Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Other Team Transfers 2023

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

Power of being in contract until 2026.

Yeah it is, we definitely would have played hard ball on Barnes if he had another year left on top. I don't think the price we got was horrendous but when you see them overpay for much like Gordon and Livramento is very injury prone and although a real talent, his achievements to date are minimal.

• Like 1

What's funny about Newcastle is Eddie coming out prior to Barnes signing saying we don't have a bottomless pit & need to be creative with our signings, fast forward 2 weeks & this signing puts them over the £150m mark & i don't think they have finished yet.

18 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Looking forward to people saying Eddie Howe is doing a great job and Newcastle haven't spent much.

This summer takes there spending under him to over the 0.5bn mark.

This. Deserves credit for getting a tune out of Almiron and Joelinton but they’ve spent big. 

32 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Looking forward to people saying Eddie Howe is doing a great job and Newcastle haven't spent much.

This summer takes there spending under him to over the 0.5bn mark.

Eddie Howe has done what many wealthy clubs have struggled to do and that is use their wealth to improve. Whether that continues remains to be seen but its been seen before that spending big money doesn't instantly get massive improvement. I think he's done well but that will get buried as time goes on and the obscene wealth is flexed.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Muzzy_no7 said:

25m for Brightons 2nd goalkeeper?

Does that mean Brighton value Jason Steele at upwards of 30m?!😂

Unreal. 

tbf Sanchez would be classed as their number 3 atm, behind Verbruggen and Steele

strange to think we was linked with him a season or 2 back for like £30mil

34 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Eddie Howe has done what many wealthy clubs have struggled to do and that is use their wealth to improve. Whether that continues remains to be seen but its been seen before that spending big money doesn't instantly get massive improvement. I think he's done well but that will get buried as time goes on and the obscene wealth is flexed.

He's done a good job, but some people seems to think his doing it on a shoe string.

Be interesting to see if he can take them to the next level, if he doesn't win something in the best 12-24 months he will he under pressure.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

He's done a good job, but some people seems to think his doing it on a shoe string.

Be interesting to see if he can take them to the next level, if he doesn't win something in the best 12-24 months he will he under pressure.

I nearly fell in that trap until you actually look at the figures. Scary.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, fox_favourite said:

Blackburn have sold their keeper. Wonder if they'll be interested in Iversen? 

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2023/august/03/kaminski-completes-luton-move/

They play out from the back, remember the cup game, they were running rings around us playing around us from the back.

If we don’t think Iverson is suited to us for this reason, Blackburn won’t be coming in for him either. 

Edited by LCFCJohn

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

But most wealthy clubs (i guess we're talking big 6) have been in or around the top for years, improvement in that domain is form UEL to UC, not such an easy thing as getting an ok newcastle team in the mix, even Rodgers managed an equivalent success.

48 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

They play out from the back, remember the cup game, they were running rings around us playing around us from the back.

If we don’t think Iverson is suited to us for this reason, Blackburn won’t be coming in for him either. 

If they want a goalkeeper that plays out from the back they can have Ward instead.

46 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

But most wealthy clubs (i guess we're talking big 6) have been in or around the top for years, improvement in that domain is form UEL to UC, not such an easy thing as getting an ok newcastle team in the mix, even Rodgers managed an equivalent success.

I meant when the likes of Chelsea spend £500m and go from 3rd to 11th or when Man Utd, Arsenal and Spurs have blown vast money in an attempt to improve and plummeted.

Reaching CL or even top 6 for any club outside of the elite is a big achievement and as I said, they could have been daft with the players they signed and it been a disaster but their signings have largely done well and existing players who'd been crap like Joelinton and Almiron etc have improved. 

That's enough praise though, fcuk um.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

I think this highlights how agents can either make or break a player's career. 

You'd think had he stayed with us, chances are he'd have been playing more and more minutes. Especially with the injury crisis we had.

Quite sad really 

Yes,  I do not quite understand all laughing emojis on the original post.   Sidney is still a young player and probably have been very badly advised and influenced at that.

Kind of another teams transfer new but Youri having an annoyingly brilliant pre season. MOTM pretty much every game and looking ripped. Shows what happens when people downs tools. Emphasises importance importance of shifting deadwood and player not playing for the badge. 

• Like 4

Is it just about downing tools? If he's looking ripped then Emery has probably said something to him about his physique and made him do something about it. Something Rodgers clearly didn't. It wasn't just Youri for us was it? Fitness wise our whole team lagged behind the rest of the pack. Something none of us were used to seeing. It's just Youri looked a porker along with it (in footballers terms).

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, JimJams said:

Is it just about downing tools? If he's looking ripped then Emery has probably said something to him about his physique and made him do something about it. Something Rodgers clearly didn't. It wasn't just Youri for us was it? Fitness wise our whole team lagged behind the rest of the pack. Something none of us were used to seeing. It's just Youri looked a porker along with it (in footballers terms).

Good point, Yeah didn’t think of that, here’s me thinking at the very least we had a manger who wanted fitness as a bear minimum. 😀

2 hours ago, DezFox said:

Kind of another teams transfer new but Youri having an annoyingly brilliant pre season. MOTM pretty much every game and looking ripped. Shows what happens when people downs tools. Emphasises importance importance of shifting deadwood and player not playing for the badge. 

& those MoTM awards are despite not starting.
I met up with a colleague who is a Villa fan the day after Youri made his preseason debut (the game he wore that body cam) & my colleague was waxing lyrical about him despite only getting the last 25mins or so. He couldn't believe what he could do, some of the passes & mentioned a bit about how he seemed to be everywhere.
Of course fitness plays a part in that but also a top player knows where to be, what positions to take up & pre-empt's where the ball will end up as opposed to say Hamza who is everywhere soley down to fitness.

I think he's going to have a stellar season for them & back to being the £80m+ player (sadly) he was in our 1st season or so.