Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest Mee-9

Enzo Maresca New Leicester Manager

Just now, Bluearmyfox28 said:

Stowell and Sadler I would imagine will still be here, if they weren’t to be surely they would have said thank you to them within the same statement of Deano & co?

Probably when we announce the backroom team they will be let go then?

I think it would be to just start fresh completely.

3 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Dear Paul,

Have I called him incompetent? No. No I haven’t. 

Are you aware of the difference between being a coach and a manager? I suggest you go have a little look at all the examples of those who excel at one and fail at the other. 

Given his brief sojourn into management, there is nothing there to say he’ll be the roaring success some here seem to reckon is a banker just because he worked for the biggest sports-washing team in the world. 

And how tough do you think it is to coach the most expensive squad in the world compared to say an average Championship side?

Im not calling him incompetent - nor indeed predicting failure here - just that the over enthusiasm being expressed is a bit out of line with the evidence. 

I am absolutely calling our owners, the board and the senior management team at the club incompetent. I’m not going to list off all the reasons yet again, the evidence for this is stunningly overwhelming. 

Time and again, they are failing to learn from mistakes, refusing to accept responsibility and hiding. If that’s fine with you then great, it isn’t fine with me. If you’re good with just being “a customer”, you crack on - I’m not. 

Have a rest, they already accepted responsibility and have now gone with an appointment for the future.

He's managed a full season with the Man City youth team and then a full season with Pep along with Parma and Pellegrini at WHU.

I don't get this view, if he seriously wants to become a manager then he has to start somewhere and with all the experience I think its enough for him to do so.

We are favorites to go up so average championship side don't really wash.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

People going after Stowell is an odd one lol 

It really isn’t. 

Failed to develop Kaspars Corner/crosses and shots from outside the box issue.

When Kaspar arrived he was already a brilliant one on one shot stopper and mouthy organiser.

Also Ward, seems a worse goalkeeper than he was at Huddersfield.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

If Maresca gives us nothing else, I'd imagine our tactical fouling will step up a notch or two. 

Yep- new diving and new time wasting Coaches were a condition of his acceptance. 

35 minutes ago, Babylon said:

He didn’t sign him, he didn’t pick him FFS. 

As the goalkeeper coach, and as a coach that worked with the goalkeepers mainly away from the rest of the group on a daily basis, i would expect him to have an input, and say, Look Brendan, ive worked with Danny Ward now for long enough, and can tell you he isnt of the required standard, and we should move him on.   Unless of course he thought that Ward was indeed up to the required standard, in which case he shouldnt be a goalkeeper coach, due to his total lack of judgement!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'd love to have been that fly on the wall during the discussions. Primarily focussing on what are the expectations for next season? If it is to bounce straight back I think that a lot of people will be in for a long and frustrating season coming up. The chance of gelling a team that no one is going to recognise on that first game to then get to 100+ points at season end is a massive ask, mammoth, titanic. We all know where the titanic ended up. I hope its a rebuild 3 year project where progress is the only thing that matters, a steady and sustainable kind of progress.

30 minutes ago, Dusty said:

I might have missed this, but why isn’t he starting until July 5th? Is it just his summer break?

Needs a holiday. Sure his mobile will be red hot.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dusty said:

I might have missed this, but why isn’t he starting until July 5th? Is it just his summer break?

He may have young children and want a break and holiday with them.  I’m sure life is pretty full on working with pep and he needs to recharge  in any case. 
as others have said, he will no doubt be thinking about what’s to come and making plans 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Muzzy_no7 said:

It really isn’t. 

When Kaspar arrived he was already a brilliant one on one shot stopper and mouthy organiser.

I've often wondered what a goal-keeping coach does anyway? I mean how hard can it be? Yes I understand teaching young kids on the books the basics but what could you be teaching a senior pro keeper he doesn't already know?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bazly said:

I hope its a rebuild 3 year project where progress is the only thing that matters, a steady and sustainable kind of progress.

