Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest Mee-9

Enzo Maresca New Leicester Manager

2 hours ago, Vindaloo FOX said:

Does Enzo play with wingers?

Bit worried we have not been linked with any.

He started off playing with them at Palma and they had several but then moved to 3-4-1-2 and was sacked. Played exclusively with wingers previously with Mn City U21's - Palmer, Edozie etc

• Like 1

I haven’t really got any concerns about his tactical know how. Given his role at Man City he clearly knows his football. Think the only question mark over will be around his man management, can he keep a squad of players on their toes and motivated for a long season. Time will tell, but the signs are positive from his time with the U23s.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Played exclusively with wingers previously with Mn City U21's - Palmer, Edozie

They're both inverted wingers... I remember reading somewhere else that the Man City youth use traditional wingers, such as Carlos Borges (left footed LW).

Which option will Maresca use?

5 hours ago, brookfox said:

I haven’t really got any concerns about his tactical know how. Given his role at Man City he clearly knows his football. Think the only question mark over will be around his man management, can he keep a squad of players on their toes and motivated for a long season. Time will tell, but the signs are positive from his time with the U23s.

In my mind man management is often the role of the assistant. The manager makes a decision that a player isn't happy with, the assistant comes and puts an arm around to comfort and motivate. This separation of duties allows the manager to make 'difficult' decisions, and keep people motivated.

2 minutes ago, Merging Cultures said:

In my mind man management is often the role of the assistant. The manager makes a decision that a player isn't happy with, the assistant comes and puts an arm around to comfort and motivate. This separation of duties allows the manager to make 'difficult' decisions, and keep people motivated.

...players said Rodgers was the best that they have played under and his man-management skills are what they cite all the time!!!

Man-management is the ability to speak to a player and openly give them instructions of what you require from them and also to be honest in how you relate to them. If as a manager you pull a player to one side and tell him that he is not in the first eleven for the upcoming game, and explain the reason for this (perhaps he wants someone who is a bit more defensive-minded to help out the Full Back, from possible overloads) then the player can understand that is an aspect of his game that needs to be worked on and he can view how his replacement deals with the situation and learn whilst on the bench.

It is not just the physical arm around the shoulder, but the ability to convey honest assessment and instructions himself, and be respected for that.

1 hour ago, Merging Cultures said:

All players also sometime have to accept these are my desciscions…accept or Academy can be accommodating for awhile..

Or you all attack the manager & you have a Rodgers situation..:P

7 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...players said Rodgers was the best that they have played under and his man-management skills are what they cite all the time!!!

Man-management is the ability to speak to a player and openly give them instructions of what you require from them and also to be honest in how you relate to them. If as a manager you pull a player to one side and tell him that he is not in the first eleven for the upcoming game, and explain the reason for this (perhaps he wants someone who is a bit more defensive-minded to help out the Full Back, from possible overloads) then the player can understand that is an aspect of his game that needs to be worked on and he can view how his replacement deals with the situation and learn whilst on the bench.

It is not just the physical arm around the shoulder, but the ability to convey honest assessment and instructions himself, and be respected for that.

Yeah but telling players they’re playing well and blowing smoke up their ar$es when they clearly aren’t doing well doesn’t get you anywhere.

Well, it does… it get’s you relegated. 

wingers or overlapping wing-backs? 

What we thinking? 

We have no real wingers on the books (if Barnes goes), but we have players like Ricardo, Justin and Kristianson and a lot of central defenders to play a back 3. 

Logic would suggest we are more ready for 3-5-2. Otherwise we will need to sign 3 or 4 wingers in this window? Ideally need 2 players for each position. 

Is it more viable to pick up 1 other wing-back style defender, rather than need to sign and settle in 3/4 wingers? 

All depends on Enzo of course, but curious what people think. 

8 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

I don't think Rodgers had any man management skills. If he did, they'd have been playing for him and the club. It didn't look like that. And rightly so given he slagged then off all the time.

