Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest Mee-9

Enzo Maresca New Leicester Manager

22 minutes ago, 5waller5 said:

You realise DOF is Director Of Football??

The guy is in charge of football operations at a football club that went from being consistently challenging for Europe and winning trophies to relegation??

It’s not scapegoating, it’s highlighting failure to do his job.

Exactly. The more I read the OP’s postings of late, I am convinced he is a relative of Fuffkin. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

I've dwelled a bit on the argument of 'if we just defending better'. You have a look at a lot of the problems when it comes to defending better...and you come back pointing the finger at the club. 

Goalkeeper situation - flogging your captain a week before the season starts. By all means, sell your highest paid player towards the end of his career in the summer but allow yourself plenty of time to get a replacement. Instead, partly through decision making at board level/managerial level, we allowed a leadership void to occur and no replacement. 

Full-backs - A number of superb full-backs badly mis-managed through injury - the club allowed a manager to appoint a guy nicknamed 'Dr Needle' whom believed that having players run on sand would improve their strength post ACL. We then brought in another head of medicine, he lasts a year, a period which involved further breakdowns for the two players who suffered ACL - repeatedly overplayed in games which had a very little riding on them. 

Soyuncu contractural situation - If you believe the rumour, why the ****in hell did they persist with having Soyuncu at the club for a further six months rather than having Atleti sign him for a nominal fee. In the process, you have your manager fielding a player who is mistake ridden in the PL. 

Set-pieces - An issue for three seasons until the club finally insist on a set-piece coach. Ahh his work permit delays his arrival. 

That's before we get into Evans and Faes' arrival. Or when the answer to solve a defensive issue as early as our first season post lockdown under Rodgers was to come up with the solution of Ryan Bennett! 

However, those four issues alone involve the collective thinking of the manager and the Director of Football. A lot of it  is actually not coaching. More strategic thinking that's poor and errored. 

I'd have more patience this summer if this wasn't the sort of consisted erred failing. 

It's true, you can't simplify what's happened by saying simply 'the defence wasn't up to it'. Just at a footballing level that's wide of the mark, because we played three entirely different defences over the past eighteen months or so. Three right backs in Pereira, Justin, Castagne. Three left backs in (avoiding the repetitions) Thomas, Bertrand, Kristiansen. Six CBs in Fofana, Soyuncu, Faes, Evans, Souttar, Amartey. I may be missing some, but there were three entirely different defences' worth of players, most of which had some pedigree, and none of which could defend set pieces, win their 50-50s, hold their station, track their man, or stay convincingly fit.

So whatever was going on clearly had a lot to do with how we looked after players, accommodated more established players further up the pitch, and also what our coaches were asking of everyone. Of course it reflects on the people who have responsibility for keeping an eye on those coaches and for managing our recruitment. This was a major ongoing malfunction which wasn't addressed.

So if you put that shabby defence down to how poor or non-existent the recruitment was at times, injury management, expiring contracts, the substandard coaching, or even the footballing principles which seemed so ill-suited to some of those players, you're still very much at club level.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...you really are overlooking the obvious!!!

The decisions of our previous manager has led to our demise, his team selections and formations contributed to the poor performances throughout the season. Him finally coming to the table to negotiate a settlement agreement in order to leave the club, so as not to be tarnished by a team on his watch being relegated,  was the final act of a self absorbed man hell bent on the preservation of a reputation and brand cultivated for years.

He has not been connected or linked with any Premier League clubs that I have been aware of,

and has now sought refuge in the bussom of a team where success is guaranteed, and a convenient place to hide. 

This is a man who was so willing to make a point, to the club that paid him handsomely for his stewardship, that he threw the first game of the season in order to manifest his anger towards the club. 

Rudkin is lambasted on here as not being fit for purpose, many fingers pointing in his direction as the one to blame, but the only person that carries the burden, so far as I am concerned is Khun Top.

He had countless opportunities to solve this debacle by removing Rodgers from his post, yet chose not to do so. We ended up being 2 points away from salvation, a wasted opportunity. 

