Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Harry Winks

I do hope this is a smokescreen, like McArthur and that Celtic lad MacGregor and Veretout and NZonzi plus no doubt other examples..

All those researchers. All those scouts. All those analysts. All those connections. And the best they come up with is basically a name after flicking through the Rothmans directory. I find it difficult to believe tbh. I smell smoke. 

• Like 1

Just now, richard123 said:

Anyone who turns their nose up against this is still living in the 'we are a premier league' team.

Top signing for a championship club. We have to be realistic of what sea we are swimming in.

I'm all for this.

Exactly - I’d be saying good business if this was Leeds or Southampton 

• Like 1

Played golf with a Spurs ST holder this morning. He reckons Winks would do a good job for us in the championship.

Said he's not quite PL level but steady, nothing flash, good in possession, and overall a decent player.

It's probably a yes from me based on what he said.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Better player than Drinky or Matty Jaméz were when they joined, albeit older. All for Winks, feel he could be a good system player.

Him and KDH, what a Brexit means Brexit midfield!

Edited by ScrumpyJack
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I do hope this is a smokescreen, like McArthur and that Celtic lad MacGregor and Veretout and NZonzi plus no doubt other examples..

All those researchers. All those scouts. All those analysts. All those connections. And the best they come up with is basically a name after flicking through the Rothmans directory. I find it difficult to believe tbh. I smell smoke. 

Man City apparently tried to sign Winks in 2020 while Maresca was at the club running their development squad. Maybe Maresca has had conversations with Pep and has targeted Winks because he feels he'll genuinely benefit the team?

1 minute ago, richard123 said:

Anyone who turns their nose up against this is still living in the 'we are a premier league' team.

Top signing for a championship club. We have to be realistic of what sea we are swimming in.

I'm all for this.

He couldn't make an absolutely woeful spurs team. A team even we deservedly licked 4-1. 

I didn't know he had a spell at Sampdoria til today. They don't want him..And that says even more. Since when do Italian clubs turn down a cheapo deal? They are the football equivalent of Asians in the supermarket with 300 bog rolls squeezed into the trolley just coz they are on offer. 

8 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Are smokescreens still a thing in the champ? 

19 minutes ago, Ian S said:

He was a top player for us and if you can’t see that then you really know nothing about football.

My original post stands.

He was a cog in a well oiled machine like Danny Simpson. Two players who arent particularly gifted who did nothing before us and nothing after. Dont think you will ever hear anyone outside Leicester say Danny Drinkwater was a top player

If you look at the type of player Winks is, and who fits the profile, there aren't that many better options that a Championship club could target:

GcL09TM.png

f1IsVzx.png

L4BCXL3.png

Most of these players are deep-lying ball playing midfielders. I know we were heavily linked with Dahoud who signed for Brighton, we have basically got the Tesco Value Championship version.

• Like 1

We'll need players who keep possession flowing, who are good on the half turn and good under pressure. That's Winks in a nutshell.

My only concerns would be desire, as he's on his way down in his career, but he may relish the chance to prove himself again.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

If you look at the type of player Winks is, and who fits the profile, there aren't that many better options that a Championship club could target:

GcL09TM.png

f1IsVzx.png

L4BCXL3.png

Most of these players are deep-lying ball playing midfielders. I know we were heavily linked with Dahoud who signed for Brighton, we have basically got the Tesco Value Championship version.

Yep. There is literally not one better player in those screenshots that is better than winks or remotely realistic.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Probably because we could have offered Mendy a 1 year extension instead of signing Winks, which is a fair criticism.

FYI, I think Winks is a good signing for a Championship Club chasing promotion, which is what we are.

Maybe Mendy didn't want to stay? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

He couldn't make an absolutely woeful spurs team. A team even we deservedly licked 4-1. 

I didn't know he had a spell at Sampdoria til today. They don't want him..And that says even more. Since when do Italian clubs turn down a cheapo deal? They are the football equivalent of Asians in the supermarket with 300 bog rolls squeezed into the trolley just coz they are on offer. 

A 'woeful' Spurs team that finished 8th in the Premier League. They are a class above us, so not getting into their team doesn't mean much really. 

24 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Probably because we could have offered Mendy a 1 year extension instead of signing Winks, which is a fair criticism.

FYI, I think Winks is a good signing for a Championship Club chasing promotion, which is what we are.

Maybe Mendy didn't want to stay? 

And maybe just freshening up, Mendy has been here since 2016.

• Thanks 1

People can dislike this signing. Without needing to give their heads a wobble. 

Happy to proved wrong but this signing isn't what we should be looking for. 

Another player on a long term deal on high wages. Should be a season long loan at a push. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, richard123 said:

Funnily enough I think most peoples rejection to the move are actually the opposite to this. It has more to do with we are a championship team, therefore why are we likely to pay a significant transfer fee and PL wages to such a player? 

Good scouting could find a player with a better injury record who's in his early twenties playing in the lower half of the Championship/L1, Under 23s leagues or one of the more adaptable countries. I hope Enzo's interest in the player is more to do with something he or a colleague have seen in his time at Sampdoria. 

I don't get the experience tag with Winks as he hasn't had experience of a promotion bid in the Championship. If that was the case, we'd be better off chasing Josh Brownhill from Burnley. 

If we sign him I am not going to be disappointed but I can't feeling there's better value out there. 

Edited by CosbehFox
  • Like 1

I think the mixture of overreaction and counters to those on here show its a pretty average signing overall.

Personally, I don't doubt his mentality and I think he's the right kind of player we need. Think he brings good experience too which we will need. 

I can however see why people would be worried over his recent injury record and whether the finances would of been better spent on a 20-24 year old with resale prospects. But not every signing can be with that in mind.