3 hours ago, Leeds Fox said:

Yeah but telling players they’re playing well and blowing smoke up their ar$es when they clearly aren’t doing well doesn’t get you anywhere.

Well, it does… it get’s you relegated. 

...I think the salient part of my post was being honest with the individual player!!!

So long as you sit down and explain your reasoning, you will have a better rapport and understanding.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Merging Cultures said:

I don't think Rodgers had any man management skills. If he did, they'd have been playing for him and the club. It didn't look like that. And rightly so given he slagged then off all the time.

...you will be surprised then how many of the first eleven backed him!!!

That perhaps was part of the reason for the disjointed team performances. There were players who I would suspect were waiting for the axe to fall on him and the majority would have been in his camp. Like FT Rodgers split the group, the influential players were on his side and players such as Soyuncu, Castagne and Vestergaard saw right through him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, STUHILL said:

wingers or overlapping wing-backs? 

What we thinking? 

We have no real wingers on the books (if Barnes goes), but we have players like Ricardo, Justin and Kristianson and a lot of central defenders to play a back 3. 

Logic would suggest we are more ready for 3-5-2. Otherwise we will need to sign 3 or 4 wingers in this window? Ideally need 2 players for each position. 

Is it more viable to pick up 1 other wing-back style defender, rather than need to sign and settle in 3/4 wingers? 

All depends on Enzo of course, but curious what people think. 

Based off Tanners article earlier, he said our next priority will be attacking midfielders and wingers so can only assume we’re sticking to 4-3-3?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

Based off Tanners article earlier, he said our next priority will be attacking midfielders and wingers so can only assume we’re sticking to 4-3-3?

433 with Coady in a back 4??? The moment Wolves moved away from their 3 at the back, Coady was not that guy anymore. 

Did Everton play 4 at the back with Coady? Not that they were any good anyway as they conceded a lot.

26 minutes ago, Koke said:

433 with Coady in a back 4??? The moment Wolves moved away from their 3 at the back, Coady was not that guy anymore. 

Did Everton play 4 at the back with Coady? Not that they were any good anyway as they conceded a lot.

Seems like Dyche binned him out of the starting line up pretty quickly. 

Even Rudkin isn't so inept as to sign a player that only suits a back 3 when the manager is planning on playing a 4 surely?

Castagne came out and commented that sometimes the players didn't understand what the manager wanted. He was unexplicably dropped for a couple of games 🤣.

I don't think a player very often comments to the media that their manager is poor in any way, they always give a positive spin ... until they retire and their book comes out 🤣🤣

I think it's well documented that at least two ex players in the shape of Matt Mills and Glen Johnson weren't overly impressed by him. I heard the latter live on Talksport as I was driving and was laughing out load, rarely have I heard such opinions aired. 

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

Or 3-4-2-1 and the ACM's / wingers are the likes of Oscar Bobb / Omari Hutchinson who can play either.

I think we'll vary our formations across the season.

• Like 3

Cesc Fabregas played under Wenger, Pep, Mourinho and Conte. With the amount of information he got from all those elite coaches, you'd think he'd be a ready made world class coach/manager. But strangely football is the only industry where it doesn't work like that. If you worked under the 4 best engineers of the last 30 years, you'd probably be in the top 1% in your field.

5 hours ago, Koke said:

11 players defend. The idea that a centre back can't play in one of either a 2 or a 3 is as daft as the idea that a striker can't play as a lone 9. 

If the team are well drilled and we've got the right shape, particularly in the midfield, he'll be fine. Especially in the Championship. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

11 players defend. The idea that a centre back can't play in one of either a 2 or a 3 is as daft as the idea that a striker can't play as a lone 9. 

If the team are well drilled and we've got the right shape, particularly in the midfield, he'll be fine. Especially in the Championship. 

I know it's crazy but players are bought and sold based on stuff like if they can play as a left sided centre back or as a lone 9 in a 4231.