That's fair enough - i'm not overlooking the part BR has played in our downfall, in fact i would argue that it appears to be mainly at his door.  I'm just pointing out that there was possibly very little the board could have done to improve things (despite everyone simply saying that they could have done something - we , as fans, simply don't know this) - in particular Rudkin seems to be everyone's scapegoat, but as you say BR was fudging things on the pitch and it is top who is responsible for his employment/sacking - so i don't really see what influence rudkin had on this. 

• Haha 1

I sometimes wonder if we're the ones who are out of touch and unreasonable. So every so often I like to means test the theory it was a freak season of failure in an otherwise well oiled machine.

Our average wage as at the 2021/22 set of accounts had spiralled to £94k a week and a shocking 80+ % wage/turnover ratio.

Our chronic injury issues can be traced back not to 2021/22, not to 2020/21 but to the latter part of 2019/20. Less than a full year in to the Brendan Rodgers regime. We have never recovered. We were told it would be much improved once we didn't have Europe to deal with. That has not been an obvious improvement in 2022/23.

We went from having the best metrics defensively in 2019/20 to the worst. That wasn't a stark change that suddenly occurred in 2022/23 but had steadily got worse each season. In 2021/22 our xG was borderline relegation material and what was keeping us away from the relegation zone was above average finishing and Kasper Schmeichel. 

Ever since late 2020/21 it became clear we had a number of players that needed to be moved on, 2 years later and the same players are still here or walked away on a free. Players we were told were surplus to requirements, players we as a club last summer at a time when we simply had to raise funds to buy anyone and yet turned bids down for such players. The mind boggles. We've since found it wasn't finances that were the main issue here, therefore not accepting bids because they didn't match our asking price is quite something.

Lee Congerton was told his contract would not be extended, alluding to a dissatisfaction with his performanceas head of recruitment. Dr Bryan English left after a year of being here, suggesting it didn't work out in the midst of a worsening injury crisis. 

Not every signing works, we've had disaster transfer windows in the past, see 2016/17 but the difference between then and in recent years is those players tended to be easily moved on, often for what we paid for them (Kramaric, Musa, Iborra) but again, due to the wages we offered straight off the bat meant we have struggled to shift players on.

Yet despite the struggles of last summer, the warnings of what Rodgers destructive comments and attitude might do to a team that knew the manager no longer had faith in them, yet when was neither backed nor sacked, the club continued to not learn from past mistakes. Only on transfer deadline day at the end of January have we been told by reporters close to Leeds Utd that we had a £100k a week offer on the table for Jack fcukin Harrison. It's beggars belief.

Our defensive set piece record went from one of the best in the league to one of the worst in a few years, steadily getting worse each year until we got a set piece coach in nearly a year after it was abundantly clear it was causing a large part of our decline.

The Athletic reported this year that due to frustrations and disillusion for their analysis and recommendations not listened to, analysts and scouts have requested moves away from the club. A club that over the last decade has been the envy of many for our innovation, sports science, recruitment and methods. If these staff weren't leaving because they were being ignored, they've also left in other areas because we have absolutely no appetite to promote from within. So many scouts and analysts got promotions elsewhere, whilst we were busy giving jobs to Rudkin's disciples and anyone Brendan suggested. Many of which have been moved on either before or certainly not had their initial contracts extended. 

It's when I consider all of this, I get even more angry by our decline. It could have been prevented, it could have been stopped, yet we've nose dived straight in to oblivion and yet some still think it's just one of those things that happen. Bollocks

I understand what you are saying and I don't think anyone is saying that relegation couldn't have been avoided - unfortunately in a machine with so many moving parts it isn't always obvious to see which piece is broken and, as in this case, there clearly were several parts not functioning to their best - but such situations are largely cause and effect and given how little we know about the inner machinations of the club it is dangerous to assume we understand what is cause and what is effect.