Yes me too. I won't be at all bothered if we don't go straight back up, I'm way more interested to see improvements across the whole spectrum ie the types of players we have coming in, winning mentality, fitness and injuries etc. These things won't happen dramatically overnight, it will probably need 2-3 years to see a real change, and I'll be happy with that if we can see definite signs of it happening in year one.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PAPA LAZAROU said:

I've often wondered what a goal-keeping coach does anyway? I mean how hard can it be? Yes I understand teaching young kids on the books the basics but what could you be teaching a senior pro keeper he doesn't already know?

Quite a lot in Ward's case. Mainly, that catching the ball / stopping it going in the net is his fookin job!!!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

First thing I would like to see Enzo do is do away with the intro video before every home game showing all our recent success. Can't keep living off the miracle Title win. Needs to be left to history and start a complete new chapter 

Have to agree, it's starting to smell a bit Forest.

I wore my 2016/17 shirt the other day and a Forest mate picked at the PL Winners badge on the sleeve, said 'that'll have to come off now won't it'

No I replied, I think we can leave it on for 40 or 50 years...

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Been at the club 20 years nearly can't think of any other coaches that stay at a club that long!

It’s true, but he’s always been well respected by the goalkeepers and think or the amount of high profile managers we’ve had in and none have considered him a problem. Only need to take the praise Kasper had for him, he’s clearly very good at his job. However if you get given a tin of spam it’s hard to make a filet steak.

44 minutes ago, Muzzy_no7 said:

It really isn’t. 

Is Ward a worse keeper because of his coaching or because he was a couch potato for 4 years. You can turn up to training as much as you like, but not getting regular minutes for that amount of time will only stagnate your abilities. 

32 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

Have a rest, they already accepted responsibility and have now gone with an appointment for the future.

He's managed a full season with the Man City youth team and then a full season with Pep along with Parma and Pellegrini at WHU.

I don't get this view, if he seriously wants to become a manager then he has to start somewhere and with all the experience I think its enough for him to do so.

We are favorites to go up so average championship side don't really wash.

You're broadly right, and yes, he needs to start somewhere. It's just that, generally speaking, if you're gunning for a promotion you look for someone who has started somewhere else and proven to be of the level. I looked at a list of all of the managers to have been promoted in the past decade, and he would definitely be a very rare exception to the rule if he took us up.

I agree that he has some excellent experience. And we should remember that Gillies and even Pearson were largely considered to be Assistants more than managers when we first appointed them. However, the record of assistants and coaches who move into management is really questionable. From Kidd to Karanka to Kelly to Sammy Lee, there are more who flop than there are who succeed. The fact that we've actually had a glimpse of him as a manager and it wasn't particularly inspiring makes it even less likely that he'll excel. As does, sadly, the knowledge that our board are not always the most knowledgeable bunch, and their priorities seemed to hinge on maintaining a fairly ill-advised footballing philosophy which hasn't worked out too well for us, and not having to negotiate for an in-employment manager, and meet his club's and his demands. When you set those parameters and exclude the Duffs, McKennas, Robins, Carricks, Pearsons of the world, you limit your chances a great deal. All of this, together with the sneaking suspicion that this guy could enable them to cut corners with a loan-heavy approach to a rebuild, makes you wonder what they've seen.

So I clung onto this line we kept hearing that he'd blown everyone away at interview. Perhaps he did, but that leads you to believe that, when we get to hear him speak, we'll hear someone with a sense of focus, clarity and purpose. But what we actually saw, if we're honest with ourselves, was someone who struck me as a bit listless, and by no means convincing. I was a bit taken aback by that.

Needless to say, we know that a man's ability to impress in press conferences isn't a priority. Rodgers was the best in the business at that, according to some! But the problem is that, from past managerial experience and from his presentation, there's no real reason to believe that this guy can grab the club by the scruff of the neck, rebuild it, and rally it to success. All we've got to go on is his experience as an assistant, and a supposedly convincing interview which I can't imagine would be anyway near as inspiring to our ears as it was to Top's and Rudkin's.

