Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest Mee-9

Enzo Maresca New Leicester Manager

I get a feeling Maresca's appointment has been lined up since Rodgers left. He couldn't leave Man City while their season was still live, yet within less than a week of their CL victory he has become our manager. These things don't happen in a matter of days. Hopefully in that time our board have done their due diligence. It's a risk, given his inexperience in the hot seat itself, but he has pedigree and we can hope some of Pep's golden touch has rubbed off on Enzo 

• Like 1

This is certainly an interesting appointment and i hope the gamble pays off.  Compare this guy to the other diddly donks we were linked with like Parker, Smith and Gerrard he's definitely a step up in my opinion and this is something we should all get behind. With him coming from a club with a winning mentality surely this has to be a good thing,  Exciting times ahead me thinks.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Bilo said:

I think so as well.

He's coming from a club where second is a poor season even if they're playing great football and, crucially, where they respond very well to setbacks because they know that even the odd bad performance is a blip in the overall mission. He obviously had far better players to work with, but he's likely to have one of the most talented squads, if not the most talented, squad in the division here.

Last sentence is what got us into trouble in the first place..

let’s quit bumming up ourselves and crapping off the opposition

…let’s first see our squad earn that right…

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, teblin said:

I agree it’s a gamble and could well be a disaster.

But over the last season there hasn’t been much to be positive about. I think it’s easier to positive about an appointment like this than a “safe” appointment with someone like Parker.

The club have taken a risk here, but I for one hope it pays off.

The recruitment it going to decide how well he does to be fair.

The club and fans need something to lift spirits and give cause for optimism. It doesn't take that much, for example how excited we got about the Tete signing. Maresca doesn't come with much baggage and might be just what we need. Could be the spark to get us going again, for a while at least. 

I don't have strong feelings either way on Maresa, purely because I know next to nothing about him. I'm in the strange position of being neither excited nor disappointed about this one. That said, I'm not averse to the club taking a risk so good luck to the guy.

• Like 2

Interesting to see what he can do with Soumare if he stays. He’s shown in rare patches there’s a player in there, it’s just a confidence/application thing. Maybe a more demanding manager can coax those glimpses of quality into 90min consistent performances.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

The club and fans need something to lift spirits and give cause for optimism. It doesn't take that much, for example how excited we got about the Tete signing. Maresca doesn't come with much baggage and might be just what we need. Could be the spark to get us going again, for a while at least. 

Yep it’s kinda what I was getting at. Yes it’s a risk but any appointment is.

9 hours ago, Lillehamring said:

When they sacked ranieri for example?  The two seasons after we won the league we conceded 60 & 63 goals, not that much worse than this season - the only difference was that we had vardy and kasper to keep us in games.

We had two managers in-between that and Rodgers, we finished 12th under Shaky, 9th under Puel and were 12th when Puel was sacked. Hard to say we were relegation fodder on the basis of half a season 2 years earlier, we were a dull but comfortable midtable club when Rodgers arrived 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

he’s all about a winning mentality 

jeez he’s in for a shock when he walks into our dressing room …….

That's his job, to instil a winning mentality, any player not on board will be side lined and shown the door.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FLAN said:

I know he will probably leave but wonder how this guy would handle a player like Barnes. He  applies himself to only small periods of the game and expects the rest of the team to make up for him

im not sure Barnes has it in him to apply himself throughout games 

Barnes has massive potential, which so far he has only lived up too in moments.  I do think with the right manager/coach, who can get the best out of players he could be so much better. Whether our new guy, is able to do that, we dont know yet, but if he does move, which is likely, then if has the option of Newcastle, then Eddie Howe would be ideal for him. The improvement in some of their ordinary, run of the mill players, has been remarkable.

We will not suddenly turn a corner , we will have lost our creative core and if Barnes leaves our main goal scorer. Our other players are not outstanding but are of proven ability.   Maresca must be supplied with some decent standard replacements and then he can build teamwork and a strong mentality. I am hoping he can see results after Christmas but the first few months could be tough.

Edited by An Sionnach
  • Like 4