But as fans i still believe we owe it to the club, especially one that has proven more than capable in the last decade, to distinguish between people struggling to deal with situations that are new to them and people being not fit for purpose - from my perspective, i err towards the former - i see your list of complaints, but to expect a club at this level to sail peacefully through every season without issue is naïve - even at man u and chelsea, at newcastle and everton, we see clubs with all kinds of problems, but with much more experience in dealing with difficulties.  As you point out there have been issues, some of which we brought about, some of which were unforeseeable, that have hit the club hard and the club, especially Top, being thrown into this situation, have, it's fair to say, not managed it especially well, though it is equally unfair to suggest (as many are doing) that the board have simply ignored problems or done nothing about them.  As bad as relegation is, we need to recognise that other ownerships may have sent the club into administration or simply abandoned the club and walked away - Top has not done this, and yet  the amount of venom spat at him and Rudkin, the suggestions that they don't care, are appallingly disrespectful and seem to be based purely on the end result (relegation) rather than a considered appreciation of everything that they have had to deal with (from injuries to ego) over the last three years.

We need to stop believing that we know everything and that we have the capacity to second guess decisions that, in hindsight, have proven unsuccessful - we may not approve of how the club has been run, but unless we have been party to the decision making process (which clearly we have not), we will never understand what truly happened and why.  All this blaming and insults and feeling sorry for ourselves will get us nowhere - as you fully understand, the difference between success and failure in the PL is wafer thin, it takes nothing to drop great distances, but equally it takes nothing to change things, to get back again - we're a yoyo club, but too many of our fans have become wretched entitled babies to whom only top 6 is good enough.

I know it hurts, i'm hurting too, but even now i'm finding silver linings and viewing this as a situation that, in the long run, may turn out to be the best thing that could have happened to us.

Edited by Lillehamring
bold type
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, mozartfox said:

Exactly. The more I read the OP’s postings of late, I am convinced he is a relative of Fuffkin. 

Not at all, i'm just not going to ignorantly wade into blame and accusation when i don't have the facts in front of me - the same as every single person on this board.

I prefer to be openminded and fair rather than blinkered and judgemental - i'm happy to accept that decisions made by the DoF haven't worked out, but i refuse to speculate on his capacity to do his job and certainly, unlike some, to judge him as a person.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

Not at all, i'm just not going to ignorantly wade into blame and accusation when i don't have the facts in front of me - the same as every single person on this board.

I prefer to be openminded and fair rather than blinkered and judgemental - i'm happy to accept that decisions made by the DoF haven't worked out, but i refuse to speculate on his capacity to do his job and certainly, unlike some, to judge him as a person.

You're right in that people have long had it in for Rudkin. He's an easier target than players and managers who have brought us success, and especially moreso than owners who have won the affection of the fans.

But the truth behind all of this is unlikely to be that such wonderful club leaders, be they Rudkin, Whelan or Top, are incapable of having flown so spectacularly off the rails. When you look at the catalogue of very clear and demonstrable errors that they have made, the more likely explanation would be that either the new chairman really doesn't have as good a handle on things as the old one or, likelier still, the owners were an ingredient in our ascent, but not nearly as crucial an element as was maintained. The miraculous bargains that were done - and the astounding over-performance of apparently quite limited players - really wasn't their work. And this inevitably leads to people with serious responsibilities believing that they simply need to keep doing what they're doing when, in truth, what they were doing was never as important as they'd have you believe.

Of course, this is opinion and speculation. But to get to the point that you've got to, where you have faith in our leaders, also requires a lot of opinion and speculation.

The solid evidence that we've got in front of us is that very concrete, very identifiable, and very avoidable mistakes have been repeatedly made by these people over the past 18 months. It doesn't mean that they're irredeemable, but they still undeniably occurred, they were still undeniably errors, undeniably the responsibility of those people in charge.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

I won't judge him as a person but considering that the Mens PL and PL2 teams are failing and the Womens team is barely scraping by he is failing on every metric and is not good enough at his job. Throw in every other issue that has been gone over in great detail the DOF is very much out of his depth and is a hinderance on the club. 

8th highest wage bill in the country and we got relegated. Its not good enough. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Given that it looks like we are going to sign Harry Winks, it made me think about why we'd be signing a player like that, who is known for being a good ball recycler and good in a possession based team.