So he could well be a hugely talented boss. But, just as there's little cause to say that he'll be crap, there's equally little cause to believe he's the right man. History suggests it could be the latest in a long line of clangers dropped by a board who have lost the plot for a couple of years. Still, we've been surprised before. And he has to have full support, and a fair crack of the whip.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, inckley fox said:

You're broadly right, and yes, he needs to start somewhere. It's just that, generally speaking, if you're gunning for a promotion you look for someone who has started somewhere else and proven to be of the level. I looked at a list of all of the managers to have been promoted in the past decade, and he would definitely be a very rare exception to the rule if he took us up.

I agree that he has some excellent experience. And we should remember that Gillies and even Pearson were largely considered to be Assistants more than managers when we first appointed them. However, the record of assistants and coaches who move into management is really questionable. From Kidd to Karanka to Kelly to Sammy Lee, there are more who flop than there are who succeed. The fact that we've actually had a glimpse of him as a manager and it wasn't particularly inspiring makes it even less likely that he'll excel. As does, sadly, the knowledge that our board are not always the most knowledgeable bunch, and their priorities seemed to hinge on maintaining a fairly ill-advised footballing philosophy which hasn't worked out too well for us, and not having to negotiate for an in-employment manager, and meet his club's and his demands. When you set those parameters and exclude the Duffs, McKennas, Robins, Carricks, Pearsons of the world, you limit your chances a great deal. All of this, together with the sneaking suspicion that this guy could enable them to cut corners with a loan-heavy approach to a rebuild, makes you wonder what they've seen.

So I clung onto this line we kept hearing that he'd blown everyone away at interview. Perhaps he did, but that leads you to believe that, when we get to hear him speak, we'll hear someone with a sense of focus, clarity and purpose. But what we actually saw, if we're honest with ourselves, was someone who struck me as a bit listless, and by no means convincing. I was a bit taken aback by that.

Needless to say, we know that a man's ability to impress in press conferences isn't a priority. Rodgers was the best in the business at that, according to some! But the problem is that, from past managerial experience and from his presentation, there's no real reason to believe that this guy can grab the club by the scruff of the neck, rebuild it, and rally it to success. All we've got to go on is his experience as an assistant, and a supposedly convincing interview which I can't imagine would be anyway near as inspiring to our ears as it was to Top's and Rudkin's.

So he could well be a hugely talented boss. But, just as there's little cause to say that he'll be crap, there's equally little cause to believe he's the right man. History suggests it could be the latest in a long line of clangers dropped by a board who have lost the plot for a couple of years. Still, we've been surprised before. And he has to have full support, and a fair crack of the whip.

This could be said about any appointment with a few twists here and there, you have said it yourself Pearson was largely considered an assistant and with even less experience than Enzo but that worked out well didn't it ? so the club has history of making these decisions and have probably done there due diligence on this as well, he's similar to Arteta but with a bit more experience as he has managed and won the league with the Man City youth team over a season in which they went unbeaten in 17 games and at home all season and it was done under his actions so his experience is not that weak.

Even just being around the Man City first as assistant is probably a lot more valuable than managing a league one club for a few seasons especially as we are capable of spending money when required.

I don't think any other manager would have been a better option in the grand scheme of things, the positives massively outweigh the negatives.

Edited by whoareyaaa

With how poor we became in certain areas over the past couple of years I do wonder what the new regime will concentrate on most outside of being physically fit?

Probably mentality and passing accuracy since we are so good at giving the ball away.

Think he will watch and review the current set up at the training ground and those that are not cutting it will want to leave and go to other clubs in a few months time.

What ever happens, it will be interesting and take time but we should see the ball being moved faster pretty much straight away I'd imagine.

25 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Is Ward a worse keeper because of his coaching or because he was a couch potato for 4 years. You can turn up to training as much as you like, but not getting regular minutes for that amount of time will only stagnate your abilities. 

Or encourage you to do better in training to get picked. Ward needs to be moved on, any amount of money offered should be taken.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

Unless they fear being found out somewhere else.

Time to clear the old staff out and have afresh start.

This is the issue, if he was that good a GK coach wouldn't he have been head hunted?

We are s strange club at times.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, inckley fox said:

All of that just too say your not sure, and let's see how it pans out.