Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest Mee-9

Enzo Maresca New Leicester Manager

I haven't kept up with the Enzo Maresca stuff as much as I wanted, could someone give me the rough consensus on his time at Parma, what went wrong/why he left etc? I know people have discussed it in detail in the other thread but finding it then trawling through it is not really something I wish to put myself through lol

4 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

I agree, but if we are midtable by Christmas, many fans will start to turn. That is the way of things I am afraid. 

It's not unreasonable to expect us to make at least a very strong push for instant promotion. It's the way of the world these days that at least one relegated side bounces straight back because of retained players, financial foundations and parachute payments.

Given Southampton haven't gotten Martin over the line and Leeds haven't been seriously linked with any candidate yet, it would suggest we're already steps ahead in our preparation. 

Edited by Bilo
  • Like 3

Just now, cityfanlee23 said:

I haven't kept up with the Enzo Maresca stuff as much as I wanted, could someone give me the rough consensus on his time at Parma, what went wrong/why he left etc? I know people have discussed it in detail in the other thread but finding it then trawling through it is not really something I wish to put myself through lol

I don't think anyone's discussed it frankly. I think the BBC said it was a young manager's learning experience prior to joining the Pep juggernaut. There's obviously a risk. But the prospect of the loan players helping our finances and squad depth overrides my caution honestly. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Mother of god. I've never ****ing heard this before. This is insane.

even more insanely - it's on spotify! *adds to all playlists*

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Bilo said:

It's not unreasonable to expect us to make at least a very strong push for instant promotion. It's the way of the world these days that at least one relegated side bounces straight back because of retained players, financial foundations and parachute payments.

Given Southampton haven't gotten Martin over the line and Leeds haven't been seriously linked with any candidate yet, it would suggest we're already steps ahead in our preparation. 

Especially given Top's comments that they've admired him for some time.  Contrary to popular consensus, it sounds like we've possibly had a plan all along :dunno:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

Especially given Top's comments that they've admired him for some time.  Contrary to popular consensus, it sounds like we've possibly had a plan all along :dunno:

The timing of his appointment, less than a week after the Champions League final, and the comments from Top suggest that we weren't flailing around as blindly as we thought.

Perhaps Maresca was on the agenda even if we'd survived. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bilo said:

The timing of his appointment, less than a week after the Champions League final, and the comments from Top suggest that we weren't flailing around as blindly as we thought.

Perhaps Maresca was on the agenda even if we'd survived. 

I know it's not a popular opinion - but i've never really bought into the idea that the board who won us the league, fa cup and several seasons in europe could suddenly have regressed to a level of utter incompetence - perhaps this last season was really just a (well disguised) tactical retreat, allowing us to regroup and reboot?

18 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

Plastic...

• Haha 1

A common theme among Pep and his disciples has been a "no dickheads" approach to squad (see Cancelo this season, or Aubameyang at Arsenal). Really think that would pay dividends for us this summer.

Technical quality, yes...but you've got to ****ing work too.

3 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

I know it's not a popular opinion - but i've never really bought into the idea that the board who won us the league, fa cup and several seasons in europe could suddenly have regressed to a level of utter incompetence - perhaps this last season was really just a (well disguised) tactical retreat, allowing us to regroup and reboot?

Tactically retreat - wow that is the new PC term for being relegated! 

The board have made shocking decisions over the past 2 years, but I agree that doesn’t make them utterly incompetent, but they have to follow it up with better player recruitment too.

(And if I thought for 1 second that we were relegated because the board were waiting for a improven manager to become free, then I’ll change my mind about it not making them utterly incompetent) 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, gw_leics772 said:

Damn sight better than the poisoned dwarf who was all substance over form. 

I'm certain there was a quote along the lines of, I care about the performance because individual games can be affected by luck but if we get the performance right.... 

And then there's the 3-0/0-0 ht/ft v West brim and the twat was happier with the nil nil half. 

****ing penguin! 

Let it go ffs.

1 minute ago, beepee1984 said:

Tactically retreat - wow that is the new PC term for being relegated! 

The board have made shocking decisions over the past 2 years, but I agree that doesn’t make them utterly incompetent, but they have to follow it up with better player recruitment too.

(And if I thought for 1 second that we were relegated because the board were waiting for a improven manager to become free, then I’ll change my mind about it not making them utterly incompetent) 

I just think it's easy to look at the bigger picture, add up all the odd movements and decide - oh they must be incompetent - but we don't know the motivations or business logic behind these seemingly atrocious decisions.  Whilst i'm sure they didn't want to us to be relegated there are certain signs that they felt a relegation wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing - they knew once we fell off the europe merry-go-round what they'd built was unsustainable, they knew that they were bloated and had drifted away from their previously successful way of operating - the cost to rectify the situation at PL level was prohibitively expensive, a rebuild / reboot of the scale we now face suddenly becomes a lot more managable in the championship...

• Like 1