Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Ex Managers - They used to manage us

2 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

The Pearson great escape was an example of changing formation and style to turn around results for one example. 

But they clearly weren't a poor side because they went on to win the Premier League. 

Are you suggesting that Maresca should have changed formation and/or style to achieve results? Despite winning the league with a near record-breaking season?

2 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

The Pearson great escape was an example of changing formation and style to turn around results for one example. 

You can’t compare Pearson to maresca tbf Pearson was unreal for us. So many strings to his bow. I liked enzo but he was very one dimensional. 

• Like 1

Rodger won the FA cup and twice got us to the brink of Champions league 

in fairness to him his CV is miles better than Enzo’s 

only thing these two have in common is disgraceful levels of self worth and egos that needs a crane to cart around with them 

• Like 3

How he landed that job in the first place is one of life's mystery's.

Feel more sorry for KDH who's career is about to go south, especially in a couple of months when Enzo's sacked and he drops even further down the pecking order.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, adejo92 said:

How he landed that job in the first place is one of life's mystery's.

Feel more sorry for KDH who's career is about to go south, especially in a couple of months when Enzo's sacked and he drops even further down the pecking order.

He’ll end up back here on loan until we sign him for a discount/free.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Unabomber said:

You can’t compare Pearson to maresca tbf Pearson was unreal for us. So many strings to his bow. I liked enzo but he was very one dimensional. 

I wasn't. The previous post asked me to give an example of tactics changing for a poor team and making them successful. 

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

But they clearly weren't a poor side because they went on to win the Premier League. 

Are you suggesting that Maresca should have changed formation and/or style to achieve results? Despite winning the league with a near record-breaking season?

Yes for them last 10 games we absolutely should have had more ideas. I think he alienated too much of the squad too so limited himself massively with who he was picking. 

It was still an unbelievable **** up to nearly not go up. The fact Leeds were typically Leeds shouldn't me we lose sight of how awful we were and how little Maresca had in response to it all. 

Our best performance came when we ditched his style

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

Who branded it risky football? It was all about control of the ball to prevent risks.

The inverted fullbacks give wingers more space because there's no room in the middle of the pitch. Teams have to overload the middle against a team playing the 3-2-4-1 that we played because we essentially had 4 centre midfielders. That's why Mavididi and Fatawu had such productive seasons.

Risk and reward was a term used a lot early on because of the playing from back and wanting to draw players out of their position for the opposition. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

Yes for them last 10 games we absolutely should have had more ideas. I think he alienated too much of the squad too so limited himself massively with who he was picking. 

It was still an unbelievable **** up to nearly not go up. The fact Leeds were typically Leeds shouldn't me we lose sight of how awful we were and how little Maresca had in response to it all. 

Our best performance came when we ditched his style

Leeds had to go on an unprecedented run to get close to us.

Had no idea he was still involved in the game;

Pleat stepping back from Tottenham scouting duties

David Pleat is stepping back from his scouting duties at Tottenham after more than two decades of association with the club.

Spurs chairman Daniel Levy said: “I should like to thank David for his contribution over so many years and in so many ways. 

"He had, and continues to have, an encyclopaedic knowledge of the game and players. I know he will continue to enjoy watching our games at all levels.”

Pleat became the club’s first Director of Football in January 1998 before leaving the role in May 2004.

He then returned once again in 2010 as part of the club’s scouting department.

The 79-year-old said: “Football is my life and continues to be. Spurs has been a huge part of that. However the game and its methods change and it’s time for me to now step back from my scouting role. 

"I look forward to watching the club have great success in the coming years. I hope to continue my association with the game.”

1 hour ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Had no idea he was still involved in the game;

Pleat stepping back from Tottenham scouting duties

David Pleat is stepping back from his scouting duties at Tottenham after more than two decades of association with the club.

Spurs chairman Daniel Levy said: “I should like to thank David for his contribution over so many years and in so many ways. 

"He had, and continues to have, an encyclopaedic knowledge of the game and players. I know he will continue to enjoy watching our games at all levels.”

Pleat became the club’s first Director of Football in January 1998 before leaving the role in May 2004.

He then returned once again in 2010 as part of the club’s scouting department.

The 79-year-old said: “Football is my life and continues to be. Spurs has been a huge part of that. However the game and its methods change and it’s time for me to now step back from my scouting role. 

"I look forward to watching the club have great success in the coming years. I hope to continue my association with the game.”

Pleat out!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Someone is back on his burner account

Love/Hate him... Love/Hate the style... it's mighty impressive that he's got two teams playing the exact way he wants, within a couple of months. Especially given one had just been relegated and the other has 945 players.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/c4g4z2rn4reo

St Johnstone sack manager Levein

St Johnstone have sacked manager Craig Levein just five matches into the new Scottish Premiership campaign.

The former Scotland boss, 59, took the post in November last year and staved off the threat of relegation. The Perth side sit 10th in the table, with one win and four defeats.

Coaches Andy Kirk and Alex Cleland will take charge for the weekend trip to Ross County.

Saints began the season with three wins from four in the Premier Sports Cup, losing out to League One Alloa Athletic.

Saturday's 2-0 defeat away to Hibernian was the team's fourth successive defeat in all competitions.

Levein, co-host of the BBC podcast Sacked in the Morning, has had two spells in charge of Hearts, while he also managed Leicester City and Dundee United.

He was Scotland manager from December 2009 to November 2012, winning 10 of his 24 matches.

American Adam Webb took control of St Johnstone this summer, following almost four decades of Geoff Brown's ownership at McDiarmid Park.

A short statement from the club read: "The board of directors can announce that St Johnstone Football Club has today parted company with manager Craig Levein.

"The football club would like to place on record its thanks to Craig for all of his efforts during his time at McDiarmid Park."

Edited by SouthStandUpperTier
  • Like 1

On 23/08/2024 at 14:26, AjcW said:

Love/Hate him... Love/Hate the style... it's mighty impressive that he's got two teams playing the exact way he wants, within a couple of months. Especially given one had just been relegated and the other has 945 players.

Why's it impressive? If I was telling my Mum how to put a shelf up every single day for a few hours and told her she was getting 100k a week I'm sure the old battleaxe would pick it up. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

Why's it impressive? If I was telling my Mum how to put a shelf up every single day for a few hours and told her she was getting 100k a week I'm sure the old battleaxe would pick it up. 

Can it be impressive in the context of football and historically the amount of managers who have tried and failed to implement a style in years never mind months? Or... do we still need to involve your Mum?

Just now, AjcW said:

Can it be impressive in the context of football and historically the amount of managers who have tried and failed to implement a style in years never mind months? Or... do we still need to involve your Mum?

If he does anything successful with Chelsea I'll be amazed. Like I said before I don't see implementing this style with Manchester City or the squad we had as vindication for it. I will admit it was perfect for the middle part of the season where every team stuck 11 behind the ball (as mind numbingly boring as it was to watch) but anyone who had a decent plan beat us in the end.