Many might fear that we will look like a Rodgers / Puel team, but whilst there will be aspects of that as teams come to the KP and setup as a deep block, Man City use that possesion to create chances in a systematic way. If you are bored, check out the following article from the highly rated Speilverlagerung blog, which analyses how their chance creation works:

https://spielverlagerung.com/2020/09/21/analysing-manchester-citys-attack-chance-creation-methods/

It will take time, but I would put money on us playing in similar ways to make chances. Arteta and Kompany have both managed to repeat the trick with Arsenal and Burnley respetively.

What types of players that we have in our current squad do you think will be best suited for this setup/style? May give us an indication into how big of an overhaul we will likely see this summer. 

6 hours ago, STUHILL said:

What types of players that we have in our current squad do you think will be best suited for this setup/style? May give us an indication into how big of an overhaul we will likely see this summer. 

Great question!

The best suited player is without doubt Ricardo. Fast, a hard worker, great defensive stats, comfortable inside and out. If you look at the article I shared it shows you a few examples of how their full backs are used, notably for underlaps and overlaps, but also to create room for wingers to dribble diagonally inside.

James Justin I could see also suiting the style, but it really depends on what sort of shape he's in after 2 injury-ridden years. Kristiansen I'm less sure of, but I was pretty impressed whenever I saw him given his age. Luke Thomas will be an interesting one to judge... clearly not ready for the Premier League he could excel in an attacking team, but decision-making and knowing when and when not to go might be tricky for him.

Souttar I could see being like a mini Akanji for us, he's got good progressive passing. Under Puel Harry Maguire used to have a lot of the ball and often times went past Ndidi to create for us and I could see something like that happening again.

Both Vardy and Nacho could excel but in different ways. Nacho would be more like Man City under Guardiola where the striker was expected to link a lot of the play, and we know he's good at that plus his cup record suggests Championship teams should fear him. Vardy might be old, but he's got exceptional movement and in a fluid system we will find him a lot.

The biggest issues are the inside forwards and creative midfielders. If Barnes stays he will be the best player in the division by miles. But given we've got 46 games we are going to have sign at least 2 if not more you would think. Harry Winks is more of the Fernandinho / Rodri type, and we are going to sell our KDB in Maddison.

Players I would fear for:

- Iversen. If his kicking doesn't improve he won't suit the system and I could see Ward starting ahead of him. Yes really!

- Faes. How good is his passing? Forgetting the calamities on and off the ball, I don't think he's as good as Souttar or Coady on the ball.

- Choudhury / Ndidi. Don't think either are technical enough for the sort of play style we are going to try. Wilf needs a change of scenery desperately.

- Daka. On paper he should be a better Vardy but I don't think his style of play is that well suite to a deep block because his movement isn't as good as Vardy's. But surely he should piss this division?

Of course it's all conjecture! I will be watching the pre-season games with an eagle eye!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

- Daka. On paper he should be a better Vardy but I don't think his style of play is that well suite to a deep block because his movement isn't as good as Vardy's. But surely he should piss this division?

He was signed as a replacement for Haaland because a club with one of the best recruitment teams in the world thought he had a comparable statistical profile and skillset. That's Erling Haaland who identifies Vardy as an inspiration, Haaland who just had a great year playing Pep-ball.

Now he's at Leicester who identified him as a replacement for Vardy for the same reasons.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

He was signed as a replacement for Haaland because a club with one of the best recruitment teams in the world thought he had a comparable statistical profile and skillset. That's Erling Haaland who identifies Vardy as an inspiration, Haaland who just had a great year playing Pep-ball.

Now he's at Leicester who identified him as a replacement for Vardy for the same reasons.

Daka was signed well before Haaland. I agree with your point though, and to add it's not like sides in Austria are playing on the front foot against Salzburg I imagine a majority sit deep so he's clearly capable of doing it and being successful.

• Like 1

On 26/06/2023 at 17:13, inckley fox said:

You're right in that people have long had it in for Rudkin. He's an easier target than players and managers who have brought us success, and especially moreso than owners who have won the affection of the fans.

