Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Harry Winks

Right, let's see we do sign him and his attitude is good and he can stay fit (debatable) then focus turns to how we're going to set up.

I'm presuming Ndidi, Soumare and Praet will go. I'll assume Choudhury is a back up DCM. If Winks and KDH are a midfield two then we need a very creative 3rd CM who scores and assists, otherwise it'll be of no surprise if we struggle going forwards.

I have issues considering Winks as a DCM though, he's not strong enough for that role unless the system doesn't require a specific DCM (more likely if Maresca is a Pep disciple) but if Winks is being brought in to play some sort of dynamic midfield role then it's got potential disaster written all over it and would be classic Leicester.

• Like 3

I very rarely get irked by transfer rumours and pontificating on hyperthetical scenarios... but this one has got me bothered..

Seriously, we may as well keep Praet - also ordinary at Sampdoria (or wherever he was) - also an undefined midfielder and also a smattering of international caps. They are probs even the same age.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Right, let's see we do sign him and his attitude is good and he can stay fit (debatable) then focus turns to how we're going to set up.

I'm presuming Ndidi, Soumare and Praet will go. I'll assume Choudhury is a back up DCM. If Winks and KDH are a midfield two then we need a very creative 3rd CM who scores and assists, otherwise it'll be of no surprise if we struggle going forwards.

I have issues considering Winks as a DCM though, he's not strong enough for that role unless the system doesn't require a specific DCM (more likely if Maresca is a Pep disciple) but if Winks is being brought in to play some sort of dynamic midfield role then it's got potential disaster written all over it and would be classic Leicester.

KDH - Winks - Hamer

Would be a class midfield at this level.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

For little to know reason at all, I think it'll be a back three and wingbacks with at least one of our 3 CBs able to push out to FB to create a back 4 when on the ball, Coady fits this role, possible JJ too.

I think the midfield will be a DM and a deep lying playmaker.

Then I reckon it'll either be 2 #10s/inside forwards behind someone like Nacho who can hold the ball and link play with the 10's playing narrow as to create space for the wingbacks. OR...

A 10 behind 2 strikers, like Nacho and Daka. I think this last bit will depend on who stays and who goes. 

6 minutes ago, Fosse93 said:

KDH - Winks - Hamer

So much energy, not much physicality but presume Maresca will be wanting us a play a more possession based game so not crucial. 

that’ll at least be two of our starting midfielders you’d think 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fosse93 said:

KDH - Winks - Hamer

Yep.

Gk?

JJ.    Souttar Coady Krist,

Winks

Hamer.  KDH

Palmer.                Borges

Vardy

11 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I very rarely get irked by transfer rumours and pontificating on hyperthetical scenarios... but this one has got me bothered..

Seriously, we may as well keep Praet - also ordinary at Sampdoria (or wherever he was) - also an undefined midfielder and also a smattering of international caps. They are probs even the same age.

Praet is older and doesn’t want to be here. He’s also done nothing since being in the Premier League. Winks has at least had a period of time where he was a capable, well thought of player for one of the big 6.

I think some people on here are struggling to adapt to the fact we are now a Championship club.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Ricey said:

Praet is older and doesn’t want to be here. He’s also done nothing since being in the Premier League. Winks has at least had a period of time where he was a capable, well thought of player for one of the big 6.

I think some people on here are struggling to adapt to the fact we are now a Championship club.

Nothing to do with PL or Championship. I don't think he's any good. 

I used the example yesterday, Drinkwater was an outstanding signing at the time. Just because you are in the championship, accepting mediocrity isn't a given

Edit; anyways, I'm hoping the whole thing is a red herring and we are conning Levy into thinking he'll get a chunk of his outlay back on Madders. Play the cnt at his own game.

Edited by Paninistickers

Just now, Paninistickers said:

Nothing to do with PL or Championship. I don't think he's any good. 

I used the example yesterday, Drinkwater was an outstanding signing at the time. Just because you are in the championship, accepting mediocrity isn't a given. 

But taking a chance on players not fancied, not yet deemed good enough, is very much in our best DNA - I am prepared to give him a chance in the hope his best self gives us what we (Or rather Maresca) are looking for

46 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Tell us how you really feel Ric 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Lose 60% of the teams creativity in one player and replace him with a 0 assist 0 goals player last season 🤦‍♂️ 

Got to get creativity through the door

• Like 1

Agree with this, I see Winks coming in as a DM that recycles the ball, offers a bit of calm in that scenario. Nothing too progressive.

KDH as the industry and drive and then we need someone creative alongside.

I'd love that to be Bernabe from Parma but it could also be a Gus Hamer or Ilias Chair.

Like you, I would love for us to go for a young enigmatic player that will excite us… I do think Maresca will go for one but, we are going to try and get some shrewder business done. I thought the same as you, when the news first popped its head up…. But spoke to my mate who is a spurs ST holder, and he rates him, as do many of the others who drag themselves to watch Harry Kane FC.

He reckon he will be class in the championship, he’s been stifled by two boring managers who’s tactics board is just paint drying.

Everything is a risk, especially at this level. But Winks could be that type of sighing that flourishes at this level. I’m happy to give him a chance! 

Hopefully we’ve got something special lined up for the wingers….

Going to be extremely interesting. If we play the way I’m thinking, we could be susceptible to getting smashed on the counter attack over and over again.

If we go 3-4-1-2 like Maresca did at Parma a few times, then like you say, you thoroughly expect a midfield two of Winks & KDH, it certainly won’t be the most defensive protected midfield in the Championship, and that’s where my worries of being susceptible to counter attacks kicks in. 

KDH last season averaged 8 successful defensive actions per 90, and 6 defensive duels per 90. Winks in Serie A averaged less than that, while winning 50% of his duels, very bang average numbers on that side of his game. 

Could you potentially play a midfield three of a more defensive midfielder, Winks, then push KDH further forward 🤔 But then the question would be can KDH be creative enough. 

My biggest concern right now is seeing Maresca adopt a 4-3-3, with Coady & Souttar at centre back, with Winks as the base of the midfield three. There would be a sheer lack of pace and defensive protection if that’s the route we go, teams will just sit back, frustrate, then catch us on the counter and expose our lack of pace. 

Might be negative, but these are valid points!

• Like 1