Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest Mee-9

Enzo Maresca New Leicester Manager

Reading his CV in Wikipedia was fascinating. He's been described as "the complete player" and won a truckload of titles in Italy and Spain although he seemed to be treated more as a commodity in Italy. Perhaps that's the reason he never got a senior cap for his country. But his personal  attributes, if he can instil them in the City players, would seem well suited to the English and Championship game.

Although he failed in his first managership at Parma, no-one can really expect much more from a first attempt. If he's learned from Guardiola then he's learned from the best. He's chosen a comparitively low risk second attempt. If the squad emerges from this summer with a young and eager complement then it might result in an instant return - with all the concomitant riches that will bring. For the first time in a long time we have a potentially straightforward man at the helm. Relatively young, probably a reasonable English speaker, more interested in the team than his own image and long-term experience at the top level in several countries. What could go wrong. 🤔🙄😕😭

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ithuriel said:

I think of Macarena and that song :facepalm:

I fear for how some of our fans will butcher his name. I mean it’s not that hard yet some of our fans make Merson seem competent.

You just know Macarena will be one of the many variations on Radio Leicester/Talksport. (Not a dig at you btw)

Edited by Matt
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, moore_94 said:

https://football-italia.net/maresca-leicester-city-project-most-interesting-and-fascinating-to-me/

Speaking to La Gazzetta dello Sport, Maresca first discussed his decision to become Leicester City’s new head coach.

“At City they had known for a long time that I wanted to come back and coach on my own. There were several things on the table, the Leicester project seemed the most interesting and fascinating to me.

“And now one of the first things I’m going to do is to call Claudio (Ranieri, ed.), he is an institution at the club and the idea that I can somehow continue or pick up where he left off fills me with pride.”

He looked back at his initial arrival at Manchester City back in August 2020.

“In 2019 I was working with Manuel Pellegrini at West Ham. The experience ended at the end of the year and in the first days of 2020 I come to Manchester to see Guardiola’s training sessions. Pep welcomed me, I stayed four days and a good relationship was born.

“I’d never seen him before, but we hit it off straight away. We stayed in touch and in the summer they offered me to lead City’s Under-23 team.

“I accepted with enthusiasm and things went very well, the team won the league for the first time in their history. The relationship with Pep grew, it solidified. He often came to see our training sessions and he never misses home games.”

The 43-year-old was honest when discussing his brief six-month spell with Parma, whom he left after 13 games.

“Yes. I liked the idea of returning to Italy after so many years, I accepted with enthusiasm and at City they understood and supported me.

“Unfortunately, it didn’t go as I hoped, we signed 14 new players, it was a young team with an international environment, I was training in four languages, and it wasn’t so quick to get certain concepts across.

“The start was difficult and from the outside there was a tendency to always see the glass as half empty. It ended after 13 games and I was very sorry, I still think we were on the right track.”

Maresca then touched on how he went from unemployed after Parma to back at Manchester City.

“From City they kept following me. They saw Parma’s games, they appreciated the ideas I was trying to get across. And I spoke with Pep often. So, when Juanma Lillo – his second in command – left, he asked me to join the staff.”

And now one of the first things I’m going to do is to call Claudio (Ranieri, ed.), he is an institution at the club and the idea that I can somehow continue or pick up where he left off fills me with pride

I hope not literally so :ph34r:

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Tuna said:

I will be honest, I'm slightly concerned about the lack of announcement of coaching staff.

When don't start back until the 3rd, 15 days away.

As long as we have someone in place this week.

I'd imagine he will only be bring 2 in.

32 minutes ago, Tuna said:

I will be honest, I'm slightly concerned about the lack of announcement of coaching staff.

It is a concern but hopefully next week we'll hear more on that. Enzo won't be able to get his philosophy across with the current stale coaching staff we have.

Edited by Foxes BC

59 minutes ago, Matt said:

I fear for how some of our fans will butcher his name. I mean it’s not that hard but some of our fans make Merson seem competent.

You just know Macarena will be one of the many variations on Radio Leicester/Talksport. (Not a dig at you btw)

Merson would probably come out with mascara.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Weren't there work permit issues? 

If they are Italian Passport Holders, even with Brexit this in theory should not be an issue given the amount of Foreign coaches and assistants in the EPL and EFL?   The hold up for Set Piece Coach was probably another fax machine F-up.

I'm quite excited by this appointment. That wouldn't have been the case if we had given the job to Parker or any of the others linked with the job. Give Maresca all the tools and help at our disposal and see how he gets on. It's a big job but a great opportunity for him.

I see there's some support for Stowell and Sadler remaining but not from me. A coach's job is to organise and improve players and our players have been sadly lacking in both these respects.

Likewise with our academy. It's all very well having a £100M training base but if we dont have the right people to identify and bring top talent into the club and top coaches to progress them, then what is the point? I've watched several of the televised games from Seagrave and I've been very, very disappointed.  A couple of the lads show promise but for the rest I can't understand why we are persevering with them as even if they make it to the EFL standard it'll only be at the very bottom leagues. The coaches don't inspire me, who do they answer to? Why are there no recriminations for all our sides finishing bottom or thereabouts in their respective leagues? 

Jon Rudkin presides over the whole football operation and it doesn't need me to point out his shortcomings, Transfers, wages, contracts, appointments all come under his remit and there's been some big failings in all these. All our youngsters are failing, coaches are failing yet Jon Rudkin does nothing. It's not good enough!

Here's to a new dawn under Enzo.