But the truth behind all of this is unlikely to be that such wonderful club leaders, be they Rudkin, Whelan or Top, are incapable of having flown so spectacularly off the rails. When you look at the catalogue of very clear and demonstrable errors that they have made, the more likely explanation would be that either the new chairman really doesn't have as good a handle on things as the old one or, likelier still, the owners were an ingredient in our ascent, but not nearly as crucial an element as was maintained. The miraculous bargains that were done - and the astounding over-performance of apparently quite limited players - really wasn't their work. And this inevitably leads to people with serious responsibilities believing that they simply need to keep doing what they're doing when, in truth, what they were doing was never as important as they'd have you believe.

Of course, this is opinion and speculation. But to get to the point that you've got to, where you have faith in our leaders, also requires a lot of opinion and speculation.

The solid evidence that we've got in front of us is that very concrete, very identifiable, and very avoidable mistakes have been repeatedly made by these people over the past 18 months. It doesn't mean that they're irredeemable, but they still undeniably occurred, they were still undeniably errors, undeniably the responsibility of those people in charge.

That's all fair enough - i feel like my point in all this has rather got lost, and that's that we can see that they made bad decisions, but we can't see why they made these decisions - as such I'm not going to form an online lynch mob and chastise them - it feels like there was a lot more to this decline than people will ever know.

At the end of the day, sitting on here, as many seem to do, calling them names and ludicrously shaming them isn't going to help anyone. 

• Sad 1

On 26/06/2023 at 17:15, Dames said:

I won't judge him as a person but considering that the Mens PL and PL2 teams are failing and the Womens team is barely scraping by he is failing on every metric and is not good enough at his job. Throw in every other issue that has been gone over in great detail the DOF is very much out of his depth and is a hinderance on the club. 

8th highest wage bill in the country and we got relegated. Its not good enough. 

The Academy team was somewhat unfortunate, by the end they were playing with a terribly young and inexperienced squad due to loans and really key injuries.

The women's team have put in a phenomenal season, despite it still only being a few years since they turned pro - and key to that success was the change of manager and the introduction of key loan players into the squad - if that is the remit of the DoF it actually proves that he did an incredible job to change the fortunes of the club.

The wage bill was a necessary evil brought about by needing to strengthen for europe, which turned out to be a poisoned chalice when we failed to qualify and could no longer afford said salary; it was a risk the club had to take, it was all or nothing and unfortunately it didn't go our way - but again that isn't a dereliction of duty, that's an occupational hazard.

• Sad 1

On 26/06/2023 at 17:30, coolhandfox said:

Wouldn't it be better to have a Rudkin thread? 

Keeping this free for discussions about Maresca. 

I think we're done now ;)

10 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

The Academy team was somewhat unfortunate, by the end they were playing with a terribly young and inexperienced squad due to loans and really key injuries.

The women's team have put in a phenomenal season, despite it still only being a few years since they turned pro - and key to that success was the change of manager and the introduction of key loan players into the squad - if that is the remit of the DoF it actually proves that he did an incredible job to change the fortunes of the club.

The wage bill was a necessary evil brought about by needing to strengthen for europe, which turned out to be a poisoned chalice when we failed to qualify and could no longer afford said salary; it was a risk the club had to take, it was all or nothing and unfortunately it didn't go our way - but again that isn't a dereliction of duty, that's an occupational hazard.

He has nothing to do with the Womens team. 

Willie Kirk was their DoF but then stepped into manager role. As it stands there is no DoF of the Female set up. 

Also think you are talking utter codswallop when you say the increasing of wage bill is an occupational hazard rather than a dereliction of duty. We didn’t need a wage bill of that size to qualify for Europe for two season consecutively. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

...interesting take on the situation, it sounds about right to me!!!

• Sad 1

Still no word on who will make up Maresca's backroom staff ahead of pre-season next week. Vitello (sp?) was touted as his assistant, but perhaps there's still work permit wranglings going on there.

Although to be fair, do we as a club ever announce these kinds of things?

Edited by CloudFox