Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Harry Winks

27 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

We've played this a bit - to work down the slice that Norwich get from the Maddison deal.

We could have charged Spurs £50m in an exchange deal for Winks but instead we've reduced Norwich's slice, got in Winks. The £40m/£10m is partly for show. 

I think this is is what's really gone on. We've structured deals to minimise the amount we've had to pay for Norwich.

As for the signing, it's OK. He's someone we were linked with even in the top league, so not that much of a surprise to see him here. If we go up and he's a mainstay in the team, he'll turn out to be a good signing. If we struggle and don't, then it won't. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

So we've sold Maddison who scored 10 goals and 9 assists last season in a very poor Leicester team for 40m and we're buying Winks who even through was loaned out this year to Samdoria who got relegated he achieved 0 goals and 0 assists for 10m. 

Beyond belief!

They are completely different players - Winks is more of a Marty James who was integral in us getting promotion last time, you can’t compare the two.

As others have said look at the make up of both deals, only time will tell who gets the better end of the deal here.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

A Spurs fan colleague says Winks is steady and reliable. That suits me fine. He's not here to score and assist, he's here to toughen us up.

Sounds like Matt Oakley, without the toughening up bit. 

7 minutes ago, ian__marshall said:

Am I the only person that thinks £10m isn't a bad deal?!? I was initially underwhelmed when the Winks rumours surfaced but the idea has grown on me the past day or so and reckon he'd be decent in Maresca's system. Let's be honest you'd be struggling to sign even a mediocre Championship player for that sort of fee these days so £10m for an average Prem player isn't bad business. He's easily a £20m player, so the way I'm seeing it is that Spurs have actually helped us in terms of not only giving us a cut price deal but also helping us avoid paying a bigger fee to Norwich. Stay positive lads reckon we'll be alright 👍🏼

I'm the same, £10m for him is reasonable to be honest for a player of his energy and quality.

• Like 1

It just makes me wonder what we have to spend. Clearly we need not far off double figures in, possibly into double figures if we lose many on top of those already gone/going.

We can’t be spending these sort of fees on many as we have never spent big even when in the Premier League.

I guess the answer will be loans. I’d be nice to see some permanent deals of lower outlay for some younger players though!

He had a bit of a purple patch in 2020 season and looked a very good No.6 in the premier league. Always been a good progressive passer but sometimes got a bit exposed defensively.

A great signing for the championship though and will suit our new anticipated system very well.

4 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

It just makes me wonder what we have to spend. Clearly we need not far off double figures in, possibly into double figures if we lose many on top of those already gone/going.

We can’t be spending these sort of fees on many as we have never spent big even when in the Premier League.

I guess the answer will be loans. I’d be nice to see some permanent deals of lower outlay for some younger players though!

According to Tanner and Percy we’ve got the largest budget in the league. So, they’re obviously happy to accept a lower fee for Maddison. 

Do some of our 'fans' not realise we are now in the Championship ?

This by definition means we won't attract 'good' Premier league standard players & therefore won't be paying Premium wages. That ship has sailed. 

Some of the snobbery & thinking we are getting much better players than Winks or Coady, with Prem experience is baffling. 

Edited by STEVIE B
  • Like 3

I think the combined deal just smacks of how everyone apart from the rose tinted glasses wearers just saw Maddison having a 10/10 Spursey season. 

Push comes to shove, he is Spursey - and that isn’t worth £50m of anyone’s money. The deal for him and Winks just reflects his drop in value as a result. 

It’s a shame. 

Oh, and Rudkin out. 

13 minutes ago, glenny_fox said:

We really are a panicky bunch aren't we?

The £40m for Maddison will be the the guaranteed amount with a further 5-10m in addons, taking it 45-50m, which we were never getting any more than that.

The £10m for Winks, will be the very maximum we pay, i'm guessing, on the assumption we get promoted. which doesn't sound like a bad deal to me.

People saying both are in the last years of their contracts need to look at the bigger picture. We are in desperate need of a full rebuild and will need to shift players sooner rather than later. Which every other club will already know, meaning our selling power is currently on the floor.

Whereas Spurs will not be bothered if they don't sell Winks and he leaves for free next year as the few mil won't make a huge difference. meaning their selling power is a lot higher than ours.

The fact we're selling Madders now rather than waiting til the end of the window is massive for us. as it gives us every chance to spend the money on players that will actually help us.

Based on what source?

Wouldn't have been on my list but we're very much selecting from a different menu now. The main thing for me is that this is (hopefully) part of an overall plan for how Maresca intends to set us up to play  and hopefully there are more creative players to follow.

29 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

What kind of player is Winks? Maybe my ignorance talking but this just feels like a Praet 2.0 type signing...

The Man's won 10 caps for England and comes with a high chance of getting his career going again, It was said in the past, England are still missing a deep lying playmaker,  Those wondering who could possibly fill the void have obviously forgotten Winks, who excels at keeping possession with quick, short passes. If Enzo's happy then so am I 

Just now, Chico1958 said:

The Man's won 10 caps for England and comes with a high chance of getting his career going again, It was said in the past, England are still missing a deep lying playmaker,  Those wondering who could possibly fill the void have obviously forgotten Winks, who excels at keeping possession with quick, short passes. If Enzo's happy then so am I 

Under Pearson these types of signings turned out to be key Winks and Coady fit that bracket

• Like 3

Pleased with this 

Not too long ago he was linked to Man United 

England international

Fair to say he's had a few poor spells but which player hasn't, Maddison went anonymous for about a year not long ago 

5 minutes ago, Chico1958 said:

So he plays a role similar to tielemens under Rodgers. I hope he and others are maresca signings, because I'd hate to think we're buying players for maresca that he doesn't rate 

• Like 1