his reputation was properley damaged! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Tbf I would rather have Parker than the other 2. He got both Fulham & Bournemouth promoted in his first season at both clubs. 

Defo Gerrard and Lampard are living on the player reputations. 

They need to go to the lower leagues and work up, understand the role more, get some experience, work with some different methods in tough conditions. Their egos are too big and the they need a step down. 

Parker can get a side out of this League, thats about it but he can. 

6 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Defo Gerrard and Lampard are living on the player reputations. 

They need to go to the lower leagues and work up, understand the role more, get some experience, work with some different methods in tough conditions. Their egos are too big and the they need a step down. 

You are way too generous imo.  More likely they need to go to the lower leagues and stay there!

We need stability and if we can hopefully get the right players , consolidate in the top half before Christmas. We can then push on and move into the top six , which we have done often before. I think Smith has the overall ability to manage that. If we should get promoted at the first attempt , he should get a chance to keep us up , if its not working then he will have to go. So a one year rolling contract would be the best option.Some of the other suggestions might not accept that.

1 hour ago, Number 6 said:

He could have picked people who had skin in the game.

I can only see maybe Thomas and KDH of the players we had available with skin in the game, wasn't KDH injured? Oh and maybe some u21s but most managers wouldn't do that on an interim basis. His whole approach would of been different if he knew he was a permanent manager, which if he is with a pre season and clearing out the dead wood, I'd be suprised if we didn't make the play offs at least.

Edited by Beachyboy

1 hour ago, Number 6 said:

He could have picked people who had skin in the game.

That's no one then. He had a team of 'contract wind-downers' and 'off to other Permier Leaguers once relegated' to pick from.