Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Harry Winks

57 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

When we won League One in 2008/09, it felt like we had the division's best player in each position on the pitch, more or less. Even in the one or two positions where we didn't have the best player (we might have had room for one or two Leeds players that season, for example), we had the 2nd or 3rd best players. If you ensure your team has among the best players in most positions on the pitch, a good manager will get you promoted. Winks would be one of the best players in his position in the Championship, which is presumably why we're targeting him.

Is The Championship really THAT sh1t? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

We are in the Championship , 18 y.o. lightweight kids spotted on You Tube or some phony football stats site will be of no use whatsoever. We have our academy kids for that job. We need experience and physical presence for what will be a formidable battle.

...you have noticed that apart from a handful of players on our books (two are currently out injured and not available) most U21 squad's kids look miles better than ours!!!

These 18-year-olds on youtube are playing at a higher level than U21 games, our board just do not have the courage to bring them in.

4 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...you have noticed that apart from a handful of players on our books (two are currently out injured and not available) most U21 squad's kids look miles better than ours!!!

These 18-year-olds on youtube are playing at a higher level than U21 games, our board just do not have the courage to bring them in.

(Just posted this) but there is a reason why Man City U21s cant win the papa johns trophy and beat the good League 1 teams. The odd 18/19 year old is great but have a team full of them and your gonna struggle in the championship.

Edited by les-tah
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Get fvcked. Absolutely not. 

Worst possible first signing, the most bland, milquetoast, nothing footballer imaginable. Not remarkable enough to be a match winner even in the Championship and will be redundant the moment we get promoted (if we do, which looks increasingly less likely of this is what we think our recruitment strategy should be.) 

This is am Everton move, buying players on the way down. All of our success came from buying players on their way up. 

The article claims that Enzo Maresca believes that he can help the team with a promotion push.

25 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

We are in the Championship , 18 y.o. lightweight kids spotted on You Tube or some phony football stats site will be of no use whatsoever. We have our academy kids for that job. We need experience and physical presence for what will be a formidable battle.

Harry Winks hardly screams physical presence.

I'll be shocked if he turns out to be decent for us. Hope to be shocked!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Beachyboy said:

I don't get all this it's a bit bland, the amount of mistakes we made in the DM role last season Ndidi has been shocking if we can get him out the door for £15 mil and get Winks in for £5 mil with Mendys wage gone aswell, the wage bill goes down and we have gained £10 mil.

Well it’s not exactly exciting is it? I’d be amazed if we can get £5m for Ndidi.

He is like Tielemans without the occassional world class pass or screamer isn't he? Does not fill me with joy and hope, but we do need midfielders, that can actually pass and keep possession.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

He could easily move to any of the promoted sides, and probably could have joined anywhere from 12th-20th in the top league. At this level he should be good.

At the same time, the ire he's drawing on here is for good reason. Spurs fans will tell you is that he is "Mr. Sideways passing." His job in seemingly any team is to recycle the ball and rarely makes progressive passes. Let me find some actual comments about the player from the Spurs forum:

"The fear in his play when receiving the ball in the middle. Never wants to take it and turn forward but always first touch backwards, he doesn't back himself."

"when he first came into the team he played an advanced role and was good to that, But then Poch tried to turn him into a DM he just is not powerful enough to do the DM role he also lacks the ability to sense danger so he is always running here and there instead of being close to the right place before/as the ball is being played"

"Winks is not up to the job at spurs. He gets extra hate because he symbolises where and when we started veering off course. He looked ok playing in a quality midfield and the club decided that he was good enough to carry the team after the quality players left. I'm fairly confident he will be moved on in the next window."

Like PEH, completely inconsistent and sloppy. Always good and bad

Winks is a player that is suited to possession based football... for a Championship nothing team

He didn't look good under Poch.
People were, as always, blinded by the fact he was an academy player.
Go back and watch what he actually did. Ignore the score of thee game and watch what he actually did.
He passes to the nearest person as quickly as he can. Usually sideways or backwards.

Whenever I've seen him play he reminds me a lot of what Mendy was like for us. Fairly solid and safe passing, but not someone who grabs control of the game. But the way the Man City apprentices set up their teams, they need someone to do the recycling job to keep the ball moving. Against deep blocks they try and move the ball from side to side to shift the block out of position so someone can attack the half-space to play the low cross for a cut-back goal.

For me this signing is on par with Coady, Cairney, etc. Will be good in this division but lacking in the Premier League. But we need a few players like this to help us get out. The biggest concern for me is that the Spurs fans say he is mentally weak and goes hiding when things are tough. That's exactly the culture that left us in this division in the first place...

This, posted earlier in the thread seems to suggest he can be a progressive player (i assume this is taken from his games in Italy - which i assume is a darn sight harder to play progressively in than the EFL)

IMG_5028.thumb.png.75c167965e77465865e34014fb011671.png

• Like 1

Just now, Lillehamring said:

This, posted earlier in the thread seems to suggest he can be a progressive player (i assume this is taken from his games in Italy - which i assume is a darn sight harder to play progressively in than the EFL)

IMG_5028.thumb.png.75c167965e77465865e34014fb011671.png

He could be but I have to say whenever I’ve seen him play he’s the most sideways and back footballer I’ve seen in a long time. In fact I’ve always thought he’s massively overrated and couldn’t understand why he was near the England setup. 

However, we are in the Championship now and he’ll be good at this level. Also some systems require one player to heavily recycle the ball, the way Sarri used Jorginho at Chelsea comes to mind. I expect him to be the metronome and I bet some games we have 70%+ possession, it happened to us a lot when playing lower league teams in the cup. He will be one of those players that never looks flashy but makes the whole system work. 

29 minutes ago, Jonezy said:

He is like Tielemans without the occassional world class pass or screamer isn't he? Does not fill me with joy and hope, but we do need midfielders, that can actually pass and keep possession.

Nothing like tielemans really. 

He'd work harder for one. 

4 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

Man City apparently tried to sign Winks in 2020 while Maresca was at the club running their development squad. Maybe Maresca has had conversations with Pep and has targeted Winks because he feels he'll genuinely benefit the team?

But that would mean that Maresca and Pep know more about football than Foxes Talk posters! :o   

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, TommyK said:

I think that makes perfect sense. Buy better than the league your in...

But when you have to bring in 10-15 players you can't expect them all to be above championship level - which, bizarrely, is exactly what Winks is!

1 minute ago, Lillehamring said:

But that would mean that Maresca and Pep know more about football than Foxes Talk posters! :o   

I'm sure they do. But even regular mug punters get thing right sometimes..

I was screaming to the heavens not to get that clown Patrick Roberts (or Collins, i forget) involved in the Mahrez deal....and fortunately we didn't fall for it. This has the same ring about it. A buying club pieing off some garbage as a consolation package. No ta. 

• Like 2

I believe if Maddison is going the other way this would make good business sense as the cash percentage we have to pass onto Norwich drops. 

But only if we actually want him and he fits the system/style we want to play. 

I'm a bit fed up of 'good quality' players sitting on the sidelines because they don't suit our systems. 

3 hours ago, Sampson said:

Feels like a reversion to the Sven style strategy when he knew nothing about the division but had too much money so threw it at anyone he'd remotely heard of and put them on big wages. Most were overpaid shite but you'd get the occasional player who was miles too good for Championship level and Schmeichel and Nugent ended up being worth many times more for us than the total spending combined of all these players.

It's one player - you can't judge the far-reaching strategy of replacing 10-15 players in one go, by the signing of one individual.