Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest Mee-9

Enzo Maresca New Leicester Manager

6 minutes ago, StanSP said:

A chant with the same tune as his name. 

but it doesn't scan very well unless you sing en-zo-ma-RES-ca.  It's pretty weak, tbh.

32 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:
34 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

I haven't kept up with the Enzo Maresca stuff as much as I wanted, could someone give me the rough consensus on his time at Parma, what went wrong/why he left etc? I know people have discussed it in detail in the other thread but finding it then trawling through it is not really something I wish to put myself through lol

I had to read a couple of hundred pages of shilo why shouldn’t you.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Happy Fox said:

Interesting quotes from Enzo Maresca in the past: “My thesis at Coverciano [Italian coaching centre] is called ‘Football and Chess’. There are a lot of similarities.

“The most important is positional play and strategy. For a coach it’s important to have the mentality of a chess player: develop a plan, study counter moves, choose the arrangement of the pieces.”

Pep's teams get the plaudits for how many goals they score, but I remember Mourinho when he was a pundit on Sky saying "Have you seen Man City off the ball? They are phenomenal." They make other teams attack down certain areas and try to lure teams into certain spaces to expose the gaps they leave behind.

It takes a lot of time on the training pitch to know what to do and when, as well as doing it collectively as a team. But once you know it, teams start to become scary. If he succeeds here, most likely we will start out a bit rough and then after a few months things will start clicking. That's if he can get his message across!

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Kp1984 said:

Can’t stand him 

Does g try hat make you some kind of super fan?

it’s a thread about the new manager, why bother telling us how much you disliked Rodgers. 
apologies for quoting you, it’s aimed at everyone who can’t let it go and move on.

13 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

I know it's not a popular opinion - but i've never really bought into the idea that the board who won us the league, fa cup and several seasons in europe could suddenly have regressed to a level of utter incompetence - perhaps this last season was really just a (well disguised) tactical retreat, allowing us to regroup and reboot?

Why let Brendan trash the academy, scouting, finances and positive feeling, i.e. the foundations setup by Vichai and Pearson? I'm going for incompetence.

You could argue after they realised the finances had been ****ed (Soyuncu and Tielemans leaving on a free, and the best players with a year or two left on their contracts) that we needed to go down and rebuild the team and finances again.

But two seasons ago we were in a good position. It was sheer incompetence they let Brendan trash the foundations.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, beepee1984 said:

Tactically retreat - wow that is the new PC term for being relegated! 

Not everything you dislike is PC.

It's a positive spin. Yeah I don't necessarily agree.

But he's not advocating that relegation is a bad word.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, filbertway said:

lol tactical retreat **** me

It's a multi-million pound business, FFS - people on here are happy to just sit here and assume we were relegated because the previously flawless team that had got us into the top 6 for two season are just, upsidaisy, suddenly the chimpanzee's tea party.

If you genuinely can't see the plausibility and merits of the board accepting that the club were in an massive unresolvable tailspin and have planned for this chance to rebuild at a budget level then you clearly have no understanding about how King Power are billionaires.

Do you run a business?  If you did, you'd know that sometimes you have to go back to square one, rip away all the crap and start from scratch - yes, you retreat, stabilise and rebuild - and, lo, here we are with the first clear sign that this is not just them making it up as they go along - they hire a man who, in an instant, has unified and enlivened a fanbase that was seething and baying for blood.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

'

I honestly thought that the interview I heard was awful. I was massively disappointed. He sounded totally befuddled, and offered no sense of vision, clarity or direction at all. And his English is about A2 level, which isn't what you'd expect from someone who'd wow'd people at interview. I know Claudio's English was basic too, but seriously, this guy sounds totally incoherent. Maybe I'm a cynic, but I can't for a second believe that he's been contracted on the grounds that he can do the job that we need him to do. It's about profile, style of play, cheap loans and the fact that he won't be a spanner in the works.

He could be up to it. But this feels like a 1 in 20 or 30 shot. There's very little to suggest that this will work.

I don't tend to call for managers to go, and I'll be behind Enzo too. But this is a great, great abyss that we've hurled ourselves into. (Hopefully for the better!)

Edited by inckley fox
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Why let Brendan trash the academy, scouting, finances and positive feeling, i.e. the foundations setup by Vichai and Pearson? I'm going for incompetence.

You could argue after they realised the finances had been ****ed (Soyuncu and Tielemans leaving on a free, and the best players with a year or two left on their contracts) that we needed to go down and rebuild the team and finances again.

But two seasons ago we were in a good position. It was sheer incompetence they let Brendan trash the foundations.

Sure - but i'm talking about the situation they found themselves in last season - you have to remember that the BR experiment started off with two of the best seasons in our history after looking like relegation fodder.

I'm not saying they are perfect but to brush everything under the carpet of 'incompetence' seems wrong.

Regardless of how you read that situation, the fact is that's where they were at, and rather than spunking more money to try to polish a turd, they opted to freeze everything and start afresh this summer - hoping that they'd still have enough to survive but equally seeing the advantages of doing it in the EFL...

9 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

It's a multi-million pound business, FFS - people on here are happy to just sit here and assume we were relegated because the previously flawless team that had got us into the top 6 for two season are just, upsidaisy, suddenly the chimpanzee's tea party.

If you genuinely can't see the plausibility and merits of the board accepting that the club were in an massive unresolvable tailspin and have planned for this chance to rebuild at a budget level then you clearly have no understanding about how King Power are billionaires.

Do you run a business?  If you did, you'd know that sometimes you have to go back to square one, rip away all the crap and start from scratch - yes, you retreat, stabilise and rebuild - and, lo, here we are with the first clear sign that this is not just them making it up as they go along - they hire a man who, in an instant, has unified and enlivened a fanbase that was seething and baying for blood.

I love how your mind works to be fair man haha. Its creative ill give you that.

Sounds like the kind of **** Rudkin would say to try and justify being terrible at his job lol

Our board didn't become billionaires. Vichai did. 

Suppose I have to self filter.

Edited by filbertway
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, filbertway said:

I love how your mind works to be fair man haha. Its creative ill give you that.

Sounds like the kind of shit Rudkin would say to try and justify being terrible at his job lol

Our board didn't become billionaires. Vichai did. 

This is the tip of the iceberg of my great relegation conspiracy theory!

Yes i look for the positives, but i feel that nothing i've said is implausible, even if it's left field.  Sure, it wasn't our board that became billionaires, but they did become champions of england...  you don't accidently build the success we've had in the last decade - and i firmly believe they still know what they're doing, that 22/23 was just an unavoidable blip