Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LCFCJoe96

LCFC Women 2023-24 Season

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/68350442.amp

Defender Sophie Howard has revealed she had retirement thoughts before going on to thrive with Scotland and Women's Super League side Leicester City.

The 30-year-old, who has 44 caps for her country, is in her fourth season at Leicester, who are seventh in the WSL after earning top-flight promotion during Howard's debut campaign.

Howard "feels right" at a club she classes as a "second home" - but the move came after she had doubts about continuing her career following a tough two-year spell at Reading.

"I fell out of love with football," she said on the latest Behind the Goals podcast.

"I was at a point it could've gone either way. I could've finished completely because I didn't enjoy what I was doing.

"I didn't even have my family around to distract me at Reading. I also never managed to set up a life outside of football. It consumed me so much. I had to find a way to fall back in love with the game.

"That's why I signed for Leicester, even though they were in the Championship at the time. It took a couple of years for us to get to the point we're at now. I can see where the club wants to go, it feels right."

• Like 1