Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lambert09

Rank our old championship strikers

Rank the following form best to worst. Not necessarily how they were for us, but their overall ability.  Basically if they were at the ability they had when they signed for Leicester and they cost the same, list the order youd be signing them in. (Ive left out the better ones to keep it interesting) 

Mark Devries

Elvis Hammond

DJ Campbell

Jermaine Beckford

Gary Taylor-Fletcher

Iain Hume 
Yakubu Ayegbeni

Trevor Benjamin 

Martyn Waghorn 

Roman Bednar

Danny Cadamarteri 

Darius Vassell

Barry Hayles

Kermorgant

Edited by Lambert09

Yakubu is significantly better than the rest. 

Waghorn, Taylor-Fletcher and Vassell were also half decent. And Hume at least tried but lacked quality 

The rest were all crap so I’m not going to bother ranking them.

Beckford was probably my least favourite though because he seemed to have a weird cult following of Leicester fans who seemed convinced he was an amazing player if he was given a role where he just had to stand on the 6 yard box and tap it into an empty net. And demanded that we just had to sign 10 PL quality players, build the entire team around him and put it on a plate for him from 6 yards out 10 times a game. One of the most bizarre players ever to convince some of our fans he was secretly amazing despite all the evidence that he was utterly useless.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Waghorn, Taylor-Fletcher and Vassell were also half decent. And Hume at least tried but lacked quality 

Beckford was probably my least favourite though because he seemed to have a weird cult following of Leicester fans who seemed convinced he was an amazing player if he was given a role where he just had to stand on the 6 yard box and tap it into an empty net. And demanded that we just had to sign 10 PL quality players, build the entire team around him and put it on a plate for him from 6 yards out 10 times a game. One of the most bizarre players ever to convince some of our fans he was secretly amazing despite all the evidence that he was utterly useless.

I agree that beckford was absolute pony.... but the irony is that he had a MUCH better goalscoring record for Leicester than the 3 you've highlighted as "half decent" and Hume had the best of the lot (with the exception of the yak) 

Nuge was definitely my favourite, but the OP didn't include him as stated in the post. 

25 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Personally Id sit Hume at the top. I think he might have had a chance to play in the prem at some stage if he hadnt had his head caved in

Edited by Lambert09

I know it's become a parody, but I'm firmly in the "All Yakubu did was score goals" camp.

I genuinely believe we'd have been a better side at the time with someone upfront who scored fewer goals but actually moved outside the width of the penalty area.

That side had some quality but lacked the fundamentals of a cohesive team.

Having said that, he is still the best of those strikers in the list. Albeit Waghorn (first spell) would be up there.

Edited by martyn
  • Like 2

Yakubu Ayegbeni

Gary Taylor-Fletcher

Iain Hume

DJ Campbell

Darius Vassell

Mark Devries

Jermaine Beckford

Trevor Benjamin

Elvis Hammond

Martyn Waghorn 

Barry Hayles

Kermorgant

Roman Bednar

Danny Cadamarteri

Some of them were outright crap and some I can't even rememebr playing for us so they get a even lower ranking 

Beckford although crap gets a slightly higher rank for scoring a hat trick against the red filth 

24 minutes ago, martyn said:

I know it's become a parody, but I'm firmly in the "All Yakubu did was score goals" camp.

I genuinely believe we'd have been a better side at the time with someone upfront who scored fewer goals but actually moved outside the width of the penalty area.

That side had some quality but lacked the fundamentals of a cohesive team.

Having said that, he is still the best of those strikers in the list. Albeit Waghorn (first spell) would be up there.

I dont think its far from the truth though, There was a video from a coventry game where he actively spent 2mins 20 seconds avoiding all play. One of the most bizarre clips ive ever witnessed. He had no intention of doing any work other than scoring...but as long as they are going in, nobody minds. Not a player I wanted us to build around either though