Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Harry Winks

56 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

OK enlighten me, I presume the negativity was of that ilk a few months ago? In which case why the shift in positivity? And if not then how on earth not?

It was more the journey from your take on Winks to the out and out catastrophic nature of the rest of the post, which in my subjective opinion is overly negative.

5 minutes ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

There laughing their heads off on Spurs's fightingcock forum.....they can't believe we're paying 10m for him.....posters saying they should be paying Leicester millions to take him instead!

After all that forum is the absolute font of highbrow thinking and football knowledge 

Edited by CosbehFox
  • Haha 1

tbh i prefer this signing to Cairney. 

I think winks has the potential to be good, it’s probably not someone who would have been high on my list but there’s a chance it works out. 

With all the videos of the mistakes it just reminds me a bit of kdh. Too good for the championship, but a question mark over whether they’re good enough for the prem. 

But the job is to win the championship so for thatX he might be alright 

• Like 3

If we are paying 10m for Winks and receiving 40m for Maddison,  Crudkin needs immediate binning off.

Come on Top let the fans see the report on last seasons circus.  Something is not right here.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

First time ever that I have no clue what you're talking about here :D. You're talking about a £20m loss to save a few million going out to Norwich? If we had got £50m and Winks that would sound better because it would be better, about £16m better! lol

35 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Which part of my post is wrong because I genuinely don't understand where you're coming from here mate :D

Nothing wrong with your maths. These deals are complex, it's not just the money involved, but how much is paid upfront, how much in instalments, what the add-ons are, etc. My dad was an accountant and I have seen some of the things they do to hide things from the tax man, it's pretty heinous.

When first reported by John Percy, this is what he had to say:

"Maddison is Leicester's best player and will be available for a fee understood to be between £45 million and £60 million, with just over a year left on his current contract."

There's a compromise, but we've got a sum we are happy with, Spurs are happy and both players are happy too (who are usually due a % of the fee). We are a club that is notorious for selling well, as shown last summer. I suspect we've got 40M + Winks after fees to Norwich have been paid, paying slightly more if we get promoted, but it's all conjecture from me.

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mozartfox said:

If we are paying 10m for Winks and receiving 40m for Maddison,  Crudkin needs immediate binning off.

Come on Top let the fans see the report on last seasons circus.  Something is not right here.

well according to reports we aren't paying 10 for winks and aren't receiving 40 for Maddison 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

well according to reports we aren't paying 10 for winks and aren't receiving 40 for Maddison 

What reports?? These figures are being reported in some media outlets. So what are the figures then??

Don’t know why we’re bothered about who gets what fee, this is the business of the club, all I’m interested in is what players we’re getting in, think it’s tricky to judge Winks, he may see this as an opportunity at a career revival and be brilliant, when we signed Daka and Soumare, lots of rival fans were saying what great signings they were. 27 years old, and played both PL and Serie A, now playing tier below, I’m excited. 

• Like 2

Leicester agree £10m Winks deal

Leicester have agreed a deal worth up to £10m to sign Harry Winks from Tottenham.

Winks is free to leave Spurs after spending last season on loan at Sampdoria.

He made 20 appearances after missing the first part of the season through injury.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

Don’t know why we’re bothered about who gets what fee, this is the business of the club, all I’m interested in is what players we’re getting in, think it’s tricky to judge Winks, he may see this as an opportunity at a career revival and be brilliant, when we signed Daka and Soumare, lots of rival fans were saying what great signings they were. 27 years old, and played both PL and Serie A, now playing tier below, I’m excited. 

I suppose it's as good as it gets under the circumstances!!... 

He has to be better than Tielemans for sure. 

He will be absolute quality in the Championship. He’s a really decent footballer who was badly managed over the last few years. He will retain the ball well and will have time on the ball to allow our more creative players to get into space. He’s an intelligent footballer who will be much needed when either the dunder-headed Hamza or the hyperactive KDH are on and will give some craft and guile to our midfield. 

You’d imagine that Maresca will play out from the back and Winks is exactly the player you need for that. Very good under pressure and will be able to receive the ball in tight places and pass it on. 

As for the fee, I think it will represent great value for money. He’s played to a high level, has the capability under a decent coach to reach this and beyond. It’s clear that Maresca wants him so he’ll have the confidence that comes from being a new coaches first signing. I doubt the £10m is the fee, rather £6m with add-ons including promotion.

He’s not the Guatamalan Under-20 wonderkid who has a YouTube reel full of rainbow flicks and showboating but he’s a metronomic midfielder who we’ll need for the more extravagant players to be able

to do their thing. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Just making sure people see that bit

Difference between £10m and up to £10m

Agreed. Also I have a feeling that a chunk of his salary will be retained by spurs as well for the remainder of his contract time with them. 

Along with add ons based on things that won’t happen.

He’s part of the overall Maddison transfer I think. We get a fee and a player back from them. Structured in a way that gets us out of having to pay Norwich a larger percentage of sale fee 

Edited by Molson Canadian

Not sure what people are expecting, we aren't high jacking any Gundogan deal.. Winks will be decent in the championship.

People need to understand that we aren't shopping in markets we thought we could, instead of Waitrose.. we're going to Lidl and spotting a bargain.

• Like 2

My only problem with this is that with our lack of leaders and tendency to collapse when the slightest thing goes against us, we had the opportunity this summer to say "never again", to look every potential new signing in the eye and judge their temperament, steel, character and leadership ability. Harry Winks has been at Spurs for years, around the training ground, in the dressing room, around the atmosphere that even sent Conte round the bend (although I'm aware Winks was away on loan), a bottling, shoot yourself in the foot, self destruct, self capitulating culture. I bet he can't even say "Grrrr"". Maybe he's an exception but he's being hooked from one toxic pond into another just as we're trying to change the water. It's hard to come in and set an example when your example is Tottenham.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rusko187 said:

Not sure what people are expecting, we aren't high jacking any Gundogan deal.. Winks will be decent in the championship.

People need to understand that we aren't shopping in markets we thought we could, instead of Waitrose.. we're going to Lidl and spotting a bargain.

I'd say yellow stickers in Sainsbury's in this case but I take your point.

• Haha 1