Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest Mee-9

Enzo Maresca New Leicester Manager

1 minute ago, Joe90lcfc said:

I personally think it’s where you are from to how you refer Leicester or city, I find if you live in Leicester  or the surrounding estates or towns, (around 5 mile radius) wigston, braunstone, narborough, glenfeild etc  you say city, if you are not from Leicester and more Leicestershire you say Leicester,  

Think you might be spot on

4 minutes ago, Joe90lcfc said:

I personally think it’s where you are from to how you refer Leicester or city, I find if you live in Leicester  or the surrounding estates or towns, (around 5 mile radius) wigston, braunstone, narborough, glenfeild etc  you say city, if you are not from Leicester and more Leicestershire you say Leicester,  

I lived in Leicester here and there but mainly grew up in the county. It was always 'off to see the citeh today' for the friends and family I went along with. I imagine media influence makes a difference with younger fans, and I can't say it's symptomatic of anything other than that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AjcW said:

Oh god, not this again lol 

It's probably a generational thing, but I imagine for most who have grown up with the 'Premier League era' the Manchester clubs are United and City and that's the easiest way to refer to them. 

I'll be honest i've never walked around saying 'just off to the city game' when coming to a Leicester game, so no idea why so many get so hung up on it.

Easy answer, because I and many others have said that, so random bloke off message boards personal experience doesn't have that much effect on ones own views. A valid question imo. 

• Like 1

Just now, gw_leics772 said:

Easy answer, because I and many others have said that, so random bloke off message boards personal experience doesn't have that much effect on ones own views. A valid question imo. 

Feel like my response was quite open ended as I wanted responses like this… genuinely interested to understand it more 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Joe90lcfc said:

Well i grew up in the county and i'm sure i used 'city' - there was no need to use leicester because everyone knew who you were talking about, and leicester was a place not a team.  That said, now i'm no longer in the area i have to say leicester otherwise,i'm afraid, it would be assumed i was a man city fan. :(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AjcW said:

You okay mate? lol 

id love to know if all the other teams with City in their name feel the same. 

Absolutely. Right as rain, thanks for asking. Yourself?

It's not because we're a 'City.' It's just as rubbish that Man Utd are called simply 'United.'

It's fine for Man Utd/City fans talking to each other.

It's a bit self-centred but understandable for Man Utd/City fans when talking to fans of other clubs.

It's just wrong for anyone else to do it (maybe unless they're talking to Man Utd/City fans and/or in a conversation purely about those clubs).

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

How has a thread about our manager descended into a nonsense argument about the name 'city'? 

Probably because there's absolutely nothing to say about our new manager yet. We can't even discuss his managerial record because he hasn't got one.

Apologies it is my fault the City 'debate' arose.  As a none Fox I would refer to Leicester City as Leicester.  Others would be ....

City - Manchester City

United - Manchester United

Wednesday - there is only one 

Pigs - Sheffield United

Dingles - Barnsley

Boro - Middlesborough

County - Notts County

As an aside a pet hate of mine is when Bristol City or Rovers are referred to as Bristol or Wednesday or Sheff United as Sheffield.  Its bloody ignorant. 

• Like 1

Back to the subject of the new manager, it's sometimes just interesting to hear the views of supporters of other clubs.

Having relatives in Italy it was always interesting for me at least to see what they thought of players potentially linked to us or even Ranieri when he was here. Most of them are keen Juventus fans whilst to their annoyance, my son and I tend to follow Roma.

As for Maresca, the response I got was that he'd clearly been an excellent and well thought of player  when with them though tbh, he did have the right players around him at that time didn't he. More interesting though was that there’d been various at Juventus wanting him to take over there as manager. Partly due to his playing career there and deemed personality traits and partly reportedly because of his relationship both with Pep and the esteem he is supposedly held in by the latter. How they come to that conclusion is anyone's guess though. Of course they recognise that he is largely unproven so it would be a risk whether he could handle the pressure there but one many were seemingly happy to take. However, the supposed, seen by some failure at Parma, was quickly written off as largely predictable and a bit of a poison chalice when he got there.

Just another inconsequential viewpoint perhaps but a positive one at least. Personally, I'm now looking forward to going back down with some optimism as opposed to how I was feeling with some of the other names mentioned. There's a long way to go in regards to who will actually be on the playing and coaching staff at the start of the season and how long they get to work with and influence the players. It could therefore be a slow start and I just hope that it's rightfully recognised by the more vociferous that this is a rebuild that is going to take time.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

As an aside a pet hate of mine is when Bristol City or Rovers are referred to as Bristol or Wednesday or Sheff United as Sheffield.  Its bloody ignorant. 

Yes, that is probably even worse than calling the Manchester clubs 'City' and 'United.'

9 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Apologies it is my fault the City 'debate' arose.  As a none Fox I would refer to Leicester City as Leicester.  Others would be ....

City - Manchester City

United - Manchester United

Wednesday - there is only one 

Pigs - Sheffield United

Dingles - Barnsley

Boro - Middlesborough

County - Notts County

As an aside a pet hate of mine is when Bristol City or Rovers are referred to as Bristol or Wednesday or Sheff United as Sheffield.  It’s bloody ignorant. 

Looking forward to having a Beres when I am next in Sheffield.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Joe90lcfc said:

Even up Loughborough/Quorn/Mountsorrel way plenty refer to the club as City

6 hours ago, smudger63 said:

I want Stowell and Sadler out and replaced. Been at the club too long, we need a change of faces and a fresh beginning.  In fact they can bin Petty from the under 21s while they are at it. Our under 21s last season were woeful!

I'm not against Sadler staying on as long as it's as he goes back to the analyst/training session coach role he had before, and kept well away from match day duties. He was brought in by Pearson, kept on by three successive managers and then promoted by Rodgers - if five gaffers can agree on that much then surely he's decent at what he does.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Joe90lcfc said:

I dunno, I live in Hinckley and round this area we have always referred to us a city.