Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lambert09

Rank our old championship strikers

1 minute ago, Gubbins said:

Sorry I know some people consider him a legend for some reason but Steve Howard at championship level bar maybe half a dozen games was as effective and mobile as a postbox. He was crap!

He was there basically just to take the battering that Fryatt would otherwise have got, so he served a purpose of sorts I suppose.

20 hours ago, martyn said:

I know it's become a parody, but I'm firmly in the "All Yakubu did was score goals" camp.

I genuinely believe we'd have been a better side at the time with someone upfront who scored fewer goals but actually moved outside the width of the penalty area.

That side had some quality but lacked the fundamentals of a cohesive team.

Having said that, he is still the best of those strikers in the list. Albeit Waghorn (first spell) would be up there.

Yakubu did score and seemed to do little else for the team. But if you watched him he did certain things and took up certain positions that were brilliant for the attack. He was also the strongest player I have ever seen (Jari Rantanen; mebee?) and could hold off a whole bunch of defenders on his own. Compared to the load of weeds that have just completed the season, he was awesome and could probably win a tug--of-war, on his own, against Rodgers' entire squad!!!

27 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

He was there basically just to take the battering that Fryatt would otherwise have got, so he served a purpose of sorts I suppose.

He never really played much alongside Fryatt in the Championship though. Gubbins is right, Howard was excellent for us in League One, but his performance vs Cardiff papered over that he was very poor for us that season after we got promoted.

Fryatt was basically leading the attack on his own until he got his jaw broken around Christmas, then Waghorn kind of took over. 

Howard was an excellent player for us in League One so I’ll always have time for him but I kind of agree he wasn’t particularly good for us at Championship level 

On 07/06/2023 at 16:13, Sampson said:

Yakubu is significantly better than the rest. 

Waghorn, Taylor-Fletcher and Vassell were also half decent. And Hume at least tried but lacked quality 

The rest were all crap so I’m not going to bother ranking them.

Beckford was probably my least favourite though because he seemed to have a weird cult following of Leicester fans who seemed convinced he was an amazing player if he was given a role where he just had to stand on the 6 yard box and tap it into an empty net. And demanded that we just had to sign 10 PL quality players, build the entire team around him and put it on a plate for him from 6 yards out 10 times a game. One of the most bizarre players ever to convince some of our fans he was secretly amazing despite all the evidence that he was utterly useless.

All he did was score goals m8.

Edit: Just seen this has already been joked about. Even if it hadn’t it’s past funny by now. Sorry everyone. That’s what you get from never reading a thread and just wildly replying. 

Edited by RumbleFox

On 07/06/2023 at 22:49, Lambert09 said:

it was a purposely made sh*t/ obscure list but i’ve been asked so many times that i’m realizing i should have just included everyone. 

The thing is Howard used to get a lot of flak from fans. They were wrong of course, but still there were people who didn't realise what he brought to the team. Would've killed for a Steve Howard type player this season.

9 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

The thing is Howard used to get a lot of flak from fans. They were wrong of course, but still there were people who didn't realise what he brought to the team. Would've killed for a Steve Howard type player this season.

Well if he did get flak at the time it didn't follow through into his retirement. As I put earlier in the thread many now give him legendary status. Statistically he made over 100 appearances at championship level for the grand total of 15 goals. And this was the guy we bought to save us from relegation to league one.

My memories of his playing mainly consist of him waving his arms about and contesting long balls hoofed up to him which usually ended with him heading it on to the opposition or giving away a free kick.

I missed the vast majority of the league one season through being abroad so maybe I'd have a slightly different opinion if I'd seen more of him then but at championship level he was for the most part a complete cart horse. A Howard like player last season would basically have been vestergaard being played up front, and I think we all know that would have made f all difference.

6 hours ago, Gubbins said:

Well if he did get flak at the time it didn't follow through into his retirement. As I put earlier in the thread many now give him legendary status. Statistically he made over 100 appearances at championship level for the grand total of 15 goals. And this was the guy we bought to save us from relegation to league one.

My memories of his playing mainly consist of him waving his arms about and contesting long balls hoofed up to him which usually ended with him heading it on to the opposition or giving away a free kick.

I missed the vast majority of the league one season through being abroad so maybe I'd have a slightly different opinion if I'd seen more of him then but at championship level he was for the most part a complete cart horse. A Howard like player last season would basically have been vestergaard being played up front, and I think we all know that would have made f all difference.

Like I said, many people are wrong.