Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Harry Winks

26 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

He could be but I have to say whenever I’ve seen him play he’s the most sideways and back footballer I’ve seen in a long time. In fact I’ve always thought he’s massively overrated and couldn’t understand why he was near the England setup. 

However, we are in the Championship now and he’ll be good at this level. Also some systems require one player to heavily recycle the ball, the way Sarri used Jorginho at Chelsea comes to mind. I expect him to be the metronome and I bet some games we have 70%+ possession, it happened to us a lot when playing lower league teams in the cup. He will be one of those players that never looks flashy but makes the whole system work. 

The feeling i get is that i remember him looking exceptional when he was young but then, for whatever reason, dropping out of the picture - some players can have careers like that that ultimately either fizzle out or come to life in the most unexpected way - with players like this, based on what i remember of him i would hope the adage - form is temporary, class is permanent - rings true (at least, that is, if we sign him).

15 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I'm sure they do. But even regular mug punters get thing right sometimes..

I was screaming to the heavens not to get that clown Patrick Roberts (or Collins, i forget) involved in the Mahrez deal....and fortunately we didn't fall for it. This has the same ring about it. A buying club pieing off some garbage as a consolation package. No ta. 

Not sure there's much here other than speculation.  garbage? really? - no, i stand firm and prefer to credit maresca and pep with superior insight, with all due respect, than yourself....

Is Winks an upgrade on KDH or Hamza or a bit sameish? 

if he comes in you would expect one of the others to go and we would still need a progressive passer to come in - which to me is more of a priority position.

I think a lot will come down to price and salary - whilst i know we've been guilty of throwing big wages at players (which hopefully won't be the case at this level), we've also been pretty good at standing firm on what we want to pay/receive for players, so i don't see us paying over the odds, unless Maresca knows something about his potential that we don't.

What we have to remember, though, is that we need to bring in 3-5 new midfielders - and they can't all be from man city's academy. in recent years we've been guilty of buying players with similar personality profiles, hopefully a signing like this will offset a younger riskier more exciting player or two.

5 minutes ago, JimmyC74 said:

Is Winks an upgrade on KDH or Hamza or a bit sameish? 

if he comes in you would expect one of the others to go and we would still need a progressive passer to come in - which to me is more of a priority position.

I’d take him over Hamza. 

As someone else posted, it’s about the type of player he is. Recycles the ball keeps it tidy, sort of like Papy Mendy. Enzo is going to play with two all action mids and one sitter. Winks is going to sit and manage the tempo of the game, which he is fairly decent at from what I’ve seen. Certainly at this level. Looked decent enough doing it in Serie A. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

The feeling i get is that i remember him looking exceptional when he was young but then, for whatever reason, dropping out of the picture - some players can have careers like that that ultimately either fizzle out or come to life in the most unexpected way - with players like this, based on what i remember of him i would hope the adage - form is temporary, class is permanent - rings true (at least, that is, if we sign him).

I don't know, it's like us telling Everton fans Gray was having a purple patch, or Reims fans telling us Faes had a mistake in him. Fans that see a player regularly seem to know what's up and Spurs fans have said that he's not good enough for a team pushing for or battling in Europe. But players like Coady and Winks can get us back up first time and will probably be OK for a season if we get back up. And that's good business if you ask me.

These are good signings and we've got them rather than Leeds, Southampton, Boro or Coventry, plus whichever surprise package emerges this season (Ipswich is my bet). Preseason starts next week for some players so having these guys ready to go is great for the new man in charge.

• Like 1

For where we're at currently, this would be a very good signing in my opinion.

If we were to sign Coady, Winks and Steffen, that would go a long way to restoring my faith in the club and it's direction.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Tielemans63 said:

For where we're at currently, this would be a very good signing in my opinion.

If we were to sign Coady, Winks and Steffen, that would go a long way to restoring my faith in the club and it's direction.

Agreed. Winks might not be top 8 PL material, but he’s certainly very tidy at lower half PL and championship level. A canny buy I think.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

Not sure there's much here other than speculation.  garbage? really? - no, i stand firm and prefer to credit maresca and pep with superior insight, with all due respect, than yourself....

Rodgers and Dean Smith both had superior insight, devoted years of their lives and studied elite training methods,  yet played both played Tete.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, sphericalfox said:

All the drama queens. He's an unadventurous signing sure. But we're not in the Prem no more. Cut our cloth accordingly. We need to get used to players who'll 'just do'.

Well you're wrong. I was thrilled to sign Drinkwater. And was amazed when I first saw Mahrez score v Forest and Blackpool. Signing Wes from our biggest rivals. Vards for a million. None of them were signed on a 'it'll do' basis.

There's more hints of Sven with this approach so far than Pearson/Walsh

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Well you're wrong. I was thrilled to sign Drinkwater. And was amazed when I first saw Mahrez score v Forest and Blackpool. Signing Wes from our biggest rivals. Vards for a million. None of them were signed on a 'it'll do' basis.

The Walsh approach is a myth. I know someone who told me about his approach at Everton, and I can assure you it was actually shambolic

36 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Not really. A lot of Pearson's signings in both spells were the blend of youth and experience. For all the Mee's, Keane's, Drinkwater's and Spearings, there were also Howard's, Oakley's, Solanos and Wasyls. Coady has a wealth of experience, players like Steffen, Winks and the various academy players we've been linked to will all have the hunger associated with young players wanting to make their name somewhere.

• Like 1

I’m all for it. We need a mix of a bit of high level experience and youth and him and Coady have it.

Get them two in and then see where we can afford to take more of a gamble on up and coming players in the positions where we need more mavericks than steady eddies (like in the 10 and on the wings).